Terrible driver predicament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible driver predicament

This is a letter that I sent to Sapphire, my video card manufacturer. It is addressing a problem that I am experiencing with my Radeon 9500 PRO. I wanted to place it here because I was hoping that one of you experts could help me to help myself fix this problem. Thank you for your help.

"Dear Sir,

I have a problem with one of your products. It is a Radeon 9500 PRO 128 Megabytes AGP 8x.

My sytem specs are:

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz 533FSB
    Asus P4G8X Deluxe mobo
    1 gigabyte of Kingston pc 2700 RAM
    Windows XP Home OEM edition
    Radoen 9500 PRO
    Seagate Barricuda SATA 80 GB HDD

Here is the problem I am experiencing. Your driver that came on a disk with your video card is not working. After 10 mintues or so my screen freezes and than goes blank after 10 or 15 seconds. Than my screen comes back, but in 800X400 resolution and 4 bit color! There is also a message screen that comes up that says something like: Warning! Device Failure. Must contact manufacturer if problem persists. Restart computer now". By the way, that is not the exact wording. I can't remember it now and l Iost the sheet of paper that i wrote it down on. If i try to reset the display settings my screen goes blank and the computer restarts.

After many times of this happening and me ignoring it, windows pinpoints the problem to a display driver called, atidvag.dll.

Here is what I have done to try to fix the problem. One of the first things that I did was try to update the driver with the newest catalyst 3.6. That did not work. Next, I tried to uninstall the driver. It would not let me! So, I booted into safe mode with the command prompt and deleted "atidvag.dll" manually. That rid the whole machine of all ati drivers. than i reinstalled them. Again......nothing happened. Same problem. This time i decided to go into the command prompt again and get rid of the same driver. Than my plan was to download a whole new driver off of the internet and skip the contents of the cd. When I put my plan into action, I couldn't uninstall the drivers manually! I had to go into regedit to delete them. After that tedious project I downloaded the driver new driver from the web site. When I tried to install it I got 2 messages in succession. The first said, "Severe, INF error Video driver not found." THe next one said,"Severe Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup." I don't understand why I can't install it. I now assume it requires the driver on the disk! But that has something wrong with it.

What should I do now? I can't use the old driver that came on the disk and I can't install the one from the internet. I was also thinking that Windows might be at fault and that conducting a repair would fix the issue. OR you could send me a new driver disk.

Thank you for your time. It is most appreciated. I hope that my letter had all the sufficient information required.

Aras"

Well that was the letter. What did you think? Pretty wordy? Well i wanted them to have all the info they needed because I am tired of this problem. Again, thanx for your input.

I believe you have created a problem for yourself be editing the manually removing the ATi drivers from the registry.

have you tried any of this while in safe mode? If you have then I would suggest that you need to do a "repair" on your os to correct the registry issue. The driver that you downloaded from the net should not be an issue.

Comment

Did ya try the repair like I suggested yesterday evenin' m8?

Comment

did you try the Microsoft way like the error said? Let Windows (if using XP) "Install default drivers" THEN install the ATI drivers.

Comment

Did you switch from an nvidia card to that 9500? ATI and NVidia drivers just dont like each other and will definitely cause conflicts/errors/nuclear disaster.

If it were me with this problem, I'd reinstall windows because that would almost definitely fix the problem. If this is feasible for you, definitely try it. If not I'm not really sure what else to tell ya :/

Comment

Re: Terrible driver predicament

I've had the same problem, and have done virtually the same things, to no avail. Is it possible the problem is within the actual hardware and not within the drivers?

Anyhow....if someone has manage to fixed this annoying problem (without replacing the entire radeon9800 lol) please post the solution......I have tried just about everything and am at wits end

Thanks for the help :)

Comment

Re: Terrible driver predicament

I've had the same problem and after trying all the software fixes, in the end Sony had to replace my motherboard. Their technical people told me that its a hardware problem.

Comment

Working...
              X