No announcement yet.

Corsair Liquid H100 & Intel 3820 Temp @100% stock 73°c!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair Liquid H100 & Intel 3820 Temp @100% stock 73°c!!

Afternoon all.

Just before I start ramping in my clocks, I'd thought it would be a very good idea to do a long term burnin in the chip and to get a baseline.

The Corsair has 3 speeds, I set everything to high, and the case fans - 2x 220mm (1 front, 1 side) and a 120mm back.
    I clean both plates usinging isopropyl alcohol, the tinted each one. Did a Horizontal with the paste, and seated the block tightening the screws in order of 1x4x2x3.
    The paste I uses is Arctic Cooling MX-4 that has Thermal Conductivity W/(mK) 8.5. Personally anything over 8 will do me.

So, off I went, down'd prime and kicked it off. The case screaming, the x2 120mm crappy corsair fans screaming full. I thought I was safe.

I was mistaken.

The temps kept on creeping and creeping, until I had to put a stop to it. leveled about 70 but sometimes hit 77. SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME.

This series of chip is new to me, so my questions are a mixed bag.

Is this a hot chip at stock speed @ full speed?
    Is the H100 kit not as good - does anyone have one that has experiEnced something like this?

ATM, the chip is clocked @ 4.10 temp is 27°c but is just idling. I dual box games so I kind of will psuh the temps in the future.

Obiviously if I want to push the chip a little further I need be able to count on the cooling kit to hold its ground. I know people can say "you should have got this" " you should have stuck with air and a pair of noctua's but
    I just didn't want to to get stuck in the times. Most people can only afford upgrade every 3-4 years so I thought this was a good selection.

Thanks for you thoughts, I will try and respond in a timely fashion.

Re: Corsair Liquid H100 & Intel 3820 Temp @100% stock 73°c!!

Hi Buddy,

I have never used closed loop H2o but from what I have read it seems that many of the corsair etc coolers are on par with high end air cooling. Maybe look into a few comparison threads on temp results for the H100.

Secondly Mx-4 is a good paste, my only suggestion for getting some extra cooling is add 2 more fans to your Rad and run it in a Push>Pull config. Remember when OCing Idle temps mean very little. (Who really just lets there OCed machine just Idle?) So load temps are the thing to be careful of.

(FYI- If you add the extra fans try to make sure they have similar specs to your current Rad fans.)
    AMD, Intel, ATI, Nvidia...I don't care as long as it can be overclocked .
    OCD Torture Rack: DD Torture Rack/Asus P5QC (775)/DFI NF4 Ultra D (939)/Asus P4P800 Deluxe (478)/Corsair DDR400 Pro 1gb/G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 4gb/Kingpin F1 Dark Dragon Pot/Tek-9 FAT 6.0 GPU Pot/Kingpin Mem Pot/Custom "Quick WB swap" watercooling.

Comment

Yes you are right and I have looked around. The temps that I should be getting are alot less.

Just to recap, as I think you have miss understood, If not, I apologize for telling you how to suck eggs.

I ran a burnin test with a stock clock. 3.6ghz on a quad core 3820, with a H100 attatched. The fans we set to max.
      The complimental cooling is a Thermaltake Revo that has more holes than a sieve, 2 massive fans and a 120mm exhaust.

The temps reached more than 75 degrees which really freeked me out.The OC is irrelevant at this point, I just added the info as it might help. Totally agree with you, idle OC'd temps mean nothing.

My fear is the temps are getting so hot BEFORE anything has been modified.

Pushpull - Unfortunately for me, the case doesn't have the clearance, it was a squeeze to get it past the 8pin.

Thanks again for you response.

Comment

Wasn't trying to troll dude, If temps getting hot that quick my only other idea would be a cpu reseat. Couldn't imagine what else it would be.
        AMD, Intel, ATI, Nvidia...I don't care as long as it can be overclocked .
        OCD Torture Rack: DD Torture Rack/Asus P5QC (775)/DFI NF4 Ultra D (939)/Asus P4P800 Deluxe (478)/Corsair DDR400 Pro 1gb/G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 4gb/Kingpin F1 Dark Dragon Pot/Tek-9 FAT 6.0 GPU Pot/Kingpin Mem Pot/Custom "Quick WB swap" watercooling.

Comment

Ah no don't worry, I didn't assume that.

Yea I have reseated and re-pasted.

Comment

It states on the box what to expect. I7 920 @ 3.8Ghz 100% load = 66.5c That's not too far off from what you are getting.
            refer to the review here

Seems to me you are getting the right temps for that cooler.

Comment

Thanks for your replies and it makes sense.

I have reseated it. The temps are still over the 75 mark though. 70 oc are the temps of the smaller rads as it shows in the graph.

Comment

Working...
              X