Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractal Define XL R2 and fan controller

Hello
    I would like to buy a Fractal Define XL R2. This case allows you to install 7x 140mm fans total. Build in fan controler (powered by molex) allows you to connect only 3x 3pin fans. Is it possible to use for example:

BitFenix Alchemy 3pin x3 Fan adaptor extension 60cm - Black [BFA-MSC-3F33F60KK-RP] (3pin x3 Fan adaptor extension)

This is just an example because there are plenty of that kind of products.
    Is is safe to use 2 adaptors and plug all 7 possible fans into build fan controller or should I think about other solution.
    Regards
    Patrick

Re: Fractal Define XL R2 and fan controller

As far as I can tell, Fractal has not released any specification for the ratings on that fan controller.
    While typically I would say to try it out, overloading that could damage components, and may even smolder the wires into charred bits of plastic and exposed copper!

If it helps, I am about to put out an email to my representative and see if I can get an actual rating for those channels. Then with some simple math, you can see if the channels are capable of powering the draw of all seven fans.
    Last edited by chad_sebring; 01-05-2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

That would be awesome. I have in plans to have total 7x 140mm fans, all 1000rpm (12V)
      Computer will work 24/7 so I would like to have it well cooled by saving as much money as possible and connect everything with the most simple possible way. I can also connect addtional fans to the mobo but fan connectors on mobo are in terrible spots. Also I could use adaptor molex -> 3x 3pin but if its possible I'd rather use case build in fan controller.
      My present mobo is MSI Z77 G45.
      Cheers

Comment

Just be aware this is the week of CES and responses may be a bit slow this week!

Comment

Fractal Support > FAQ General > How many watts per channel is the integrated fan controller? / What’s the max number of fans for the integrated fan controller?

Code:
          How many watts per channel is the integrated fan controller? / What’s the max number of fans for the integrated fan controller?
          Modified on: Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM

The integrated fan controller rating is 15W in total, there is only one channel.

The one channel is then shared by the three fans. The combined wattage of these fans must not exceed 15W.
          3 fans is usually the limit for the 15W max.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by wln View Post
              Computer will work 24/7 so I would like to have it well cooled by saving as much money as possible .......
              If I might. The XL R2 case that houses one of my admittedly low usage servers is a FX-4170(w FX-8320 HS/F), 990FX Extreme4, with 8 HDDs and runs cool with the three Fractal Silent R2 140mm fans that come with the XL R2. Two intake at the front and one exhaust at the rear allows the CPU to run at 32c and motherboard at 30c. Yea, it's winter here, but with the thermostat set at 20c I couldn't be happier with only using the three.

So you might want to rethink just how many fans you'll need, possibly saving you from too many fans and adapters to purchase. I purchased two extra Fractal Silent R2 140mm's thinking I might need them considering the HDD's interfere with case circulation. In my instance anyways they aren't needed.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Wow, thats a great news. Prolly your are right and I should test it on stock cooling and make a decision later about buying additional fans.
                Tbh I'm thinking about 2 cases, define xl r2 and arc xl but I think define would be a better choise because of the damping material. I'm not going to use any water cooling, I just want to have a huge case that i can fit almost everthing for a reasonable price. I dont want to spend my money for aluminium brush :D
                Once again thank you all. for help. Didnt expect so fast response.
                Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                X