freezing computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freezing computer

hello all was thinking of cooling my new computer by throwing it in to my small frezzer

but then was thinking of the moisture that would build up

well then i had a idea what if i sealed the whole inside of the computer (MN cpu vidcard sound card everything electrical) with sillicone to stop the condinsation

but i have a few questions what is the coldest the cpu should get and would it be posible to do this and has anyone seen anything about some thing like this?

Dude:eek:
    Your in Minnesota, just open a window

Sounds like you must have serious problems with your rig, what's up?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by PaPaPuffALot
      hello all was thinking of cooling my new computer by throwing it in to my small frezzer

but then was thinking of the moisture that would build up

well then i had a idea what if i sealed the whole inside of the computer (MN cpu vidcard sound card everything electrical) with sillicone to stop the condinsation

but i have a few questions what is the coldest the cpu should get and would it be posible to do this and has anyone seen anything about some thing like this?
      you would need dry air inside of the PC case as well or condensation/frost would form inside your case as the temps dropped.

Comment

I saw an article a long time ago on www.fast-mhz.com talking abour that they made it work. I think I may have printed it lemme see if I can find it.

Comment

LOL!!

Do you guys understand anything about condensation?

Think about this.... What does water condense on??? Answer: Things COLDER than the surroundings... So if a computer was to be placed inside a freezer WHERE would the water condense?? Thats right, the inside edges of the freezer. NOT the computer.

OF course that is ASSUMING that the computer is on as you put it in the freezer, to let the fans adequatly circulate the air through itself (letting the moisture out to condense on the sides of the freezer). If it was NOT turned on, then the SLIGHT amount of moisture in the air IN the case would condense on the INSIDE edges OF the CASE because the freezer would cool the sides of the case down First.

Simple solution to THAT is to have the sides of your case off. I guarantee NO CONDENSING would take place on ANY of the components of your computer. WHY WOULD IT? Compared to the sides of the freezer, the computer is HOT, and what do hot things do... NOT condense water.

The only problem you might run into is some of your computer components not being used to the temp. Your processor will be fine, haven't you seen those crazy OC'ers who double thier clock speed with liquid Nitrogen??

If your hard drives and other components can handle the low temperature, you'll be fine. And I really think everything will work fine at low temps)

-----

If you take your sides off the computer, start up your computer, and open your CD drives....close the freezer and let the system sit for a half hour, I GUARRANTEE that you will not see any condensation problems. After the half hour, you can put the sides back on, close the drives and use the computer normally.

Comment

what you're saying is correct - provided that you never turn your PC off
            then frost would form on the components just like everything else in the freezer - and when you turn it back on - nice wet computer.

Comment

well first off the frezer does not have any ice in it at all and has been running for months no frost at all

second of all the computer would be on all the time like it is now

and with silliconing everything even if there saw alittle bit of condation it would not effect it realy??

the only thing that i think i would have to worry about it the power suply cant get in there and sillicone that

everything else i could do right?

like the HD i could seal that whole thing right and not worry??

i know i could do all the other componets with out a problem

the michine would probly not have a cd or floppy drive less opening and closing of the frezzer

means less condation right?

also were can i find the temp specs of these componets?

should it say it on the box?

or some thing??

and does anyone know were i caould pick up a desent temp sencer?

Comment

well if i was to turn it off i would probly take it out of the frezzer right??? then when i turned it back on i would repeat the prosses spoke above?

Comment

I disagree RDR....

We are assuming you aren't using the freezer for Food. That means that no additional foreign objects enter the freezer and are allowed to sit and cool (evaporate liquid) which is the cause of your sentance "frost would form on the components just like everything else in the freezer"

Think about this RDR... What happens to the humity during winter up by you in Canada...? Even if its 100% humidity on a cold day, there still is almost NO WATER in the air (comparted to a humid summer day) Do you see what I'm saying? If on a 100% humidity summer day there is a gallon of water in X amount of volume of air, in that same volume of air on a cold day when it is determined to be 100% humidity, there may only be a DROP in that amount of air.

What this means is that inside a freezer, if everything is cold (below freezing or close to...) there is almost NO water dissolved into the air. Extremely small amount. so little in fact that you could not see visible condensation on ANYTHING you put in it.

"But then why is there frost build up on my 8 month old Frozen pizza"

Thats caused by warm moist things (or air) being added to the freezer, which puts moisture into the air of the freezer which then looks for something cold to freeze to, and look a cold pizza right there to freeze onto... Voila.

------

So in conclusion if you do as I instructed in my first post, and don't have anything else in the freezer, you have Nothing to worry about, no condensation will occur on any part of your computer.

