No announcement yet.

freezing computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, well if you are never going to turn it off, then you really have not much to worry about...

Turn it off, disconnect the cables, set it in the freezer, set up your cables how you want, and try not to have them exiting the freezer in such a way that would prop the freezer lid open AT ALL... Turn your computer on, open the CD-ROM drives, and let it sit...

DO NOT open the freezer lid if you don't have to. ESPECIALLY if you don't have Air conditioning on a humid day in the summer.

AND IF you ever go to take your computer OUT of the freezer you will have to LET IT SIT for a while, I would say 8 hours at least without turning it on.

AND you don't need ANY Silicone !!! Where do you think you would put it and what purpose do you think it would serve????

Comment

well in the thred that i read here cant find it title thats a overkill

he used a none conductent silicone and sealed aroung the cpu case on the M/B why couldent i do that to the who inside of the computer? to prevent any moisture to build up on expoised componets and i would do every thing i would not have to worry about the heat building up in the componets cuz it will be in the freezer

ive see hot glue on M/B before and does not damange

not to sure about the conductivity of it though

and silicone peels off easy

was thinking of this to make sure i dont damage my system

while over clocking it

by the way does anything about overclocking the dual athlon mp ??

thats what my next system is going to be i think throw a dual 1.8 in a frezzer and over clock the **** out of it

what do you think?

Comment

i'll let you all know how it went after ive done it maby not on my best first but on some thing crappy just to make sure
        lol

Comment

I would be interested to see how it goes... 486 anyone? ;)
          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Heres another idea I had that will keep your freezer from wearing itself out.

Get some 2 liter bottles or milk jugs, and fill them with Water and freeze them before you put your computer in the freezer. Here's why...

See a freezer turns itself on when the temperature reaches a certain 'high' temperature. Then it cools the contents down and turns itself off at a certain 'low' temperature. Turning itself on and off is the most detremental thing a freezer, refrigerator, or air conditioner does.

And if all you have in your freezer is your computer, air and the inside walls of the freezer, there is almost NO 'thermal mass' Which means that the contents don't take hardly any time to cool down, and then almost no time to warm back up. This will cause your freezer to kick on and off constantly, and it will wear itself out FAST. (One month at the absolute longest)

WATER has extremely high thermal mass, and so when you have a whole bunch of it frozen within your freezer, it will ease the load on the freezer by allowing the cooling cycles to last alot longer.

The freezer will be removing the same amount of heat of course, but like I said, it is a hell of alot easier on the freezer to cycle on 3 times an hour and run for 10 min, than having to cycle on 15 times, at 3 minutes per cycle.

Comment

I don't understand why you would seal the MB in *anything*. Wouldn't that just insulate the component?

And, as far as condensation and computer being off and such, so what if it does develop condensation? The amounts will be trivial and, nearly non-existant if the computer remains on most of the time.

What's the concern? Puddling? If you're worried about puddling, just mount the MB at an angle in the freezer. Any sweat that does form during off periods will be vaporized moments after restarting the computer as long as we're not talking about months and months of downtime.

And, even if it does hasten the deteriation of computer parts, what's the big deal? These things are obsolete the instant you buy them, anyway. No matter what speed machine you get today, the only reason you didn't get a faster one is because you couldn't justify the expense of the next faster one. Otherwise, we'd all have cyro-cased supercomputers.

That said, there's a fairly good chance that you'll be upgrading the majority of the hardware within the next 24 months, even if just to keep up with the jones'.

However, how are you going to keep the freezer sealed? I expect that you're about to have to drill the freezer and run the required cables through those holes. In order to seal them, you may end up making your monitor, mouse, and keyboard permanant fixtures into your new computer case.

So, my risk assessment so far is:
              Condensation won't cause puddles if the MB is mounted in such a way that any water always has a way to roll off the edge.
              Condensation won't happen that much anyway, in a closed freezer.
              Even if it does, so what?
              Be happy with your monitor, keyboard, and mouse before permanently affixing them to the freezer.

Jeff...

Comment

well i hae defetly desided to do it in about 6 months im going to buy new everything goig to spend aout 3500 not including moniter im hoping that amd will break the 2.0gig mark on the mp series and the over clock the dual athlons at the same time im going to buy a cam. so i show the over clock speeds.

and yes the computer would stay on 24-7-365

Comment

Re: freezing computer

Hey... guys if you dont want humidity which causes condensation, just put a humidity absorbing product in it such as damprid.

Comment

There is a case that is like an AC; Sytrin nextherm. It uses TEC to send cold air into the case interior. Is that cold enough?

Comment

Look at the post dates you guys! Not including the last two posts this thread died in March of 2002!
                      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

oh, I was wondering why I never saw this thread before.

Comment

Working...
                        X