Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I re-flash corrupted BIOS, without working USB ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I re-flash corrupted BIOS, without working USB ports?

A few Months ago I upgraded my BIOS to X79UD5.14e using the DOS Flash utility on a USB flashdrive.
    It work great at first, but then recently a strange thing happened.
    I booted the computer and got the BIOS f12 splash screen, then it rebooted again and had no splash screen. When I booted the computer, it was sluggish, and after a while crashed. This happened repeatedly in Both Linux and MacOS.

When I hit went into BIOS settings, I got the only following BIOS screen with no other screens available:

Problems:
    - I Can't access any setting not on this screen
    - Q-Flash isn't working
    - All USB ports don't work until the OS loads, so I can't flash the BIOS from USB.
    - I don't have a CD/DVD Drive that is working.
    - I don't have MS Windows, so I can't use @BIOS
    - Ubuntu and MacOS Boot from internal SATA drive, but I don't know of a BIOS flashing utility

How do I get my system running normally again?

Whats your mobo model ? You have Q-FLASH PLUS ? if you have you can flash bios without booting ( without CPU or RAM even)

Comment

Originally posted by kyuzo View Post
      Whats your mobo model ?
      Originally posted by DoubleClicker View Post
      A few Months ago I upgraded my BIOS to X79UD5.14e
      Gigabyte BIOS naming conventions, that would be the GA-X79-UD5 motherboard, BIOS version 14e

You have Q-FLASH PLUS ? if you have you can flash bios without booting ( without CPU or RAM even)
      - Q-Flash isn't working
      - All USB ports don't work until the OS loads, so I can't flash the BIOS from USB.
      So no, using Q flash isn't an option

Comment

What do you mean Q-Flash isn't working ? - It is not working because you don't have Q-Flash.

You have DUAL bios on that mobo , so there is no way to brick it with bad bios flash. Use second BIOS.

Comment

What do you mean Q-Flash isn't working ?
          If I hit the <End> key during the POST or pressing the <F8> key in BIOS setup menu, nothing happens.
          You have DUAL bios on that mobo , so there is no way to brick it with bad bios flash. Use second BIOS.
          I didn't brick it with bad bios flash.
          A few Months ago I upgraded my BIOS to X79UD5.14e using the DOS Flash utility on a USB flashdrive.
          It work great at first, but then recently a strange thing happened.
          I booted the computer and got the BIOS f12 splash screen, then it rebooted again and had no splash screen. When I booted the computer, it was sluggish, and after a while crashed. This happened repeatedly in Both Linux and MacOS.
          When the problem occurred, it corrupted both the main and backup BOIS, I don't know if the BIOS was clean or had malicious code but I downloaded it from here.

Comment

Working...
          X