AND even if you do want to keep other stuff in your freezer (while its turned off) you CAN safely do so as long as you have the sides on your computer... Since the fans inside your computer are OFF when your computer is OFF, no circulation takes place which doesn't let any airborn moisture from getting inside your computer, which of course means it can't condense on your components.

Comment

Of course, removing your computer from a freezer, straight into a room temerature room WOULD cause condensation to happen. Which means you would just have to let it sit unplugged for a better part of a day to be safe until any condesation evaporates on its own.

Comment

something to think about if you have an old freezer you are planning on using is consider water cooling and place your radiator and pump, etc... in the freezer. Seal it and run the hose to the inside of the computer. That would work out great

Comment

you know i was thinking about that to i thik the water cooling would be safer then throwing the whole thing in the freezer.

deffently some thing to thik about

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                          I disagree RDR....

We are assuming you aren't using the freezer for Food. That means that no additional foreign objects enter the freezer and are allowed to sit and cool (evaporate liquid) which is the cause of your sentance "frost would form on the components just like everything else in the freezer"

Think about this RDR... What happens to the humity during winter up by you in Canada...? Even if its 100% humidity on a cold day, there still is almost NO WATER in the air (comparted to a humid summer day) Do you see what I'm saying? If on a 100% humidity summer day there is a gallon of water in X amount of volume of air, in that same volume of air on a cold day when it is determined to be 100% humidity, there may only be a DROP in that amount of air.

What this means is that inside a freezer, if everything is cold (below freezing or close to...) there is almost NO water dissolved into the air. Extremely small amount. so little in fact that you could not see visible condensation on ANYTHING you put in it.

"But then why is there frost build up on my 8 month old Frozen pizza"

Thats caused by warm moist things (or air) being added to the freezer, which puts moisture into the air of the freezer which then looks for something cold to freeze to, and look a cold pizza right there to freeze onto... Voila.

------

So in conclusion if you do as I instructed in my first post, and don't have anything else in the freezer, you have Nothing to worry about, no condensation will occur on any part of your computer.

AND even if you do want to keep other stuff in your freezer (while its turned off) you CAN safely do so as long as you have the sides on your computer... Since the fans inside your computer are OFF when your computer is OFF, no circulation takes place which doesn't let any airborn moisture from getting inside your computer, which of course means it can't condense on your components.

Sublimation and recrystallization occurs continuously in an undisturbed freezer - albeit at a very slow rate. This is one of the causes of (progressive) freezer burn.

Anything inside of a freezer, which is allowed to fall to the ambient temp will have some amount of frost form on it.

the air inside of a freezer does not have zero humidity.

something tells me niether of use will convince the other...:cheers:

Comment

Anything inside of a freezer, which is allowed to fall to the ambient temp will have some amount of frost form on it.
                            Correct, but you've got 2 things working for you Here...

*As long as you don't leave your computer in a freezer Unused for Months on end, (use it at least once every few days), there will not be enough time for a detremental amount of frost to build up. (the TINY TINY amount will evaporate off even after a few minutes of use.)

*If you have your case sides on when you shut it off, no circulation will take place allowing any airborn humidity to get inside your computer, much less form frost on your components.

the air inside of a freezer does not have zero humidity
                            I did not say that. What I said was, at low temperatures, 100% humidity can be achieved with a TINY TINY amount of water. 100% humidity is a state in which the air is holding the absolute MOST moisture it can possibly hold without forming rain, fog, or snow. Of course this means, that the transfer of frost into airborn gas, and then the forming of frost elsewhere in an equally cold evironment (sublimation, disublimation), is VERY slow, and thus as long as you don't leave the computer OFF in a freezer for weeks at a time, you will not have a problem.

----------

Neoz, and Puff Alot... Putting your radiator in a freezer would cause MONSTER problems. Fist of all you would need to add antifreeze... (duh) hehe

Second of all, the tubes, sinks, and everything that touches the cold antifreeze, would become cold, (just like a can of pop) and start condensing water, which would then drip onto your components.

BUT if you wanted to put your radiator into a -not very cold- refrigerator, that WOULD be ok, as long as you monitored the sinks so that they didn't start condesing water... there is a fine line here, depending on room temp, and humidity, and temp of the water, it will require a constant tweak job, or at least a watchful eye.

Comment

well like i said before this little frezzer has been running for months with the same empty box sitting in it just as long and theres not a shread of frost any were

and the computer will be left on all the time

24/7

so after listening to everyone so far im sure that after sealing everything in sillicone

I would place it in the frezzer running and warm? with out the sides on?

after it ran for a while i would put the sides on ??

and leave it

when i was ready to turn it off for good unpluge the computer take it out open it up and let it set for a day

sound correct?

and does anyone know were i can buy temp sencors?????

Comment

Working...
                              X