Cooling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poormodder
    My old PC did that right after my brother switched the power supply from 120v to 230v. The power supply did this for a day or so and then commited suicide.
    I think that was homicide, your brother should be next!:no:

Comment

i think i've got the same reboot prob.. that's what ya get for running an ath XP, gf3, lotsa other stuff all off one 250W PSU....

Comment

it can also depend on the brand of the PSU...eg. an Aopen 250W PSU can sometimes handle more then a crappy 300W generic PSU...and BTW mrwarezuk, it may be rebooting because the thermal paste on the HSF wasn't applied properly, or it might be using frag tape, it's definitely worth getting a new HSF or atleast taking it off and putting it back with artic silver or something :thumb:

Comment

At any rate, getting a new HSF is a lot cheaper than getting a new PSU. If your shiny new Volcano 7+ arrives and the BSODS keep occurring, you can be fairly sure it's your PSU. So go ahead an order an Enermax or Topower; if, however, the problems vanish, then the problem was likely temps and not a low 5v/12v rail. The advantage to getting a new HSF is that once your new PSU arrives you should be able to get a decent overclock happening.

Comment

HEY!!!!!!!

what do you mean by
            system exause blower and 80mm fan at the rear.
            ?????

One of those things you install in place of an unused PCI slot?????

Do you have an 80mm in addition to the 80mm in your PSU????

I bet the BLOWER is why your HSF can't cool down effectivly.... Everything your front intake is bringing in is being sucked out before is even comes near the HSF.... Hot air rises, and so a little cloud of hot air hovers near your HSF, and no air is moving...

I used to have one of those blowers and it was powerfull.... It MIGHT have enough power to suck out everything the front is taking in AND limit the effectiveness of your PSU fan any other exhaust fan...

Test my suggestion and unplug the blower.... I bet it will work...

Comment

thanks 4 suggestion, have tried it, still no luck.

Comment

Ok, then here is your solution..
                I have a cheap heatsink but it is ment to support my 1.4ghz thunderbird. Sould i buy the new Thermaltake Volcano 7+?
                Yes.

Comment

...i don't get ithe already has, and it crashes even more apparently:eek: :confused:

Comment

He has??? Where did he say that????

Comment

Windows Xp used to reboot my computer when the cpu hit 60C. This feature is disabled in the bios but windows still does it. I have replaced the old s**t Heatsink and fan with the Volcano 7+. Now windows reboots between 40C and 50C. My old heatsink had a 3 pin connector but the new 1 has a 4 pin connector cause it needs more power. I was wondering if my Power Supply wasn't good enough.
                      It was in a different thread...but yeah, it doesn't make sense does it ?

Comment

no, it makes no sense to me at all. Anybody have any ideas?

Comment

i'm thinking you may have been right the whole time...it could be the crap PSU...look into getting a new one. That will most likely fix the problem, and if it doesn't, then it's a software problem that is making the Computer Reboot when it reaches a certain temp...

Good Luck :thumb:

Comment

for all of those out there who havn't done this, plz mod a fan or 2 in the side of your case! this is a huge help to cooling as u can have it blowing directly onto the cpu or video card giving it an unlimited supply of fresh air:afro:

Comment

btw can i stress to ppl not to get an enermax psu unless u have a server case because the power cords are ridiculously long and you end up having tangles of wire everywhere unless you do some serious tidying:afro:

Comment

Agreed. Go for a Aopen or Toppower PSU....much better value, same quality AND normal length Leads. :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                                X