Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he file directx.cpl is an older version which could cause problems

Hi,

Ran dxdiag today and this message "the file directx.cpl is an older version which could cause problems" appears in the directx files window!!! I'm running 9.0c and tried all the obvious things like re-installing Nvidia drivers and even tried using different versions but this has made no difference. I am unable to re-install directx as it runs and just goes straight to finish as it confirms I have the latest version installed!

Help, cannot seem to clear this problem.

Thx,
    Josh

Re: he file directx.cpl is an older version which could cause problems

You could try reinstalling the chipset drivers, too. But, if nothing is going wrong, don't worry about it too much. Hell, it might just be a meaningless bug in 9.0C. Google around if you really want to know about more possible causes. That might lead you to a fix.

Comment

I have had the same problem. Have you been recieving graphical glitches in windows and in games?

Comment

The .cpl file extension is short for control panel, so directx.cpl refers to a file/program running under Control Panel. Open your control panel and look for the black and yellow "X" icon. This is the icon linked to the directx.cpl file. What this error message means is that you have an earlier version of this file which may not report or function correctly with later versions of DirectX. As far as I know, it shouldn't affect your ability to install or use later versions of DirectX (unless perhaps you have used it to change some of the settings.) It may simply misreport DirectX 9 as being DirectX 2 for example.

You can download a newer version of the directx.cpl file for DirectX 9.0C at the following link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4017.html
        or just use the attached zip file which I downloaded from the same site. It's a Microsoft product so you can probably find it somewhere on their site as well. Unzip the file and either overwrite or copy the new directx.cpl file into the Windows/system32 folder (WinXP & 2000.) Try the Windows/system folder for Win98 & ME. When finished, look for the DirectX icon in your control panel and click for more info.

If you don't already have this handy little utility, you might want to consider installing it on your PC. It also fits on a floppy so you can take it with you and quickly check the DirectX version running on any PC. It allows direct access to the DXdiag program as well. Just be careful not to mess with any settings you don't understand and you should be in good shape. That's why Microsoft didn't include this tool in their standard OS but made it available only to advanced users. Hope this was helpful guys and best of luck...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by techchick; 02-17-2005, 03:31 PM.

Comment

i have DX10 and the directx.cpl is older

hi everybody....

i have recently installed dx10 RC2 prefix3 and SDK FEB10(the latest version)
          and my control panel saying that it is older now what to do.....I have xp os and nvidia 9400GT graphics card........

help me pls....

Comment

So long as everything is working I don't think I'd worry too much. You are using a prerelease hacked method of running DX10 (on Windows XP I assume) ... it is no surprise that some files are going to have issues. If it all works be happy ... if not you may find more help on some of the sites that supply the install package for your hack.
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
            X