Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lian Li PC7FW Side panel screws need re-threading

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to re-tap my case as the side panel screws are now threaded and I cannot screw the side panel tight
    What size screws are they and how can I remedy this?

Regards

Clarky_1969uk1

Re: Lian Li PC7FW Side panel screws need re-threading

The screws we use for those side panels are M3*6L. They can be found through a quick google search. Here is one on Amazon.

Are you able to remove the stripped screw? If not this webpage offers several methods for removal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
      The screws we use for those side panels are M3*6L. They can be found through a quick google search. Here is one on Amazon.

Are you able to remove the stripped screw? If not this webpage offers several methods for removal.
      Hi,

Thanks for your reply

you misunderstood me, sorry for not being clear - they are not the screws I meant
      The side window panel thumbscrews (aluminium type) do not tighten up the panel anymore
      Am I able to re-tap the orignial hole back to the same size as the thread no longer works to tighten them?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by clarky_1969uk1 View Post
        Hi,

Thanks for your reply

you misunderstood me, sorry for not being clear - they are not the screws I meant
        The side window panel thumbscrews (aluminium type) do not tighten up the panel anymore
        Am I able to re-tap the orignial hole back to the same size as the thread no longer works to tighten them?

Peter
        Most likely not, since once the threads are stripped, the screw hole is already larger than it was originally. Re-tapping stripped threads always means going to a larger thread size, particularly with aluminum, as used in Lian Li cases.

Comment

clarky_1969uk1,

What parsec said is correct. :(

Let me see if I can find a solution for you.

Comment

The following might work:
            Amazon.com: Computer Case Thumbscrews - Black (10pack), 6-32 Thread Type: Computers & Accessories --> 6-32 Thread Type

From Unified Thread Standard - Wikipedia a #6 thread has a diameter = 0.1380" or 3.5052mm.
            Instead of buying a #6 tap with the appropriate thread pitch, you might be able to use a self tapping screw with a socket to create the new threads.

My preference would be to buy the tap and handle.

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
            X