EMI question for the Thermaltake Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMI question for the Thermaltake Tech

I sent an e-mail to thermaltake about my new case, but the responds was not what I would call helpful. I have enclosed the question and responds, any thoughts.

*I recently purchase a Thermaltake Armor MX VH8000BWS and have a question about possible EMI effect on a TV connected by way of cable within about 8 feet of the case; the Thermaltake clear side panel is in the same direction as is the placement of TV and about the same height. Because of the large clear panel is it possible to allow increase EMI from the case to reach this TV. I understand that TV's are not really equipped to diminish EMI effects very well. If this is true will Thermaltake change the way the clear panel is made to incorporate a very fine mash screen grounded to the case to suppress any EMI emissions*

Responds:

Dear Customer,<o:p></o:p>
    Thank you for contacting Thermaltake.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>We are not going have the mash screen side panel for this chassis this time. </o:p>
    <o:p>But we have VH9000SNS with mash screen side panel.</o:p>
    <o:p>VH9000SNS: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1381&ID=1774</o:p>
    If you have any further question or suggestion, please feel free to contact us at anytime. We value your business and opinion.<o:p></o:p>
    You may also find parts, refurbished, and discontinued items athttp://www.thermaltakestore.com/<o:p></o:p>
    Have a great day and thank you for choosing Thermaltake.<o:p></o:p>
    Regards,

Re: EMI question for the Thermaltake Tech

It's unlikely any EMI from the computer will have effects on the TV through the side panel and as such Taiwan does not produce such a item.

Comment

Comment

Just thinking out loud.... Could you not try wrapping (or just covering) your clear side panel with aluminum foil to see if your theory is correct? I'd be more likely to suspect that both units are on the same electrical circut and power fluctuation is causeing the issue. Currently myself and my brother in law are using windowed cases (Antec 900s) in fairly close proximity to a television with no visible problem. I have previously run without side panels as close as two feet from a t.v. with out noticing any interference. Not saying the problem you are seeing is not what you suspect but I do doubt it.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Are you noticing it on a CRT or LCD TV?

I've had a system within an inch of a CRT TV and can't say I have noticed any weird effects. Having a CRT monitor next to a CRT TV certainly did produce some strange discolouration effects though.

I do agree with you the perspex isn't a good EMI dampener and allows more through but unfortunately the Armor MX does not come with a solid side panel version which would be ideal in enclosing EMI.

As for the mesh side, to be more effective a finer mesh would be necessary and this IMO would detract too much from the original clean looks and I'm guessing it was not considered for the Armor MX.

PrairieDawg does have a point that the problem may be elsewhere rather than the small EMI emitted through the side window.
          Last edited by lazyboy1984; 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Comment

missed one item you asked, The CRT and LCD are placed at the right hand side of the case, which is a full metal panel, and no problems with both running

Comment

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHarry%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-gutter-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> There is one more thing I will try, leave the TV where it is and connect the TV to a different AC circuit in another room that I know is on a different AC phase line and see what happens, just to eliminate the feed back path of the power supply switching circuits.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X