Would like sides for Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like sides for Case

Im not really all that great with removing all the hardware and everything and switching it into another case so does anyone know where i can just get the cover to switch out? (preferably clear sides) I just want to take off my side pannels and replace them if possible. I asked gateway and they told me they didnt make any custom covers.

Thanks

Gateway 510XL
    Pentium 4 - HT
    Geforce 6800 GT 256 MB AGP8x
    512MB DDR400 PC3200

Re: Would like sides for Case

Simple, make your own dude.

Comment

Actualy i decided to go ahead and try and do this my self i went and got some plexiglass, Goop contact sealant and adhesive(clear), a jig saw and some bi-metal blades. I have a ? about the finsihed product tho. I plan on attatching the glass on the inside of the case so you will be able to see the final cut perfectly. Does anyone have any idea of what I could use to trim out around the edges? Also I saw another site that said you could use a jig or a dremel but I would like to get an opinion on using the jig vs dremel if possible.

thanks

Comment

A jig or sabre saw will leave rough edges, which much be ground or sanded down.
        I've used a sabre saw, then used a grinding wheel on a dremel to smooth things out before painting.

Comment

Alright thanks for the info. Ill probaly go out and buy a attachment for my drill with a grinding wheel on it if it gets too ruff. I found window moldings at frozencpu.com if that helps anyone. I will post pics when im done...wish me luck

Comment

1 More ?. Does anyone know if its ok to use a holesaw on the plexiglass or would i need to use a router? I plan on putting a fan or 2 in my window to add to my 3 existing.

Comment

Yes you can use a holesaw but like any other cutting device used on plexiglass it must be used at a very slow speed or you'll start to melt to the plexiglass instead of cutting it.

Comment

roger that thanks ill probaly start modding my case sometime this weekend.

Comment

I was going to suggest the moldings from frozencpu, I used them on my reservoir(120mm hole) and it is very clean looking.

Comment

I have a question about putting the molding on the window. Does it go on before the plexiglass inside the hole I cut or does it go on after the plexiglass just around the hole and the glass?
                    Last edited by Gook_Killer; 04-12-2005, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Check out CrazyPC for window kits, come complete with window (different styles) and moulding. Also, a nibbler is the tool you want for cutting out your sides. It makes a clean cut. I'm trying to find one now for myself, if I do I'll post back up here.

Comment

Well, I worked on my case window this weekend. Here is my report. the hand nibbler is a bust. Yes, it cut for me but a window the size of an 80mm fan was very tiring and left a blister on my hand. I used a dremel and about 6 cutting disks to cut the main window section. Much easier. The nibbler did the job but what a pain to work with.

Comment

Working...
                        X