Experience with 128GB 1.8" ZIF in HP 2710p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with 128GB 1.8" ZIF in HP 2710p

The performance of the 100GB 4,200 RPM HDD in my HP 2710p tablet using Vista and Bitlocker has been unbearable for some time. I've been watching forum/blog posts for several months looking for a workable SSD solution. I talked to a few people who had tried first generation SSDs, and they said that SSD performance was WORSE than the 4,200 RPM HDD that I already was using. Based on the forum/blog posts that I've seen, this is probably due to the controllers used.....

After several good reports in the same sources regarding the throughput of the Runcore IV products, I decided to give it a try. I've had the Runcore SSD installed for almost a week, and performance FAR EXCEEDS MY EXPECTATIONS. Read/write performance for 4K random files has improved over 500% (even under Bitlocker). So far I've had zero problems. MS Word and Excel start instantly (previously this took 30-60 seconds). Previously, network-based backup would bring my system to its knees. Now, I don't even notice.

Note: The fact that some Runcore installations noted in this forum have started out great and developed problems later has not been lost on me. I'm keeping my system backed up, and my old HDD is close at hand in case it's needed; however, so far, so good.

=====

After some initial confusion regarding installing the SSD in the USB enclosure, given below are the steps for my installation.
    1. Turn Bitlocker off and decrypt the laptop’s HDD.
    2. Connect SSD via USB and copy Migrate Easy to HDD.
    3. Install Migrate Easy on the HDD & reboot.
    4. Execute Migrate Easy to clone the HDD to the SSD.
    5. Physically replace the HDD with the SSD.
    6. Re-enable Bitlocker and encrypt the SSD.
    Note: this installation required that the ZIF cable for the HDD be reused on the SSD.

Re: Experience with 128GB 1.8" ZIF in HP 2710p

I am considering a Runcore 128GB SSD for my 2710p but I am confused by the different models. Which one is compatible with the 2710p? Many thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by thalweg View Post
      I am considering a Runcore 128GB SSD for my 2710p but I am confused by the different models. Which one is compatible with the 2710p? Many thanks for the help!
      I am using RunCore 128GB Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA Zif in my HP2710P. It's part# RCP-IV-Z1828-C. Mine came from My Digital Discount. Even though two ZIF cables are included with the new SSD, installation of the SSD into the computer required that the ZIF cable for the HDD be reused on the SSD.

Still no HD errors and disk benchmarks are as good as the day the SSD was installed. System: HP 2710P, Vista + Bitlocker.

Comment

turpindm thanks for the post. That computer is the perfect candidate for our zif upgrade. We have had many people ask us about that computer and say the same thing as you are saying about the dog slow HDD in a Ferrari of a computer.

You have unleashed the true power of your PC.

Matt

Comment

Read/write performance for 4K random files has improved over 500% (even under Bitlocker). So far I've had zero problems. MS Word and Excel start instantly (previously this took 30-60 seconds). Previously, network-based backup would bring my system to its knees. Now, I don't even notice.
          FYI. For the original HDD, Vista's Windows Experience Index for the disk data transfer rate was 3.9. With the Runcore SSD, the index is 5.7.

Note: this installation required that the ZIF cable for the HDD be reused on the SSD.
          Note: There were rubber shock absorbers on the corners of the HDD along with other foam pieces to cushion the HDD. I could not get all of this material back in the drive bay with the Runcore. I put enough of it to prevent the SSD drive from moving, and left out the rest. Since the SSD has no moving parts, shock absorption shouldn't be as big a deal anyway.

Comment

Hi

I 'm running the 64GB version on 2510p , great results !
            os is Vista 32 with 4GB

it just becames the fastest computer I ever used

but looking at my benchmarks, I wonder if what's wrong with my write performances ...
            would you please post your scores please ?
            thanks

Vincent

--------------------------------------------------
            CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
            Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
            --------------------------------------------------
            Sequential Read : 78.710 MB/s
            Sequential Write : 30.101 MB/s
            Random Read 512KB : 75.060 MB/s
            Random Write 512KB : 26.084 MB/s
            Random Read 4KB : 16.612 MB/s
            Random Write 4KB : 2.610 MB/s
            Test Size : 50 MB
            Date : 2009/10/07 0:06:01

Comment

Are you using the Pro IV or the 1st 1.8" we came out with?

That performance defiantly looks way off for a pro IV.

Matt

Comment

Hi

yes it is RCP-IV-Z1864-C
                below the output of sandra 2009.9.15.124
                Why it shows 32MB of cache ?
                Why my writes performances are not as expected ?

