Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Experience with 128GB 1.8" ZIF in HP 2710p

Originally posted by turpindm View Post
    For my 2710p upgrade, there was absolutely nothing special that I had to do.

After I had cloned my HDD to the SSD, I simply disconnected my HDD from the Zif cable and connected my SSD. Of course you have to find pin one of the SDD and make sure that you match it to where pin one was for the HDD. The 2710p required that I resuse the Zif cable from the HDD on the SSD.

Comment

Honestly, the hardest part of the whole job was figuring out how each Zif connector's locking mechanism worked.

HP 2710p Runcore installation notes:

From the instructions that came with the SSD it wasn't clear where pins 1 and 40 were. If the you are looking at the SSD with the Runcore logo facing up and the ZIF connector on the right, then pin 1 will be at the bottom of the connector and 40 will be at the top. This is the proper orientation for the SSD when installed in the USB case. Note: I never closed the USB case. I did all of the cloning, etc. with the USB case open (to keep from bending the Zif cable too much).

When connecting the SSD to the laptop via USB, make note that the included cable has two standard-sized USB connectors. Use the one with two cables feeding into it. Also, the only USB connector on my 2710p that would recogize the drive was the one or right side (near the rear).

HDD removal instructions are given in the service manual for the computer at http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/.../c01566987.pdf

The orginal HDD was difficult to get out. You should follow the the instructions referenced above. Take the cable loose from the motherboard before attempting to remove the HDD. Likewise, insert the Zif cable into the SSD before putting the Runcore SSD back onto the 2710p. Like me, you probably won't be able to get all of the rubber packing material back into the laptop; however, since the SSD has no moving parts, it should be pretty insensitive to shock.

Attached is a photo of the Runcore SSD installed in the 2710p.

Also, you asked about benchmarks, there has been no measurable change in performance since I installed this drive in early September (~1.5 months ago).

I hope that this info is helpful.
      Attached Files

Comment

Also, you asked about benchmarks, there has been no measurable change in performance since I installed this drive in early September (~1.5 months ago).

I hope that this info is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by rmjanzen View Post
          Coming back to the performance. Also no problem with large consecutive writes ? Also I see some threads with people having problems coming out of hibernate/sleep. Are you having any problems like this since using the ssd ? (btw which OS are you using ? )
          No problems with read/writes at all (that I'm aware of). I *never* reboot my laptop. I always put the system to sleep between locations. I have experienced NO PROBLEMS with the SSD and hibernate/sleep. My OS is Vista Enterprise SP2 (32-bit). The laptop has 4GB of RAM.

I plan to upgrade this system to Win7 between now and the end of the year. I'll provide an update if I see any problems.

I hope that this information helps.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by rmjanzen; 10-27-2009, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I was not able to setup the usb interface for the ssd - so I have used a fresh installation for vista and windows 7.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by gmichael View Post
                  I was not able to setup the usb interface for the ssd - so I have used a fresh installation for vista and windows 7.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by gmichael View Post
                    I have problems with this hibernate/sleep problem with my 128 GB Runcore IV. The disk doesn't restart after wakeup my 2710p. I had this problem with Vista SP2 (64bit) and the same with Windows 7 (64 bit). Would be glad to get any further hint, what's going wrong.
                    From your description, the only noticable difference between your system and mine is that you are running 64-bit Vista and I'm running the 32-bit version. Did you have any problems with hibernate/sleep before you swapped the SSD for your original HDD? Have you always been running the 64-bit version of the OS?

After I installed the SSD, I noticed some slowness in resumption from sleep. I noticed that the HDD light was amber. I removed the HP Driveguard application (it is not needed for an SSD because it has no moving parts). That seemed to make resumption from sleep more prompt; however, I've NEVER had a case where the machine would not wake at all.

The next time that I reboot, I'll look at the bios settings for anything that might make a difference. If I find something, I'll report it here. Good luck with your system....

Comment

From your description, the only noticable difference between your system and mine is that you are running 64-bit Vista and I'm running the 32-bit version. Did you have any problems with hibernate/sleep before you swapped the SSD for your original HDD? Have you always been running the 64-bit version of the OS?

After I installed the SSD, I noticed some slowness in resumption from sleep. I noticed that the HDD light was amber. I removed the HP Driveguard application (it is not needed for an SSD because it has no moving parts). That seemed to make resumption from sleep more prompt; however, I've NEVER had a case where the machine would not wake at all.

The next time that I reboot, I'll look at the bios settings for anything that might make a difference. If I find something, I'll report it here. Good luck with your system....
                      Hi,

I have removed all HP protection tool from my 2710p. There are some problems with Windows 7 and I don't think that I need a driveguard to protect the surface of my hdd .
                      I think I'll wait till a firmware upgrade is available. So I'll use the hibernate mode instead sleep mode (needs about 20-30 seconds to get my 2710p into the internet) till there's a solution.

Thanks for your help so far!

Comment

I plan to upgrade this system to Win7 between now and the end of the year. I'll provide an update if I see any problems.
                        I upgraded to Win7, 64-bit three weeks ago. About a week after I upgraded, HP released several drivers that fixed all of my issues related to the upgrade. The system is working flawlessly now (including sleep).

Comment

Hi i need to understand this before i decide to buy.
                          I am user of HP 2710p and I am currently using dual boot (windows 7 and ubuntu 11.10)
                          Do i have to clone the disk to the new SSD?
                          What happens later if i decide to use other os and delete them...
                          Using the SSD on 2710p, is it possible to make a clean install of any operating system?

Comment

I know this is an old thread, however I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using a KingSpec SSD in a HP 2710p?

I tried using a KingSpec KSD-ZF18.6-XXXMS 128 gb SSD in my 2710p and after installing an OS onto the unit the BIOS could no longer recognize the SSD as a bootable device. In fact after installing Windows 8 Pro onto the SSD my tablet worked amazingly well for about an hour then it seems like the SSD simply failed, and from that point on I can no longer access the device in any fashion (Linux Rescue Mode doesn't see the device, The BIOS sometimes (2/10) will report a HDD that is untestable, and of course it will not allow me to set any of the hardware boot security configurations for the SSD (Boot Password, Test Hard Drive, etc.))

I would love to hear anyone else's experiences with a KingSpec SSD in a HP 2710p.

-- Jeff M.

Comment

Working...
                            X