What to do for cooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do for cooling?

Ok, Im very much a newbie. I don't overclock but have cooling questions. I just upgraded my system:

Asus P5VDC-MX Mobo
    Cel D 336 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400 Kingston

Ok so while I was playing Delta Force BHD, I got an alarm from PC Probe about MoBo temp being 45 Cel, and so I shutdown, then after bootup I notice:

CPU: 38 Cel
    MoBo: 42 Cel

Ok so I am using stock heatsink, my question is should I buy a Case fan and should I go cheap, like $6 cheap per say

I have no clue as to what fan to buy other then I can invest $20 CDN max on it.

Maybe if I take pictures someone can help, or is this enough info to direct me?

Re: What to do for cooling?

the stock heatsink and fan on the cpu is fine, what you want is more air flow through the case, a fan in the front of the case blowing air into the case and another fan in the rear of the case blowing air out of the case,
    also if there is a place for one a top of the case fan does help.
    also be sure that there is a good air flow path through the case, not being restricted by ribbon and power cables.

Comment

Thanks, I have one more question, ive noticed some fans claim to have quiet mode, I am very conserned with noise, I enabled Q-Fan for my board and have a very quiet Thermaltake PSU.

If i buy one of these cheap fans with quiet mode, how likely do you think they are to be quiet?

http://www.canadasys.com/online/prod...964880acf201c9

Edit: Ok found more details, acording to manufacture, with noiceless connector generates 20dB of noice with following data:

<table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="580"><tbody><tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#daeff8">Mode </td><td align="center" bgcolor="#f0f2f4">Model No.
      </td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#f0f2f4">Voltage
      (V) </td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#f0f2f4">Current
      (A) </td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#f0f2f4">AirFlow
      (CFM) </td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#f0f2f4">Pressure
      mmAq </td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#f0f2f4">Speed
      (RPM) </td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#f0f2f4">Noise
      (dB) </td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#f0f2f4">Weight
      (g) </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ccffff"> <td align="center" bgcolor="#daeff8">Normal </td><td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">PS80252H</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">12</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">0.25</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">36.5</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">4.04</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">3000</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">34.2</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">76</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ccffff"> <td align="center" bgcolor="#daeff8">Noiseless </td><td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">PS80252H</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">5.5</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">0.12</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">20.6</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">1.35</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">1700</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">20</td> <td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff">76</td></tr></tbody></table>
      Is this noicy?
      Last edited by mirado.kelly; 04-10-2006, 11:31 AM.

Comment

just remember that the slower the fan runs, the more quiet it becomes, and the less air it will move.
        don't worry about the noise, I have 7 fans in my system and I can't hear a thing, except the exaust fan in my celing.

Comment

Wow, 7 fans

Ok so I took your advice, and bought one fan for now, I put it on back as exhaust and what a difernce:

CPU: 36 Cel
          MB: 36 Cel

While browsing Internet and Listening to shoutcast (Tecno)

Much beter, and very quiet, I put it on quiet mode for now, I'm happy.

Comment

very good, the whole idea is to get the heat out and cool air in as fast as possible.
            glad it helped

Comment

Working...
            X