Vincent

General Capabilities
                Channel : Master
                Type : ATA
                Interface : SATA
                Removable : No
                Model : RunCore 64G-C SSD
                Revision : 1571
                Serial Number : RC0900013650
                ATA/ATAPI Approved Version : 7.00
                Cache Size : 32MB
                Drive Geometry
                CHS Geometry : 16383 x 16 x 63
                CHS Total Sectors : 16514064
                LBA Total Sectors : 125045424
                Number of ECC Bytes : 12288
                Capacity : 59.63GB
                Translation Mode Disk Geometry
                CHS Geometry : 7783 x 255 x 63
                Bytes Per Sector : 512bytes
                Capacity : 59.62GB
                Partitions Information
                Partition 1 : MBR Boot IFS-NTFS 6.5GB
                Partition 2 : MBR IFS-NTFS 53.12GB
                Logical Drives
                Logical Drive : C:
                Logical Drive : S:
                Cache Information
                Read Cache : Yes
                Write Cache : Yes
                Prefetch Buffer : No

Comment

As for WINDOW OS cache problem you mentioned this morning, As far as I know when the buffer more than 32MB, HD Tune&everest ultimate or others software could only display it as 32MB. It is the problem between OS and disk physical layer protocol .So may be we should found a way to slove it...

Comment

Originally posted by Magic20100 View Post
                    but looking at my benchmarks, I wonder if what's wrong with my write performances ...
                    would you please post your scores please ?
                    thanks

Date : 2009/10/07 0:06:01
                    So here are the benchmarks for the original sloooooow 4,200 RPM HDD that came with my tablet-laptop:

Sequential Read : 17.48 MB/s
                    Sequential Write : 12.78 MB/s
                    Random Read 512KB : 8.447 MB/s
                    Random Write 512KB : 10.64 MB/s
                    Random Read 4KB : 0.205 MB/s
                    Random Write 4KB : 0.681 MB/s

Here are benchmarks for the same computer/OS/config with the Runcore 128 GB PATA Zif:

Sequential Read : 81.13 MB/s
                    Sequential Write : 66.53 MB/s
                    Random Read 512KB : 72.35 MB/s
                    Random Write 512KB : 66.31 MB/s
                    Random Read 4KB : 16.12 MB/s
                    Random Write 4KB : 8.336 MB/s

Here's the same computer/OS with Bitlocker turned on (my normal operating mode):

Sequential Read : 65.41MB/s
                    Sequential Write : 50.77 MB/s
                    Random Read 512KB : 53.31 MB/s
                    Random Write 512KB : 36.10 MB/s
                    Random Read 4KB : 11.30 MB/s
                    Random Write 4KB : 5.844 MB/s

Word and Excel launch in one or two seconds (compared to 30-60 before); moreover, my network-enabled backup runs WITHOUT ANY IMPACT ON MY SYSTEM. Before, I could do no work while it was running.

This has been the most productive PC upgrade that I've ever done!

Comment

It is certainly one of the largest boosts in performance I have ever seen. Love the feeling myself I have Runcore drives in everything I have now and every-time I upgrade something the difference is so big it is like I have a new device.

Also, the HP 2510p could have some built in bottle necks that we don't know about. For example the Dell Mini 10 can only reach 125/51 Read/Write with a Runcore Pro IV SATA SSD and that drive can operate at 240/170 Read/Write. That being said everyone who has upgraded the Mini 10 to a Runcore drive says they would never part with the upgrade.

Turp, any chance you know what is going on with Magic's computer?

Matt
                      Last edited by Runcore Marketing; 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Hi, I'm also trying to use a 32gb ssd in my 2510p, but without much luck. When connected the BIOS no longer shows the hard drive or the optical drive, so I am guessing this is a master/slave issue?

Other posts here have talked about removing R49 to turn off cable select, but my RCP-I-Z5032-C doesn't have a resistor labeled this high or in the place other posters have indicated...

Any ideas? How did you guys get yours to work?

Thanks!

Comment

Does it work via the USB case?

Matt

Comment

For my 2710p upgrade, there was absolutely nothing special that I had to do.

After I had cloned my HDD to the SSD, I simply disconnected my HDD from the Zif cable and connected my SSD. Of course you have to find pin one of the SDD and make sure that you match it to where pin one was for the HDD. The 2710p required that I resuse the Zif cable from the HDD on the SSD.

Comment

Thanks for your replies,

It works great via USB (so fast!), and using the zif connector in an Acer Aspire one.

I'm pretty sure I have the cable the right way up to get the pins to match, but I have tried both ways just in case. If the cable is the 'wrong' way round, the BIOS only sees the optical drive - which is the same as when no drive is attached at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X