Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Too HOT? ASUS P4C800E Motherboard

Originally posted by hondatune
    ANZAC_ELITE, how did you get Motherboard Monitor to display those big numbers?
    Instead of the small, illegible "Tachometer" view?
    Under each sub category is the option to change the display under the visual tab, you can also change font colours etc there

dont forget to click Apply

Originally posted by hondatune
    ..........Still, do you think 48C is too high for a Prescott P4 to be reliable, and long-lasting?
    My main priority is long lifespan of my system.
    I'm not into burning-up my components, to run at extreme speeds for a few months.
    Overclocking will generate more heat and in essence lower the cpu longevity, if you wish to oc you may want to look at alternative cooling along the lines of a zalman or even water cooling.

Originally posted by dbomb
    .........CPU temperature is from55 to 63 celsius if cpu load is 61% SYSTEM temperature is from 41 to 44 celsius. CPU fan speed is 3800rpm.
    That seems a little warm, have you cleared up your cables to help airflow? do you have case fans? Prescotts do run hotter than my Northwood granted, but 63C is warm.
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 07-25-2005, 06:39 AM.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Thanks ANZAC_ELITE dude! Do you think the temperature is low enough? I'm planning to overclock my 3.2ghz. Do you have any suggestion or advice to lower down the temperature?

And also... I'm planning to overdrive my Inno3d FX5500. What cooling fan or heatsink do you prefer/suggest to this kind of video card?

Comment

Personally i think the cpu is on the warmish side, have you tidied up your cables etc in the case to allow better airflow? what case fans do you have? are they in the right configuration? i.e. front and side as intakes, rear as exhaust? is it a stock p4 cooler? there are other cooling solutions to the stock cooler. Personally I wouldn't look at overclocking the cpu untill you get the temp down a bit, have a look at Zalman and other coolers. A lot depends on your ambient room temps too.

As to the vid card, well it is kinda dated and I'm not familiar with that particular card, does it have a fan or passive cooling? (I'm guessing fan, to lazy to look on the web lol) Zalman, Thermaltake and Arctic all make vga coolers, you'll just have to do some research and see if they have a product available for your card.

Good luck
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Yup. All my cables are ok. All of them are arrange to make better airflow. By the way... I'm using a Coolmaster Centurion Chasis.

I'm currently using this cpu fan....

It has a stock fan speed of 1600rpm t0 4300rpm

I've attached also an extra chasis fan that looks like this...

this is the actual fan that i've attached. The thermaltake smart fan 2.
          It has a speed of 1300 rpm to 4800 rpm.

Also added 1 intake fan same as the picture posted but the difference is it's in full speed. (I've attached filter for this so that my cpu won't get dusty.) =)

This is the only cooling fans the i'm using right now. Befor I forgot. I'm using the stock thermal paste that comes with the prosessor. Do you think an Arctic Silver Thermal paste would help lower down the temps?

Hope you can suggest for better cooling?

Comment

And also? Would anyone now what heatsink and what gpu fan I can use to overclock a Inno3d FX5500 256mb 128bit? Thanks! =)

Comment

Thanks in advance to all! Hope you can help with my problem! =)

Comment

That heatpipe cooler that you're using is your prob (they work fine when vertical but turn them horizontal and they don't work so well), get yourself a decent HSF (Thermalright's XP-90-C is very good with the right fan).

Comment

Thanks for that info... but I'll already have that kind of thing. I just bought a new motherboard Asus P4P800-X deluxe. It's now in that position. But still temperature still at around 52 to 65 celcius.

Comment

Thanks to all of you who helped me with my temperature problems! Thanks! My processor temperature now ranges from 33 to 45 C but now I need to lower the my MB's temperature. Seems it is stuck in 39 to 41 C.

Anyone wants to share tips or tricks on how to lower down MB temperature?

Comment

If that is your case in your avatar pic I would suggest an intake fan mounted on the clear side panel, directed onto your m/board, with the centre line from the fan spindle roughly in line with the chipset cooler. I think you'll lower your temps in the vicinity of 5-6 degrees C by doing this. You'll be surprised at how much difference it makes.

Comment

I have a 3.2E (running on a P4P800 Deluxe) which I had overlocked to a modest 3.4 - bog standard in box cooler.

I've been running it for months like this with not so much as a single crash,
                        but I was reviewing my system for upgrades (Oblivion on the way..) and checking over everything.

