Oil Cooled PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooled PC

I wish I could claim this one, assuming to works. Check it out.

"Modern PCs are becoming more and more dependant on their cooling systems. Normally a PC is cooled by a ventilator and the real technical guys use watercooling only for their processors...but! Ofcourse you can always do better so we decided to submerge an entire PC in oil. There were many people telling me it couldn't be done, but as you can see, it can be done!"

Have you noticed that they guy says "modern" yet the motherboard he has still has ISA slots? And notice how the hard drive and psu and anything important are outside. The only thing I would find fascinating is the "oil tornado" action when the fan on the CPU cooler spin.

Comment

Doesn't that harm the PC components? *When on anyway

Comment

Originally posted by sepherum2ya
        And notice how the hard drive and psu and anything important are outside.
        They are also in another container, so maybe he plans on stickin oil on those ones too.:thumb:

I would call him crazy if he stuck a P4C in oil like that, so it makes sence that he would first try older components.

Comment

what a waste of oil
          :rofl:

Comment

I would be interested to see if he tries it on a new system. I mean it would be the most effective and cheapest cooling solution around!

Comment

I have my doubts about how effective this sollution is. Just cuz he has old, low powered cpu in it, dont mean it will work well for the hot OCd systems that most of us have.
              I want to see tests!, Numbers ect.

Comment

Truthfully, I think this is a horrible cooling solution. First of all, upgrading the mobo or taking out of the oil bath would be horrible, and it would never be able to go into another case.

Second, The only hot mobo cooling items are the cpu/northbridge/RAM/Video card and maybe your southbridge. Besides that, theres no reason to cool your CMOS battery or your BIOS chip :)

#3: Transportation

#4 Your fans are gonna die very quickly trying to run under oil, and to make this effective youd have to replace all your fans and heatsinks that are made to be submerged in a fluid, THEN, youd have to pump the oil through a heatercore and cool it to get any temps close to ambient.

So, for the cost off all that, you could have gotten yourself a nice watercooling solution, and for a bit mroe vaporchill/phase-change.

Maybe in a few years we might have to look into fully submerged systems for cooling, but with BTX on the way, I dont see it in the near future.

Comment

Of course I didnt mean submerging the entire machine. If he was to do more tests and give us some numbers, we could find out how effective it really is. If its worth it, I could see companys putting some R&D into it.

The way he did it just wasnt practical. If someone finds an effective and pratical implementation, who knows what will happen.

Comment

Just a related article you may find interesting, these guys used an inert liquid and dry ice, and then some Liquid Nitrogen as well! A very interesting read I found.

Comment

Dual phase liquid nitrogen (I think) is the coldest you can get at the moment. Note that it is only a temporary solution and it is used at those world record attempts (5Ghz +). : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

tomshardware.com overclocked a p4 to like 5.4GHz

Comment

guys im on a real rampant upgrade spree cos of financial lows. just look i've ordered the 3200+ Barton and 2x512mb xms corsair 3700 twinx modules. Ive ordered them this afternoon from overclockers.co.uk on a mon-fri delivery service. can't wait for them to arrive, so my setup should be good as nu in no time. i have just one query... im not sure whether my volcano 7+ cpu cooler can handle this monster without it overheating too much!!

Comment

Volcano 7+ will be fine, it handles overclocked bartons like butter. Congratz on the new system. Peace.

Comment

Working...
                            X