Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with my CPU cooler?

Hey there,
    So, in BIOS it says that the CPU cooler is at 0 RPM, so it means that it's not spinning at all... When I opened it everything was working fine, but the bios still says 0 RPM. So here is what's happening, I start a game that needs more graphics performance, such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Lucius, even Vine videos, the computer lags for about 3 seconds and freezes until I force it to shut down by holding the power off button and then powering it on again. Maybe it's connected to the graphics card, maybe it's connected to the game (this never happens when I play Audiosurf, but it's a very low quality game), or maybe it's my Windows XP glitching or bugging because Microsoft doesn't support it any more, plus its 32bit (x86). :p :(
    I would be very happy if someone here is able to help me.
    Qualtrox
    Attached Files

Re: What's up with my CPU cooler?

I used a program called SpeedFan (v4.49) from here: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer and in the Charts tab when selecting Fan Speeds it only shows up Fan3.

Comment

It would help if we knew what CPU cooler and fan you're using, not to mention the board and CPU...

How about using a three pin fan on a four pin fan header? But we just don't know...

Plus your 5V and 12V voltages are close to being outside the ATX specs: 5V - +4.75 V to +5.25 V. 12V - +11.40 V to +12.60 V.
      Last edited by parsec; 02-05-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        It would help if we knew what CPU cooler and fan you're using, not to mention the board and CPU...

How about using a three pin fan on a four pin fan header? But we just don't know...
        Wait I'll post that right away...

Comment

This is what I have:
          CPU: Intel Pentium 4 650 (3.40 GHz, 1 core, 2 threads, installed on LGA775)
          Motherboard: MSI G41M-P26 (MS-7592)
          I can't find a program or document from which I can see what is the certain cooler type, I know it's a Cooler Master. There is one 2 pin cable with a closed end hanging loose with a label "Do not pull", one 3 pin that goes into the motherboard.

PS: I'm planning to change my CPU to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (2M cache, 1.86 GHz, 2 cores).

Comment

Plus your 5V and 12V voltages are close to being outside the ATX specs: 5V - +4.75 V to +5.25 V. 12V - +11.40 V to +12.60 V.
            What do you mean by this?

Comment

Originally posted by Qualtrox View Post
              What do you mean by this?

ATX Specs for PSU's are +/- 5% regulation on each of the 3.3v, 5v and 12v lines.

Your PSU's voltage regulation is not looking good as represented by the numbers in that screenshot.
              Last edited by - wardog -; 02-06-2014, 06:15 PM. Reason: to correct a mistyping of 3 instead of 5
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

wardog is right, the 5V power rail is showing 4.792V, and the lowest ATX in spec voltage for the 5V power rail is 4.75V. Your 4.792V is 0.042V over the lowest in-spec voltage, 42/1000th Volt.

The 12V power rail is showing 11.740V, and the lowest ATX in spec voltage for the 12V power rail is 11.40V. Your 11.740V is 0.34V over the lowest in-spec voltage, 34/100th Volt.

So check those voltages in the BIOS now and then, and if they go lower or you start to have problems with the PC, your power supply needs replacing. Or find another hardware monitoring program and see what the voltages are in Windows.

It looks like you might have your three pin CPU fan connected to the three pin SYS Fan connector, instead of the four pin CPU Fan connector. Or you have the three pin fan on the CPU Fan connector, which should read the speed fine, but it might be on wrong.

Comment

So, tomorrow I'm thinking of changing the CPU to an Intel Core 2 Quad (not Core 2 Duo as I mentioned in a post before), and maybe I'll replace the CPU cooler with a stock cooler (I think it's older)... And I wanted to ask you if my PC as it is can damage the new CPU? If I change the CPU and the CPU fan, and something in BIOS changes I'll keep you updated with photos.
                  And one BIG THANKS to you guys for the support! :D

Comment

< snip >
                    It looks like you might have your three pin CPU fan connected to the three pin SYS Fan connector, instead of the four pin CPU Fan connector. Or you have the three pin fan on the CPU Fan connector, which should read the speed fine, but it might be on wrong.
                    Look closely at the motherboard fan header where your current cpu fan is plugged in.
                    You should see writing near this connector that has the name of the fan header.
                    If the name near the fan header is NOT CPUFAN1 this is why your screen-shot shows 0 rpm.

Correction to an earlier post:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATX Voltage Specifications - wikipedia.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	754136

from ATX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Motherboard layout from your G41M-P28/ G41M-P26 (MS-7592 v5.x) Motherboard User Manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	G41M-P28 - G41M-P26 (MS-7592 v5.x) Motherboard Layout.png
Views:	1
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	754137
                      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                        Correction to an earlier post:
                        Ok, you caught me mistyping 3 where 5 is correct. My bad

Albeit, parsecs math used 5% as is customary to have arrived at his mathematical results.

At idle, and IMHO, those numbers are low in the screenshot. And could, I say could not IS, account for why a low load game doesn't trigger freezes yet any game that forces the gfx cards to ramp up and stand up straight in drawing req'd additional demands of the PSU things fall flat.

Then again, me leaning in over a case for hours is not to be compared to diagnosis over the internet
                        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                          Look closely at the motherboard fan header where your current cpu fan is plugged in.
                          You should see writing near this connector that has the name of the fan header.
                          If the name near the fan header is NOT CPUFAN1 this is why your screen-shot shows 0 rpm.
                          Yeah, I haven't opened the PC for some time now after the last time it was in someone else's hands for upgrading... I'll take a look at it this weekend, I'll try reconnecting it if it's not in the right place, and I'll tell you if anything changes... But what causes my PC to freeze if that's not the problem? :p

Comment

Working...
                          X