No announcement yet.

MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Originally posted by mjmolano View Post
    I believe something is wrong with the 200 MB EFI partition at the beginning of the disk. Does anyone know how to restore it? I have no backup of it...
    If you do a conventional full install from CD/DVD, with a new drive, does it not create that partition?

Eliminate all other possible problems, such as worn/broken cables, insert the cables by the proper method, and then try again to do the install

Comment

I just got the Runcore 128GB SSD (RCP-IV-ZA1828-C) for my MBA Rev. A and thought I'd share my experience with whoever is reading this.

BOTTOM LINE: It works! It's fast! I'm happy!

But there were a few hickups regarding the installation:

1) There where two ZIF cables supplied. I wasn't able to use the one shown in the installation manual (the one with one blue end). The blue end was simply too thick to go into the connectors. I had to use the other one - but that worked fine.
      2) When I connected the SSD to the USB port using the supplied connector I was able to copy my native MBA harddisk to the Runcore SSD, but I was unable to boot from it even though it was recognized by the MBA at boot up. I tried to copy the disk twice using Carbon Clone Copy once and SuperDuper once - same result. All the files were there and I was able to browse the SSD, but it wouldn't eject normaly in OSX.

So what I did was to hope for the best and install it anyway (using iFixit's guide. It was relatively easy - took me only about half an hour even though I havn't been inside a Mac before. I'll recommend buying the screwdriver and spunger recommended by iFixit like I did).

After installation I booted up from the DVD-drive with the Snow Leopard installation disc. Installed Snow Leopard again on top of the old system which wasn't bootable and VOILA - everything works perfectly.

As a bonus I have installed the old 80GB HD in the case supplied by Runcore and now have a tiny external 80 HD "for free".

That's about it.

You've seen the nice Xbench-marks before, but I've attached mine, before and after, anyway.
      Attached Files

Comment

Well, Flopsy, whatever ya do, dont wipe anything off your old 80gb HDD until that critter has been runnin faultlessly for a month or more...

Just to be safe, heh?

Comment

Got Ya Blue Screen! Havn't touched it and wont for a while. Thanks.

PS: The SSD is still running fine - one day later - and no problems with going in and out of sleep mode.

UPDATE: Had it for a month now - still works fine with no issues at all :) Me happy as h**l
          Last edited by Flopsy007; 02-07-2010, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Hello, I would like to buy one 64gb runcore ssd on shop4memory.com but how is it possible to know if ssd in stock have last firmware?
            Thanks.

PS : Has anyone already bought something on shop4memory ?

Comment

• RunCore 128 GB MBA 1st Rev Bootcamp

Hello,

I installed a Runcore 128 GB SSD on my first gen MBA and couldn't be happier with speed, etc. With the extra space, I wanted to install Win 7 using Bootcamp, but when it comes to the point where the Win 7 install needs to format the BOOTCAMP drive, it fails (I tried both 32 and 64 bit installs).

Does anyone know of a workaround or if it is possible with my Runcore? Any information would be much appreciated.

thanks,
              Glen

Comment

Hi gman_nyc,
                why don't you just install Windows 7 as a Virtual system using VirtualBox (which is freeware). I'm running that on my 1. gen. MBA with the 128GB Runcore SSD and it works just fine. It might be a bit slow if you want to use it as the primary operative system, but for a secondary system it is fine.

By the way, everyone - have had my Runcore 128GB SSD in my 1. gen. MBA for a month now and I love it! Markedly better speed and more space - who wouldn't! I have not encountered any problems since the installation (see previous post).

Comment

Hi Flopsy,

Thanks - I've got an XP VM running under VMWare but I heard some good things about Win 7 using SSD so I was willing to carve out 32 GBs for a bootcamp version.

For those that try this and end of erasing the bootcamp partition because of the formatting problem, be aware that, sometimes, the regular Mac startup may be impacted (blank window stays for 30 - 40 seconds before the "Apple" appears). I reinstalled Snow Leopard and brought everything back via SuperDuper and all is very fast once again.

Glen

Comment

<o:p></o:p>
                    Very unfortunate.<o:p></o:p>

Comment

• Re: RunCore 128 GB MBA 1st Rev Bootcamp

Originally posted by gman_nyc View Post
                      Hello,

I installed a Runcore 128 GB SSD on my first gen MBA and couldn't be happier with speed, etc. With the extra space, I wanted to install Win 7 using Bootcamp, but when it comes to the point where the Win 7 install needs to format the BOOTCAMP drive, it fails (I tried both 32 and 64 bit installs).

Does anyone know of a workaround or if it is possible with my Runcore? Any information would be much appreciated.

thanks,
                      Glen
                      The partiton of BOOTCAMP is formatted as FAT32, but the partiton for windows 7 setup must be NTFS.

So you'd better format the partiton of BOOTCAMP as NTFS. You can take it out of your MBA and connect it to another PC by USB enclosure to format it.
                      It is inconvenient for you to take it out. So you can using a Windows XP setup CD to format it as NTFS file system. After formatting, then to install windows 7.

But be caution not to choose the wrong partition.

Comment

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8&quot; Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Originally posted by bdavidson View Post
                        <o:p></o:p>
                        Very unfortunate.<o:p></o:p>
                        I may need to correct my comment. Based on rereading, gman_nyc was able to boot off the windows DVD in his MBA Rev A with the SSD installed, just not format. That may be a good sign since booting windows DVD/CDs has always been the problem for me on other macs with SSD.

Now if only the US distributer would get the 64gb version in stock.

Comment

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8&quot; Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

15pcs are on the way to MDD right now but they will be the last 15pcs until March 5th so you may want to get your order in immediately. Maybe even call them to make sure that the 15pcs are not on back orders and already sold.

Matt Dawson
                          Runcore

Comment

• Firmware updates

Matt,

I emailed tech support but no response. I need an .iso firmware update for my macbook air rev. B to 1916. Can you help out? Or is there a better way to get it installed on a mac?

Comment

Hello every one. Trying to flash the SSD-drive but is getting:
                              "Bad command or filename - "SSDCHK.exe"
                              Remove CD_ROM from drive and reboot you computer"

When I try to boot from the CD I got from Runcore and burned. Anyone?

Edit: I solved it, didn't realize the CD was the C: was the mac HD...
                              Last edited by aksel.dahllof; 02-15-2010, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Hello,

could anyone tell me where i could have installed the Runcore SSD on my MacBook Air rev A in Paris (France)??
                                I don't want to do it on my own.
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X