HD Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both front fans are filtered.
    Actualy Darth, the Filter does not even come close to covering the top fan completely. The upper third of the fan is left unfiltered, not to mention the entire filter is a horrible design which leaves a 5mm gap ALL the way around the filter, so when even when the filter is clean, most of the air rushes around it, not to mention, when the filter gets slightly dirty the air will completely stop going through it and therefore defeat the purpose of the filter. Not only not filtering the air, but acting as a barrier to the air.

Did you not see this when you were writing your review? You should go back and add it in, along with a few pictures of the culprit. I know you haven't used filters much in the past, so you probably weren't inspecting it like you would if you had made it yourself. But don't take offense, no other reviewer noticed it either.

A filter by simply how it works, restricts air flow. Therefore, it can only be effecive if a seal exists. If a seal does not exist, the air will find the path of least resistence, and go around.

Comment

i didn't know much about the case's interior
      Thats what reviews are for! ;)

Comment

I know i was a complete newb tho...
        - Damien

Comment

And we have all learned something.

Comment

Yes plenty...and keep on too!
            - Damien

Comment

Essentially that's one of the major points of TWEAKTOWN:

1. Learn Something

2. Have Fun

3. Make a Fool out of Yourself (Ooops - That one's for me.)

4. Hook up with Georgeous Geek Babes

5. Etc.

Comment

zeradul,

For whatever reason, it seems that you have determined to try your best at undermining everything that I post here. So be it... that is perfectly fine as I have no problem with standing behind my findings, but I for one would be greatly appreciative if you would take a look at the story line before you post your digs.

To tackle the first of your claims, the top fan is fully covered by the filter element. If you have a case that is displaying something otherwise, then it likely has the wrong filter installed.

Secondly, the gap between the filter and the fan is not that large an issue. Considering that the filter goes well to the left and right of the fans, the airflow is still going to be drawn through the filter element. The exception to this would be if the filter was not cleaned regularly. Then your comments would be accurate in that the airflow would find a way around the filtering device. But let's face it... if you aren't cleaning your filters at least once a week, then you're partially defeating the whole purpose of having them. And what would happen if that same slovenly lug had a tight fitting filter and didn't keep it clean? There would be basically no input of cool air at all. I'd rather have dirty airflow than no airflow.

Finally, I will disagree with your blanket statement that a filtering element is only effective if a seal exists. Try using this terrible filtration system for a week and then pull the filter element and tell me that it is not effective. Though your insight of air traveling the path of least resistance has some merit, it is also true that it will attempt to get to where it is directed by the shortest possible means. This is a simple fact of nature. This means that a significant amount of air will be traveling through the filter as evidenced by the amount of gunk that accumulates in just a few days. Granted, in a perfect world there would be a perfect seal, but considering that we have a company that has created an easy to use filtration system shows a certain amount of foresight that seems to be lacking in a majority of the enclosures on the market today. That said, I will stand behind the remarks and ratings that I gave the case when I reviewed it.

So go ahead and find something else to say... I'm sure you will and I stand ready. Fire at will.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

But have you put your blindfold on? I think it's all useful information.

Comment

Fight!, Fight!, Fight! lol j/k

What's the point of arguing? Where's that picture when you need it? Anyway let him think what he will what do you care? Just a waste of time...

Comment

True, but sometimes one has to put a foot down. And my apologies to forum members for seeing me get a little tacky.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Hehe...

No more just :cheers:.

Comment

Tacky - No way - All of us get along here - RIGHT?

Comment

it seems that you have determined to try your best at undermining everything that I post here.
                            Not at all. What have I done apart from posting facts and observations? Can your findings not withstand debate?

To tackle the first of your claims, the top fan is fully covered by the filter element.
                            I'm sorry Darth, its not. And this one is easy. Please get out a ruler and measure your filter from the top to the bottom of the 'clip'. Ok, now open your case and measure to the top of the second fan position. You can take your front bezel off if you wish, the measurement will be the same. Since the filter sits flush with the base of the case comparing these two measurements will proove what is True.

