Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smallest ATX chassi? PC-V650?

Originally posted by profJim View Post
    Check into downdraft air coolers instead of tower type upright coolers.
    For example: Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"! - NH-C14, NH-C12P SE14 or NH-L12
    Noctua provides detailed size specs in each models' datasheet.
    Motherboard compatibility is listed for most or all of the models.

Several other manufactures offer downdraft coolers.
    Wow! Great info! Thanks! :) I will look into downdraft air coolers that might fit the PC-V650. So, I need a downdraft cooler, and can not look at tower type upright coolers, right? Downdraft coolers might fit. And also water coolers.

I also need a list of PSUs that will fit the PC-V650, right? Does anyone know a good 500 W psu >90% efficiency that will fit?

Great info here. :)

Comment

Brutalizer,

Yes, on AIO watercooling kits the part that mounts to the CPU is much smaller than say your standard CPU cooler. So it will have no problem fitting. As for fitting on Xeon Haswell, there is no issue as it has the same socket as a i7 or i5 Haswell.

Most water cooling kits like the H90 require no maintenance for several years. This and their easy setup it part of the reason why they have been growing in popularity. They are (if you excuse the marketing term) pretty much plug-and-play.

profJim did give some examples of non-liquid cooling. If you want another example of a 140mm liquid cooling kit you could check out the NZXT Kraken X40. I believe it does have a bit larger radiator though than the Corsair, so it might interfere with the PSU.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Check out reviews for air and water cooling setups.
        Noise might be a problem at times with some or most water cooling setups.
        Overall cooling will probably be somewhat better with higher priced water cooling kits.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks guys. I have read a bit, and it seems there are small coolers available. Which cooler would you use on the PC-V650, and why? Which one do you recommend?

I think I am going for the PC-V650, because it is so damn sexy. Major concerns is cable management and Cooler hitting cpu, but I will not have many cables in the case, so airflow will be fine. There are small cpu coolers, apparantely, so V650 it will be. I think. Please help me finding a good cpu cooler?

Comment

Ok guys, after your help, I am now deciding between Silverstone NT06-PRO cpu cooler, and the Noctua NH-C14. I am leaning towards the NH-C14, but wonder if it does fit in the case? It's height is 130mm. Silverstone height is 82 mm.

Silverstone:
            SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- NT06-PRO

Noctua:
            Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

What say you? Anyone know if they fit in the PC-V650?

Comment

From your Noctua link:

"The NH-C14 brings top-flow cooling to a new level by offering an exquisite, uniquely flexible 140mm dual fan setup: The two supplied NF-P14 premium fans can be installed on top and underneath the fin-stack to configure the cooler for maximum performance in dual fan mode and either lower profile (105mm) or maximum component clearance in single fan modes
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

So NH-C14 should fit into the PC-V650, right?

Comment

Originally posted by brutalizer View Post
                  So NH-C14 should fit into the PC-V650, right?
                  Yes, both would fit. For the NH-C14, you would have to have just on the underside (i.e. low-profile mode).

Comment

I bought the PC-V650 and I really like it. I have bought the Noctua NH-C14 and I use only the lower fan. It works fine. However, the chassis fans sounds too loud, so I need to replace them. Which fans should I buy instead? I am looking for some: good - high end, fans.

This guy says the 140mm Corsair AIR fans are good. Do you have any recommendations? I would need three 140mm fans, and one 120mm fan, right?
                    Watercooled Lian-Li PC-V650 [Build Log]

EDIT: Or, could I just lower the rpm on the current fans? How would I do that?
                    And, I got a "buzzer" with the case. What is a "buzzer"?

EDIT2: The case I got has correct cut out hole for the back of the cpu. This hole is wrongly placed in the pic, but my revision of the case has a correctly placed cut out hole:

EDIT 3: How can I limit the RPM of the fans? Is there any button or something? They are loud. Do I need to buy new fans?
                    Last edited by brutalizer; 12-28-2013, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brutalizer View Post
                      I bought the PC-V650 and I really like it. I have bought the Noctua NH-C14 and I use only the lower fan. It works fine. However, the chassis fans sounds too loud, so I need to replace them. Which fans should I buy instead? I am looking for some: good - high end, fans.

This guy says the 140mm Corsair AIR fans are good. Do you have any recommendations? I would need three 140mm fans, and one 120mm fan, right?
                      Watercooled Lian-Li PC-V650 [Build Log]

EDIT: Or, could I just lower the rpm on the current fans? How would I do that?
                      And, I got a "buzzer" with the case. What is a "buzzer"?

EDIT2: The case I got has correct cut out hole for the back of the cpu. This hole is wrongly placed in the pic, but my revision of the case has a correctly placed cut out hole:

EDIT 3: How can I limit the RPM of the fans? Is there any button or something? They are loud. Do I need to buy new fans?
                      Hi Brutalizer,

If you are looking to replace the fans, there are two excellent roundups here on silentpcreview for 140mm fans: here and here.

As there is no fan controller on the PC-V650, fan speed would be by changing the voltage via either the BIOS or software that comes on your motherboard.
                      Last edited by Lian Li Tech; 01-01-2014, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
                        Hi Brutalizer,

If you are looking to replace the fans, there is an two excellent roundups here on silentpcreview for 140mm fans: here and here.

As there is no fan controller on the PC-V650, fan speed would be by changing the voltage via either the BIOS or software that comes on your motherboard.
                        Thanks for your help. I bought the Corsair AIR TF140, but they are really loud. Maybe my mobo powers the fan too much, I should decrease the power to the fans so I can lower the RPM. I would prefer some manual regulator instead of software based, because I will run Unix operating system, and the software is most probably for Windows, not Unix. If you know of an elegant manual regulator, then please tell me.

Comment

Working...
                        X