I lost bowel control when I checked an the asus temp moniter, which was reporting a temp of 86C.

I've resest the CPU to 3.2, but it still shows a temp of 72. Throttlewatch reports no throttling. the side of the case is off for now, and the ambient temp of the room is about 14C, or less.

Has anyone else seen this kind of seemingly (hopefully) mad, and totally inaccurate temp monitoring on an Asus mbrd? I know these chips are meant to be hardshaws with high temperatures, but surely this cant be right? I thought they died or throttled down or burst into flames at that kind of temp..

I hope to get a XP120 or good Zalman (recommendations welcome) as well as some extra fans soon, as I want to overclock and upgrade my gfx card and the like - recommendations are welcome.

spec:
                        P4 3.2E
                        Asus P4P800 Deluxe
                        1GB 3200 Corsair.
                        ti4600 (it's going in the attic soon)
                        & 3 assorted hard drives
                        (can remember the PSU but i think it's 350w)
                        the case is a big mutha, but cables and air flow might be a problem)

Comment

dbomb:

Check your case airflow. Seems like you don't have enough to keep temps down inside there. Also, many motherboards do like to have air blowing onto the voltage regulator area. This is usually provided as a side benefit of cpu hsf combos but newer designs don't provide it.

thegroggers: how many fans are currently in your system? What are you using to cool your cpu? Maybe that your thermal compound isn't on right, not enough air flowing over cooling fins. Check this site for recommendations on hsf combos.

Comment

Well,

got to the bottom of it.

The 478 retention module is held down by 4 plastic 'grommets' (thinginmajigs, if you will..), but not on my system: 2 had broken - god knows when - and as a result the heatsink was not in complete contact with the cpu.

I can only guess it's been like this for at least two weeks when I moved the system, though i hadn't noticed intil now. that 3.2E can certainly take a lot of abuse.

I couldn't find a replacement retention clip today (look everywhere, apparently I'm not the only one who's been in need of a replacement), so I had to drill through the grommet holes, fit some nuts and bolts, and the clip is in more securely now than it ever was. used some Artic 5 and turned it back on.

Running at an ambient temp of about 30 for the MB and 49C for the CPU at default settings.

Looks like that Asus temp probe was not far off after all, though I didn't notice any throttling.

Still think I'll go ahead and get a Zalman or whatever soon enough anyway, though I think most still use the old retention socket - if this can take the pain I'm gonna clock her up soon.

Comment

DComb
                              I have a p4p800-x deluxe with a p4 2.8/533 northwood overclocked to 3487 standard voltage....my cpu temp never gets above 40c ..(zalman 7000 alcu hsf on low speed....37c on high speed)....at idle it is just above room temp....and the mobo temp stays below 36c and at idle is about 8c above room temp.....thats now with an unlocked (16p6v) and overclocked (405/870) gf6800 sitting right below it...i might suggest you look at your case cooling.....remember one more fan blowing out than blowing in is a good rough rule of thumb to get rid of the hot air (eg one front blowing in and one plus ps blowing out at the back).

I found asus probe reports the same temps as the bios so i don't know that another monitoring tool will tell you any different.

Attached is a screenshot....the temps up in the right top corner are
                              temp2 - cpu and temp 1 - mobo at the moment...this is GKrellem in linux reading from the chipset and it gives the same readings as asus probe
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Oldbugger; 11-11-2005, 06:48 PM. Reason: further info

Comment

Since my last post in these forums, I've done a lot of research and tweaking on my Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

One thing I have learned, which pertains to motherboard temperatures on ALL REVISONS of ALL Asus P4P/P4C series boards, is that the winbond thermal sensor IS NOT positioned anywhere NEAR the northbridge...

Its tucked away near the top right, near the memory.

I discovered this when I completed gutting the heatsink and greasing it up with artic silver, and JB Welding an old Pentium2 fan to it (the JB weld worked awesome and the result was simply kick ass).. However, once completed, I didnt see a single degree drop.

So I did some homework and found that I was able to push my cpu another 170 Mhz-- and it now runs flawlessly.

The motherboard thermal sensor is more of an ambient case temperature guage, and isnt near any critical components. If the sensor was on the opposite side of the board, near the voltage components, the readings would be even higher.

Disregard the tempurature readings from it, make sure your memory and vrm has adequate cooling, and bob's your uncle. And Intel is your mom.

-vegas

Comment

Working...
                                X