I have done this already, and you can verify it if you want Darth, but the filter is exactly 7.5 inches tall, and the top of the holes of the second fan position are 8 and 3/16ths inch off the base. Which means, the top two rows are completely unfiltered, which means 20% of the air never has a chance to go through the filter. Anyone else with this case can feel free to verify this as well!

if you aren't cleaning your filters at least once a week
                            Holy! Once a week? Thats awful high maintenece!! I mean, how often do you change your central air filter?? Or your car air filter?!

And what would happen if that same slovenly lug had a tight fitting filter and didn't keep it clean? There would be basically no input of cool air at all.
                            I see your point here, and it is a good (and very sad) one. Your point is that everything needs to be designed for the complete Dolt. That point is somewhat valid if something valulable is at risk, however the only by-product of low air intake is instability as the system begins to overheat. The user surely would notice this happening long long before a fire would start, and with that said, the Dolt would have to figure out what was wrong and then fix it. And therefore we don't have to cut engineering corners for him. Either way, not that many fools are buying Antec cases, and you'd just have to warn them in the manual to clean their filters, and then design a good filter with a seal.

Or, just use a filter element that won't stop letting air through! I suggest a thin sheet of 'foam' as used in the digital doc's we are all familair with. I would make it thicker (1/4 inch) and then even when it was clogged to the max, some air would still be getting through. Cleaning is simple enough, you'd just take the foam out and rinse it like it was a dirty sponge.

Finally, I will disagree with your blanket statement that a filtering element is only effective if a seal exists.
                            Thats too bad Darth, because that is a fact of Fluid Dynamics when the fluids in question have negligable mass. The only exception to this fact is when a fluid like water which is very dense, can be accelerated into a filter element, and then its momentum carries it through. Air however, weighs virtually nothing, and therefore it can TURN ON A DIME to go around ANY obstacle.

it is also true that it will attempt to get to where it is directed by the shortest possible means. This is a simple fact of nature.
                            No, it is not. If that were true, then rivers would ALWAYS flow straight through their flood zones. But NONE do! And air is MUCH more disobediant to your 'fact of nature' because it lacks Mass.

Prooving that little air is actually going through the filter is easy as well! Please take out your filter, and now try to blow air through it as hard as you can. Keep your mouth at least an inch away and try to feel the breeze with your hand on the other side. Barely feel a thing ehh?? ;) Now move the filter and just blow air towards your hand. :D This is PROOF that without a seal, nearly ALL (90%+) of the air will go around the filter. But Don't take my word for it! Consult any physics or engineering source you wish, and bring us your findings!

considering that we have a company that has created an easy to use filtration system shows a certain amount of foresight that seems to be lacking in a majority of the enclosures on the market today.
                            I agree completely! I know full-well that this is the Model A of factory filter designs in workstation cases, and I'm sure they will get better.

I will stand behind the remarks and ratings that I gave the case when I reviewed it.
                            Don't get me wrong! I agree with your rating entirely, the Chenming/Uneec cases are clearly the best on the market no arguement there.

And please don't infer any anger or aggression, because I assure you, none exists.

The only qualm I have EVER had with you or your reviews was your rating of the Volcano 9. You did not adequatly rank it on par with the 7+'s of the world. As a reviewer surely you have to compare its performance to others availiable! I'm sure it 'gets the job done' but so do most heatsinks. When there are options avaliable that Defeat it in every category... Noise, Cooling ability, AND Price no new heatsink should earn higher than a 6. However we have discussed this elsewhere, and I know you see my points, so we don't have to discuss it here, unless you want to. And I insist, that is the only issue I have ever held against you.

The other items your reviews have convinced my to buy have been superb. 8KHA, 8KHA+, OCZ Gladiator, just to name a few.

Comment

You guys need to join a debating society. Opinions are allowed to be different.

Comment

Who claimed any different?

Dr. Peter, you don't seriously think that debating a computer related issue is less worthy of this forum than posting nonsense perverted comments in the BG-Games forum? Everyone knows post count means nothing. What does matter is the quality of your post content so please don't badger those who do post more than a sentence at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X