Too HOT? ASUS P4C800E Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too HOT? ASUS P4C800E Motherboard

I've got an ASUS P4C800E Deluxe motherboard, with a Pentium 4 3.2ghz Prescott CPU. My "ASUS Probe" fan and temperature monitoring software was telling me that my motherboard temp. was 38 C... and alarming at me!
    I freaked-out and bought a Thermaltake POLO HSF, 5 new High-CFM fans, and re-applied the Arctic Silver 5 (correctly this time, was "globbed on" before).
    My Questions:
    Are these high temperatures? Everyone talks about CPU and Case temps., but rarely motherboard temps.
    What is everyones prefered Temperature monitoring software?

Side-Note: My Heatsink Fan does not work at all, using the CPU temp. probe thingy. Are these often faulty?

thanks.

Re: Too HOT? ASUS P4C800E Motherboard

First off... I would highly recommend looking into an inexpensive thermal probe or maybe one of the front mounted panels that have probes included. Asus Probe has a well earned reputation for being about the worst possible way to monitor temperatures.

As to your motherboard temperatures, they usually only tell you if you need better case cooling or not. The processor temperatures are the ones that will have the most meaning. Also, this particular temperature can vary a lot between boards depending on where it is located in reference to the major heat producing components (video and processor mostly).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

If the ASUS PRobe program sucks, than what is a good software to use to monitor Temperatures?

How about monitoring Voltages, FSB speeds, CPU speeds, etc?

I plan on overclocking, but need to conquer an heat issues first

Comment

Motherboard Monitor5

does volts, cpu speed/temp, hdd temps, m/board temps etc

Your board aint that hot, have a look at your case cooling, clear cable clutter to increase airflow through the case etc

edit: have a look at the asus site there is a d/load for AI Booster, I don't like it I prefer to use the bios but hey your call, try it, if you dont like it uninstall it :)
        Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 06-25-2005, 03:17 AM.
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

ASUS Probe is not the buggy software that it was a few years back and MBM5 has not been updated since the 18 June 2004 plus I've never had any faith in those temp probe controlled fans so either set it to either full speed or use the variable speed controller then if your temps don't come down its time to look at your case's airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
            ..........MBM5 has not been updated since the 18 June 2004......
            This is true but it still has our board listed in the supported boards as they were released prior to June 04 and it seems to report truely enough though this is entirely dependent on the winbond chip. I agree probes and multimeters are the only way to get "real' readings
            Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 06-26-2005, 09:31 PM.
            E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Motherboard Monitor looks like it gives more information than the ASUS probe does. I've also found in this forum mention of a program called Speedfan. I'll try both out and see which one I like, as well as search Asus.com for the latest probe.

As far as case airflow, here's some information on my system for ya'll.
              Thermaltake V2000A XaserIII Case (7 fans)
              ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard
              Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott
              Artic Silver 5
              1 GB Corsair Twin-X Pro matched
              Case Fans 7 , 32cfm blue-led 80mm fans
              CPU HSF - Thermaltake POLO All copper, with 80 mm fan
              No overclocking (yet)

Anzac has a good point, I need to clear-up the cables on the inside of my case. I've done an okay job of keeping cables clear, but I really would love to completely re-wire the inside of my baby. Since she's been a work in progress, I'm always adding new stuff, and messing the wiring up.

To bo honest, when I initially mounted my stock HSF to the CPU I had no idea how to apply the Arctic Silver 5. I literally Globbed it on, and *SPLAT* slapped the HSF on top. YIKES!!!
              Since I got the new POLO HSF, the Artic Silver application is clean, and correct - a little massaged into the HSF, and a small drop on the CPU.
              Then, rubbed the CPU into the HSF in circular motions...
              That sound right :) ?

Comment

Originally posted by hondatune
                Since I got the new POLO HSF, the Artic Silver application is clean, and correct - a little massaged into the HSF, and a small drop on the CPU.
                Then, rubbed the CPU into the HSF in circular motions...
                That sound right :) ?
                Not even close, http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...tions_big2.htm

Comment

Actually, Exactly close.
                  That is the reference I used to apply the Artic Silver this last time.
                  I tried to explain that entire process in just a few words.
                  A summary, if you will.

Comment

That's not close at all. Arctic Silver 5 is applied directly to the CPU core, then the HSF is placed on it, turned slightly, and mounted. There's no massaging or rubbing....

When reading the instructions, pay attention to where they change for Arctic Sivlver 5 over previous versions.

Comment

Another thing hondatune is, "do you have all the case fans running in the right direction?" (front and sides being intakes and the back and top being exhausts)

Comment

Anyway, I used that exact guide to apply the Artic Silver. I may have "put it into my own words", but it is correct.
                        Yes, all fans are pointing in the correct direction.

Since my Fan and HSF upgrades my temps are:
                        system- 34 C
                        CPU- 45 C idle, 47-48 C under load.

How do those numbers look?
                        Oh, and I that's with 10% overclocking, using the automatic OC feature in BIOS

Comment

My CPU Clock speeds now registers at 3.54xxx ghz.

Still, do you think 48C is too high for a Prescott P4 to be reliable, and long-lasting?
                          My main priority is long lifespan of my system.
                          I'm not into burning-up my components, to run at extreme speeds for a few months.

Comment

ANZAC_ELITE, how did you get Motherboard Monitor to display those big numbers?
                            Instead of the small, illegible "Tachometer" view?

Comment

Pls help me with my P4 3.2ghz prescott

I have a P4 3.2ghz prescott with an MSI motherboard service unit. My original board is a Asus p4p800-x.

Here is my specs:

Coolmaster Centurion Case
                              2pcs geil 512mb ddr400 memory with heatsink(=1gb)
                              1pc Thermaltake Beetle processor fan /w attached Thermaltake case fan 2
                              1pc Thermaltake case fac 2 (at the front for intake)
                              1pc 40gb seagate 7200rpm /w Lian Li rack /w fan for hardisk cooling purpose
                              1pc 160gb seagate 7200rpm
                              1pc 80gb seagate SATA
                              Sony DVD ROM
                              Sony DVD Writer
                              Inno3d FX5500 256mb AGP
                              Audigy 2 Soundcard internal
                              Soundblaster front panel (for audio input - output)
                              Winfast TV Capture card.

CPU temperature is from55 to 63 celsius if cpu load is 61% SYSTEM temperature is from 41 to 44 celsius. CPU fan speed is 3800rpm.

Comment

Working...
                              X