cooling needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling needed?

sorry, I'm confused where to put this thread. Anyway,does cooling really makes a difference? errr, i mean can push overclockability?

sure does!

Comment

A good HSF will always make a difference (especially when overclockin') but unless ya got a case that has good airflow qualities then that good HSF won't work to its best potential.

Comment

Might as well post this here.

I've recently overclocked (as some of you may know) to 3.0 GHz, and I'm looking for a decent cooling solution. Should I go up and buy one, or is it just as safe and cheap to just stick a fan in the case and have it running when the computer is running? I'm sort of questioning that, because it could fall over if not secured properly.

The only thing is that cooling for computers is hard to find. I'm pretty sure big stores like Best Buy and Future Shop don't carry stuff like that, and there aren't a lot of smaller stores near my house. I don't want to walk halfway across the city to find something.

EDIT: Okay, I've checked Best Buy's website, and it seems that they do have some stuff like that. I'm just wondering exactly what to buy...they have quite a few things from Antec...well, you guys know about this. Do you mind clicking here and telling me what is the best fan for the price? I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, and prices are going to be up a bit for me, seeing as how this is an American website.

Comment

You can purchase online. A decent CPU cooler is always better, but if you don't have decent case airflow, its not going to do anything like it should. (Help temp-wise)

Comment

I edited up there.

Oh, and my case does have good airflow. It's actually quite big with lots of open space. It also has back and side ventilation, and the fan is pretty decent as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SearanoX
              I edited up there.

Oh, and my case does have good airflow. It's actually quite big with lots of open space. It also has back and side ventilation, and the fan is pretty decent as well.
              A single case fan? Thats not enough

Anyway, BB likes to charge about $20 for a case fan you can get for $4 online, just FYI.

Comment

Meh, that doesn't really matter a whole lot to me. I most likely won't be paying for it, and I don't want to wait weeks for online shipping.

Oh, and the current temperature is around 94F/36C, but when I put it back down to the default speed, turn the computer off, then back on, it stays pretty much the same, maybe 1-2 degrees lower. Is this temperature normal with a Pentium 4, or is it too high?

Comment

Meh, that doesn't really matter a whole lot to me. I most likely won't be paying for it, and I don't want to wait weeks for online shipping.

Oh, and the current temperature is around 94F/36C, but when I put it back down to the default speed, turn the computer off, then back on, it stays pretty much the same, maybe 1-2 degrees lower. Is this temperature normal with a Pentium 4, or is it too high?
                  If thats your load CPU temp then your fine.

Comment

Hmm, so it's not that urgent? I thought such a big overclock would generate more heat...seems my fan is better than I thought.

I might get some cooling for later on, just to be on the safe side, but I guess I'll leave it like this for awhile.

Thanks for the help with that.

Comment

Hmm, so it's not that urgent? I thought such a big overclock would generate more heat...seems my fan is better than I thought.

I might get some cooling for later on, just to be on the safe side, but I guess I'll leave it like this for awhile.

Thanks for the help with that.
                      Thats a great temp really, My 2.4c at 3.1ghz, on an elevated Vcore doesnt put off much more heat than it did at stock, but it runs about 50c :shh:

Comment

Working...
                      X