Cores mostly never used 100%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cores mostly never used 100%?

So, I just recently got a Z790 UD (which has a coil-whine issue that's unresolved so far, but that's a different point).

I'm currently testing the heck out of everything and came across something that is pretty weird:
    pretty much only some software (Prim95 or Linpack) run the cores at 100%; with or without AVX.

But when I do a more realworld test like with 7zip, it uses:
    • single thread: 72% (should be 100%)
    • all threads: 1815% (should be 2400%)
    I'm always running HwInfo64 besides and it's not running in any Voltage or Power or Temp limit!
    I mean, don't get me wrong, the CPU is still very fast (faster then my previous 3900X), but it's not using the processor to its full extent.

Why is that?
    Also: if using singlecore tasks, it never uses just one core:
    • for instance, if I benchmark with 1 Thread in 7zip, about two cores get used. One about 40, the other about 30% (it's very dynamic!)
    Really weird behavior... and this is on a fresh Win11x64 install fully updated and newest Intel drivers.

Any idea what the problem might be? Or is this expacted behaviour? (though, why would that be...) Any Bios setting I overlooked?

Thanks and cheers!

PS: I didn't have that problem with my 3900X "as much"; 1 thread was 100% and 24 threads were 2288%
Working...
X