Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Upgrade My Computer To This Or Should I Wait For New Stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Upgrade My Computer To This Or Should I Wait For New Stuff?

Sorry i didnt know where to put this , OK the setup iam buying is as followed
    amd64x2 4400
    2 gigs ram
    ultra 600 watt psu
    thermaltake case
    GeCube x1900xtx oh great article thats the reasons i want this card
    Asus crossfire mother board ui havent exactly picked one yet
    200 gig sata2 hdd
    well there will be more but thats the jist of it.
    I have 2200 to spend on a computer givve me a answer plzz

Re: Should I Upgrade My Computer To This Or Should I Wait For New Stuff?

Well as far as waiting for "new stuff" goes, so far it does not seem like AMD's AM2 CPUs will be a lot better than the current s939 CPUs. But who knows after AM2 they may release a REALLY nice set of processors. That would be at least a year away though, if not two. I would not worry about the "new" stuff and would buy what you have there, except I might not gor for the 1900XTX and probably the XT but I dont have as much money to spend on hardware as you do.

Comment

how much longer till AMD2 comes out because i have to have a computer for july for college

Comment

Late May, but it's impossible to say for sure whether boards will actually be available. I'd bet everything will be out before July, though.

There's another option, however, and it may be a better one. The AOpen i975Xa-YDG is a socket 479 board that supports both Yonah (Core Duo/Core Solo) and the upcoming Merom (basically an improved, 64-bit Yonah). These are notebook chips in a desktop board. It includes some incredible overclocking capabilities, and right now an overclocked Core Duo in this board is the fastest thing you can get. It theoretically has about as much upgradability as Core 2 Duo (Conroe) and AM2, although Conroe is going to be a little better (clock-for-clock, the CPUs will be faster). It's still faster than AM2 and socket 939, so I'd say it's an option worth giving some serious consideration.

Read this article for more information.

Comment

but if i go with the 939 socket then it will suck and be out of date and would only last me for 2 years or will it last almost as long as the amd2 i dont know

Comment

It's a given that any route you choose will be outdated in two or three years. That is the nature of computer components. The idea that anyone can "futureproof" their system is a myth.
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTON88
              but if i go with the 939 socket then it will suck and be out of date and would only last me for 2 years or will it last almost as long as the amd2 i dont know
              Interesting statement, considering no one recommended you get a socket 939 system.

No system will last two years unless you choose to wait that long. Sockets have lasted that long, but the chipsets needed for the newest processors never do. That, or some other component doesn't. AGP socket 939 users got cut off with PCI-E. LGA775 needed a new chipset for dual-core. Socket 479 needed a new chipset for Yonah. Socket A needed new chipsets for Athlon XPs, DDR, and 400MHz FSB/DDR400. Socket 478 needed new chipsets for 800MHz FSB. Three years is the most you can expect to get out of a motherboard before any worthwhile core upgrades require a new system entirely. Hard drives, peripherals, and RAM are the only components that last long enough that you can build systems around them. With that in mind, a system based around DDR2 makes the most sense right now.

And for the record, socket 939 won't last nearly that long. It's already dead as an upgradable platform. It's future is the entry-level systems. As of the AM2 release date, socket 939 is in a very similar spot to Socket A or socket 754 when they were replaced. Sure, you can still build a very fast system around it, but it won't make it through anymore upgrades.
              Last edited by Yawgm0th; 05-11-2006, 04:00 PM.

Comment

socket 754 never lasted that long anyway - 939 was already in the works when they released 754. regardless, processors, if theyre fast, will last a good while - s939 should definately keep up for 2 years at least, in terms of gaming.

oh yeah, and why did intel add a single pin to s748? did they REALLY need it for a VITAL bit? how compeletely poncey.
                Last edited by Munkul; 05-12-2006, 03:35 AM.

Comment

tyhanks uiam buy AMD2 now

Comment

Originally posted by Munkul
                    oh yeah, and why did intel add a single pin to s748? did they REALLY need it for a VITAL bit? how compeletely poncey.
                    They did not add a pin. They just call it a Socket 479 CPU so morons don't buy them for their Socket 478 boards. They do have a different pin configuration. And the Dothan and Yonah both have different pin configurations. But they all have 478 pins.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate
                    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

oh, now it makes sense.

Comment

Just like s940 and AM2, they both have the same number of pins, but the pin outs are diffrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Amd_Lover2004
                          Well as far as waiting for "new stuff" goes, so far it does not seem like AMD's AM2 CPUs will be a lot better than the current s939 CPUs. But who knows after AM2 they may release a REALLY nice set of processors. That would be at least a year away though, if not two. I would not worry about the "new" stuff and would buy what you have there, except I might not gor for the 1900XTX and probably the XT but I dont have as much money to spend on hardware as you do.
                          amd2 wont be much better,lol dude can u say ddr2 for starters....insane amds so0n u will see..
                          Stacker830 Watercooled
                          windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                          Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                          8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                          Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                          13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                          (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                          biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                          xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                          sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                          co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                          Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                          Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Working...
                          X