Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermaltake's midtower series space issues

Hello Michael.

I've built a new rig last month and I thought that as far as hardware compatibility is concerned I had it all covered but, yesterday it stroke me: What if I want to install a CPU cooling system?
    Let's face it. Thermaltake's SopranoRS201 is a beautifull case but, it's a midtower configuration and with my huge 4870x2, it's getting too crowded inside the case. My bad! I should had gone for the fulltower configuration but I had to cut expenses somewhere...
    Anyway, this was what I got - and I'm happy with it, don't get me wrong. So, my questions for you (or for Thermaltake) are:
    1. Are there air-cooling systems that will fit in a system like my gaming rig (see sign.)? If yes, which?
    2. Is Thermaltake aware of this issue and is somehow, working to solve it either with their own coolers, either with third-party products?
    3. And what about both CPU and/or GPU water-cooling? What are my options?

Thanks in advance,

Johnny Rook
    Last edited by Johnny Rook; 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM.
    System Components: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4,0Ghz; Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (X58-EXTREME F12 BIOS); Sapphire HD5970 2GB OC Edition; Western Digital Blue 500GB; Seagate 7200.12 1000MB; 6GB Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3; DVD-RW LG; Corsair TX750W
    Watercooling System: EK-Supreme Skt 1366 WaterBlock + EK backplate Skt 1366; Kit EK-FB GAX58 WaterBlocks; Aqua-Computer AquagratiX 5970 WaterBlock; 360mm Thermaltake radiator; 360mm BI Stealth X-Flow radiator; Laing MCP355 pump; EK-DDC X-TOP rev.2 Plexi
    Danger Den Plexi E/S 1/2" reservoir; 4x A.C. Ryan UV 120mm; 3x Tacens Ventus PRO ICE 120mm; 2x NoiseBlocker Black Silent XE2 92mm; Liquid Cooling FESER Black; FESER tubing 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD; Enzotech Compression Fittings G 1/4

Re: Thermaltake's midtower series space issues

Hi Johhny,

we have got a few coolers in the pipeline that will be compatible with the latest video cards like the 4870 but even so, all of that in a mid tower is always going to struggle until you route the heat out of the case.

I wouldn't really call it a issue, I myself prefer mid towers but there is a limit to how much heat and air the case will flow. When you're running something serious like that, water cooling with a externally mounted rad would be the only real option.

So, to answer your questions:

1. No most air coolers would be insufficient in such a confined space.
    2. I'd recommend upgrading the CPU to a decent air cooler first and...
    3. the GPU I'm willing to bet is putting out the most heat being a X2 so watercool it and route the rad outside. This way by removing the heat from the hottest component via watercooling means the aircooling inside of the case can keep up with the CPU/MB/HDDs.

Comment

Thank you so much for the quick answers and enlighted guidance. Much appreciated.

Johnny
      System Components: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4,0Ghz; Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (X58-EXTREME F12 BIOS); Sapphire HD5970 2GB OC Edition; Western Digital Blue 500GB; Seagate 7200.12 1000MB; 6GB Corsair 1333Mhz DDR3; DVD-RW LG; Corsair TX750W
      Watercooling System: EK-Supreme Skt 1366 WaterBlock + EK backplate Skt 1366; Kit EK-FB GAX58 WaterBlocks; Aqua-Computer AquagratiX 5970 WaterBlock; 360mm Thermaltake radiator; 360mm BI Stealth X-Flow radiator; Laing MCP355 pump; EK-DDC X-TOP rev.2 Plexi
      Danger Den Plexi E/S 1/2" reservoir; 4x A.C. Ryan UV 120mm; 3x Tacens Ventus PRO ICE 120mm; 2x NoiseBlocker Black Silent XE2 92mm; Liquid Cooling FESER Black; FESER tubing 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD; Enzotech Compression Fittings G 1/4

Comment

You could think about a replacement at a lower cost, checkout their refurbished link on the larger towers..Armor+ VH6000BWS for $100..
        Refurbished Chassis

Comment

Originally posted by Hap View Post
          You could think about a replacement at a lower cost, checkout their refurbished link on the larger towers..Armor+ VH6000BWS for $100...
          I did indeed, replaced the tower. Not by a refurbished one but by a Kandalf LCS @ €199,99 only!

JRook

Comment

Working...
          X