XP not recognizing AGP 8X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP not recognizing AGP 8X

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone here could help. My problem is that when I look in my nVidia control panel it says my mobo and card can both support 8X AGP but my OS only supports 2X AGP. I have tried installing the newest Hyperion and nVidia drivers. The Hyperions will not istall because SP2 says they are not required but when I look at my driver date it says it is from 2001 ! If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

AMD Sempron 3000+
    ASUStek A7V8X-LA KM400(A) VT8237
    (2) 512 MB PNY PC2700
    BFGTech 5500 OC 256MB (nVidia card)
    580w Generic Brand PSU
    TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD Drive
    Maxtor 2F040L0 40 GB
    VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Creative AudioPCI ES1371
    Windows XP SP2
    Last edited by CamKong; 02-19-2005, 10:22 PM. Reason: Didn't finish

Re: XP not recognizing AGP 8X

Im not sure what you are asking here... Windows XP supports 8x AGP, the newest nVidia Drivers should work just dandy(here is the link for the newest non-beta version)

Click on "Graphics Drivers" - "GeForce and TNT2" - "Windows XP/2000" then "GO"

Comment

I am asking why the nVidia control panel says that my OS( I assume it means Operating System) only supports AGP2X. I would normally assume that this was simply an inaccuracy but my brothers rig gets nearly twice the FPS in DOOM3 and scores nearly double what mine does in Performance Test(benchmark utility) in the graphics tests and his mobo only supports AGP4X! BTW I already installed the newest drivers and checked all my BIOS settings. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Comment

Originally posted by CamKong
        I am asking why the nVidia control panel says that my OS( I assume it means Operating System) only supports AGP2X.
        This is what happens when you havn't installed the VIA 4in1 drivers properly, they must be loaded straight after the os and before the video drivers.

Comment

My pc says the same thing, e.g OS 2x. All the others say 8x. If it says 8x in the bios it is running correctly. Aparently it is a windows misreport (according to another forum I have read, Guru3D I believe)

Just as a note here: I have a Ti 4200 in a P4PE m/board in a different machine which reads 4x across the board, I have a friend with the same m/board (P4PE) with a GF fx5200 in it , he gets 3x for os, yet all report correct agp speeds in the bios.

Glitchy Windows/Nvidia control panel ???

As to the Doom3 fps etc are the cpu's ram m/board, resolutions etc all exactly the same?
          What is the difference in background programs you have running etc?

BTW SisoftSandra reports all these cards working at their correct agp speeds, insatll procedure post format; XP SP1, m/board drivers, vid card drivers, SP2.
          Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM.
          E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Thanks ANZAC_ELITE. I was kinda hoping it was just an inaccuracy in the nVidia control panel. My brothers computer is:
            AMD Athlon 2400+ (2.0 GHz)
            ATI Radeon 9550 All-In-Wonder 256 MB
            FIC AM37 mobo
            1 GB PC2700 RAM

and we are running the exact same resolution,AA,AF, etc...
            Shouldn't mine be pushing more FPS? I have a 333MHz FSB, 512K L2 cache, 8X AGP whereas his is only 266MHz FSB, 256 L2 cache and 4X AGP other than that they are pretty much identical computers. In all the other benchmarking tests my comp is slightly better but when it comes to graphics his is killing mine. I don't know if mentioned this but I am only getting 10 FPS in DOOM3 at med graphics level(600X800)
            with all the options off. I read some comparison articles and this card was getting 30-40 fps at this level, most likely this was on a better machine but I don't think that crappy performance level is normal. Oh yeah, my computer bundle already came with XP SP2 preinstalled. Is there a certain sequence I have to follow for installing drivers since I already have SP2?

Comment

I've not had a lot to do with radeons but I have seen in other forums some mention of a "driver cleaner" programme. (sorry the name escapes me at present)

As always when updating vid card drivers remove the old ones first before installing new ones
              E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

There is almost no difference in real world speed between 8X and 4X AGP. You will only see the difference in benchmarking and it will be minimum there too. I have an ATI 9800 PRO and on AQUAMARK3 benchmark the difference between 8X abd 4X is less than 500 points. See if you can find a setting in BIOS for AGP speeds. If not, download EVEREST and it should give you correct speed listing.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate
                Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I had this same problem. The solution for me was to updated the agp motherboard driver. After updating it add a new device in system devices in device manager. The new device is called CPU to apg 2.0/3.0 controller. Which now gives me my 8x setting. My motherboard beening a fic your system device name my vary. Hope it helps

Comment

Working...
                  X