Removing leadtek heat sink (help plz)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing leadtek heat sink (help plz)

This is a follow up on my other thread about my fan dying on my leadtek ti 4400 (I would post in the same thread but i have found that old threads have a habit of geting over looked and I don't want to waste 200 or so dollars by messing this up)

My fan has died and I ordered a new heatsink to replace my old one( the . But I realized I have no clue how to go about removing my heat sink safely. here is a picture (from leadtek) of the type of heat sink I have on my ti 4400 (though not my exact card).
    http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/a280_td_2.html

anyone have any advice or links to some where that would give me an idea of how to go about removing this huge thing? I have found some sites that take about removing the heatsink but nothing specific to this card/type of heatsink.

As a side question if i have to freeze the card to get the heatsink off, what do I do to make sure there is no condensation?

Any help would be great. I can't reallly afford to replace this card.

Just remove the 2 plastic pins and unplug the fan header then the heatsink should just come away.

Comment

thx man. If it is that simple I am was just worrying about nothing... but better to ask than to mess up @ the cost of a couple hundred bucks :)

Comment

Just make sure to use alumina thermal paste when you put on the new heatsink. If you use regular arctic silver, with the silver in it, and it accidently falls on the memory leads or another electronic pathway on your card, it can allow jumps, which will short circuit your card, and it'll fry, and THEN you can throw away $200. Alumina has no electrically conductive particals in it. Hence, if you mess up and do get some on your memory leads etc., doesnt matter :) . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

thx for the help, got everything off and on without a problem. Except for a mistake with the thermal tape, so i will need to get some more b4 i try the trip to back to college. unless there is a better option of course :)

Comment

Thermal tape is very poor in conductin' heat so why not just use Arctic Alumina as Mista K6 suggested or Arctic Ceramique.

Comment

Just use Artic Silver3 or 5

Yes you'll have to be careful but then again that goes for most hardware mounting/dismounting. :2cents:

Comment

Working...
              X