• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype � Desk Chassis: DK01

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

• Will tempered safety glass be used?
      • The front I/O panel location might be a problem at work or at home.
        A better location might be a vertical box on top of the glass surface at the back of the table.
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

DK01-KIDDY model and the standard product would be DIY install in the owner's table. An additional model setup might be required for business customers who will want to install the DK01-BIGBIZ model in existing cubicle work areas.

I'm curious as to what Lian Li's retail price target is for the DK01?

Just my 2¢

Last edited by profJim; 01-02-2014, 05:49 PM. Reason: added price target question

Comment

• Modular legs or some variation of removable/retractable legs. That should make moving the CPU around easier especially out of the house.
                • How about putting the drives in cages rather than laying them out like that? Would save plenty of space. Preferably some dedicated SSD mounts along the bottom.
                • PSU mount - could mount it laying down instead of sideways.
                • Front I/O location could be better though, as stated.

Additional thoughts:
                • Is there space underneath the mobo tray? The images suggests so but also show the 24pin atx power snaking just underneath the drive cages.
                • Ideas on going wider?

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                  Will there be any easily removable fan filters?
                  Is there a way to allow 140 or 200mm fans to be used?
                  Increase the depth at the back to allow additional fans for air intake or exhaust.
                  Allow sound deadening material to be installed.
                  Offer an optional kit to allow the DK01 to be installed in an existing desktop surface similar to how a sink is installed in an existing counter top.

I'll be happy to be a beta tester for the DK01.
                  Yes, the fan filters are easily removable. Of current, only 120mm fans will fit, but we can think about changing - we would have to change the depth however.

Sound dampening material is a good idea.

For your other questions - we haven't completed decided on the glass to be used. Also, the I/O panel current location has been commented on by a lot of people. We will have to think of another location. However, we want to be careful not to take up desk space with the location as well as it being easily accessible.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
                      Yes, the fan filters are easily removable. Of current, only 120mm fans will fit, but we can think about changing - we would have to change the depth however.

Sound dampening material is a good idea.

For your other questions - we haven't completed decided on the glass to be used. Also, the I/O panel current location has been commented on by a lot of people. We will have to think of another location. However, we want to be careful not to take up desk space with the location as well as it being easily accessible.
                      For desk space, please consider making it 60" lengthwise. Most of us who will afford this will require that working space. Please look at options using PCIE risers/extensions if need be. Silverstone's new Raven RVZ01 is a good reference, please take time to look at how they're trying things with PCIE options to work with spaces: Silverstone Raven RVZ01 - YouTube.

Count me in as an early adopter for your new deskCase.

Comment

Dear Lian Li,

Thank you for the great opportunity to comment and post on the DK01 Prototype in order to pass some censure before release to the markets

My first thought was, that this is not an innovation at all as I have seen already something similar as a private case-mod on a German LAN-Party already 10 or 12 years ago. Nevertheless, it's a really good idea for a commercial product which I'd like to touch in reality.

This prototype has potential for some improvements... especially on the appearance as I personally feel it is not minimalistic and clean enough:

a) The combination of three colors at the same time doesn't work for my eyes. The silver dual screen holder has to match with the black glass and become less visible. I agree with earlier opinions, instead of red legs, I would prefer brushed aluminum or chrom-vanadium steel (at least as a more expensive option).

b) No plastic! The rubber feet is not acceptable and looks horrible cheap. It has to be entirely invisible beneath the legs. Please keep the good design element of the two rounded legs instead of typical four pillars. I really like that as it usually gives a lot of stability and is easier to mount together after delivery. However, the legs profile could be wider to make a better fit with the bold case corpus.

c) The case corpus size is odd and doesn't give me a symmetric impression. Honestly, it's the most ugly part on the entire thing. It's way to big in terms of height viewed from the front-side angle. Limit should be max. 140 mm (10 mm + FAN + 10 mm). GPU-Cards following the Industry-Standard reference design is anyway just 107 mm height. Two lying side ways 360 mm radiators is a perfect setup, don't change that but forget to support CPU coolers with 180 mm height. It's not required especially not by enthusiast running a silent water cooling system anyway.

d) Please stick to what you have wrote earlier and remove the front panel and put it on side or better at the back. I don't want to expose that this is a computer. Use monolithic design pattern and turn the Lian Li branding into just a tiny laser gravure next to power button (big letters and the nice & round green-yellow Lian Li logo under the glass next to Motherboard would be way much better). The lock is the typical lousy and easy to hack model. It doesn't make it more safety than a series of torx screws. Take it away, keep the front as clean as possible!

e) The glass is for sure safety glass and resistant against scratches, isn't it? Otherwise I wouldn't buy it. I'm also right to assume, that the case material is solid and thick enough to fabricate the air intake holes much more closer to each other but with a smaller profile to expose less of the interior (that will be for sure put on light).

Best regards
                        Tobias Topyla

P.S.: Please keep in mind ergonomy and taller humans in Europe (-: A larger glass surface is much appreciated. It should allow me to read a lying newspaper in the large broadsheet format plus a cup of coffee including the saucer while e.g. I'm waiting to load something for example...

Comment

furniture. That is not what Lian Li markets, furniture.

On the other hand, after owning a few so called PC desks, they are terrible. I won't use another since I changed to using a table. Far superior to a desk IMO. Call the product a desk if you like, but design it as a table.

Assuming it is a PC table, the table top must be larger, at least twice the size it is now. Or somehow integrate-able with a table. My table is much larger than that prototype, and I have no room to spare. I use monitor arm mounts for two monitors, so monitors are not using desktop space.

A table must have a functional top surface, otherwise it is not a table, it's a display case.

Table legs are meant to be functional, not seen, unless made from wood. Bright colors make it look like a toy or child's item. The current size of the prototype also looks like a child's desk, no business man, lawyer, etc, will be sitting behind that in his office, I guarantee you that! The monitors in the pictures are very small, what would 23" - 27" monitors look like with it?

The space for the outlet strip, etc, is a great idea, keep that if possible.

Quick access to a board's I/O panel will be very difficult to provide, I cannot see that as a major focus of the design, it will compromise to many other features, such as fan/radiator vents and intakes, or the drawer access to the PC. If a person needs constant access to the I/O panel, they need to use a USB hub or buy a few more cables so they don't need to swap them constantly.

Comment

Ergonomic Workspace Planner, Workstation Installation Tool). For a guy with 193 cm you should have the keyboard at 72 cm and a seat height should be at 49 cm. I think it would be impossible for the legs to fit with a 20 cm drawer (roughly from the pictures I came to a 20 cm drawer).
                            Your table is definitely for the enthusiast (hence the red led and the acrylic) but there is no fitting space for a wheel. Another detail is the frontal ports. It is very easy to damage the ports with the cables so exposed, especially the headphones and micro ports.
                            So, resuming, the table should be height should be adjustable, the drawer (or maybe should be a lid with the components in a box recessed to the end of the table) should be recessed for knee fitting and to support a wheel and the connection ports should be top mounted (maybe with a fan and volume nob - it would be nice). Some good additions would be some pre installed stuff for liquid cooling (with the pump and reservoir in the feet of the table maybe) and some height adjustment for the monitor support.
                            On the personal opinion side I think your table is ugly... I would fitter her in a school or office but never on my living room or home office.
                            Know for the good stuff: The drawer idea for easy access is awesome and super practical and the construction build is, as always, nothing short of spectacular. In terms of expand ability is impossible to do better.
                            Thank you for you time,

Dinis Domingos

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X