CPU unstability!! Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU unstability!! Help

OK my cpu's temp randomly goes from 59-74C at any time.. I have a thermal take adjustable fan on the CPU... one behind that in side blowing ontop of that fan into the cpu.. One in the front blowing in, and 2 in the rear blowing out! It has never been this high and causes frequent shutdowns.. any suggestions?

Re: CPU unstability!! Help

OK, for starters, what cpu? 59C idle is way too high and I'm not surprised 74C is causing shutdowns either because that is near the top end of the thermal scale for cpu's.

Have you checked for dust build up in the heatsink / fan vanes?

How long has the TT fan been on there?

You say it is adjustable, do you have it on max rpm when this happens?

If you have just fitted it, does this come with it's own heatsink or is it attached to the stock heatsink? my first thought is that the heatsink is not mounted properly, therefore is it not making contact with the core and not cooling as it is supposed to.

Can you describe the method you used to attach the TT fan (cooler) and what thermal compound you used? (if you did indeed reseat the heatsink)

Your case appears to have plenty of fans so my first thought is the TT cooler/ heatsink set up.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

My cpu is a amd 6400+ 64 754 pin...
      Cleared most of the dust out of the case..
      I put the TT fan on the cpu when i put it together so around 8 months..
      Its on max RPM right now and my current temp is 58C-65C with max..
      I cannot find the original compound i used to set the heatsink to the cpu but i believe it was plain silicone compound.. "Artic silver 5" i believe!

Comment

Arctic silver5 is a 99.9% silver compound not silicon, 58-65C is way too hot, I suggest you pull it apart and reassemble using AS5 as per these instructions How to apply AS5 While you have it apart, throughly clean out the heatsink and fan.
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

What program are you relying on for temp readings? And what is your CPU vcore set to if OC'ed? Info on mobo & PSU brand/model would help those wanting to help you with this problem.
          Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

I am using motherboard monitor..
            MSI k8n neo platinum
            AMD 3400+ 64

OK i just completely cleaned out the TT fan and HS.. And re applied the CPU to the HEATSINK via AS5 Compound...

New readings are.. 55-63C CPU Temp... MAX RPM *This is not idle temp*
            *IDLE TEMP 51-53C*
            Significant drop?

Comment

Still seems too warm to me ......... possibly an error in MBM5 ....... try Everest Home
              Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-03-2006, 10:41 PM.

Comment

It also is known that 754 socket CPU run hotter than other pin models.. Could this be the factor?

Last edited by versaceSTL; 02-03-2006, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Something is wrong with your sensors....81c on your GPU....?

Comment

Well then how do i fix them?

Comment

wow your guys processors run hot mine runs at 27c almost oced to the max
                      3.2ghz HT oc 3.8ghz 478 socket
                      2gigs
                      200gig hdd
                      win xp
                      x800xl

Comment

Originally posted by versaceSTL
                        Well then how do i fix them?
                        If the board has faulty sensors there's not much you can do, are you running the latest bios?

What are your ambient air temperatures? 35C + ?

Where is your case situated? does it have lots of room around it allowing good airflow?

Originally posted by BURTON88
                        wow your guys processors run hot mine runs at 27c almost oced to the max.......
                        What are your ambient air temperatures when you get that reading? I'm currently in 32C ambient and my cpu is running at 36C
                        Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-04-2006, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Yes bios is updated.. The case is under my desk.. not the best spot for air flow.. but the front is where the air comes in which has good access to open flow, the room temp is around 70F

Comment

well, about the only thing left to speculate is a change of position of the case as 21C (70F) is not likely to promote temps like you are experiencing, another thought, has this just started happening?

Comment

Have you tried getting temps with an open case, maybe even with a fan blowing into the case to assure the coldest air?
                              All BIOS readings will vary, but due to your shut downs they may be about right. Is 2136 your max RPM?

Comment

Working...
                              X