GA-Z170X Gaming 7 Hangs On Postcode 6F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z170X Gaming 7 Hangs On Postcode 6F

New user here, and bewildered. Kind of a x-post from Tom's Hdwe, but updated and more specific. I think.
    System built in early 2017, worked well in graphics and 2nd Life environment. (Specs follow.) It hangs up now and won't boot. I can't bring up the BIOS. The monitor tells me that it is not receiving a signal. I humbly ask for help.

Yesterday, accompanied by nasty shouting, my daughter reported that her computer had refused to boot up.
    (1) Smell of salt water. (But my daughter's room resembles a swamp in a room full of cats, so . . . Her software and file management also resemble a swamp. )
    (2) Lingering ozone smell.
    (3) Backlit keyboard and mouse flash/flicker.
    (4) No display on LCD monitor.

Attempts to diagnose over the space of several hours:
    (5) Reviewed codes in the Gigabyte manual in PDF.
    (6) Inspection shows no obvious sources of ozone, e.g., burned connections. (This happened on another computer when a pwr supply fried a CD drive.)
    (7) Multiple attempts to reboot show F6 post code. (Not calling that an error code because Gigabyte's 2016 and later guidance says F6 is "reserved," and F6 seems to indicate that the BIOS is checking the status of memory.)
    (8) Internet searches show others have had the F6 issue, some with other stuff. Some solutions involve bad RAM sticks. I turn off, unplug, remove battery, discharge, remove the RAM and try to reboot with one stick, then both but in different positions. One stick failed a 55 code (I think) one time. Changing slots has no effect. Slots cleared with canned air.
    (9) I reset the CMOS and the BIOS using the buttons on the upper right of the motherboard. No effect. (But did not hold down for 3 to 5 seconds.)
    (10) I relocated the graphics card to the next lowest slot. No effect.

Usage had been 18 to 24 hours daily in dusty indoor conditions since it was built. Apart from some power-down looping 2 years ago, nothing serious has gone wrong until now.

Weird, possibly unrelated "features." One of the motherboard's network cable plugs has always been dead. Sound quit working (except earphones) about 6 months ago, but this could be from daughter's messing up settings. Wake-on-mouse/keyboard movement may have reactivated spontaneously ~6 weeks ago, according to daughter. (Triggered by a kitten.)

Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 motherboard.I/I/ G8A098 00445
    Purchased Feb 2017.
    BIOS is the original, whatever it came with.
    RAID 1 (unless I bollixed that up when/if I reset the BIOS).
    EVGA Supernova 1000 P2 power supply.
    2 x Western Digital 2 tb hard drives, can't find exact model numbers right now.
    Intel I7-6700, serial no. 06YY814300938, S-Spec SR2L2
    2 x 8 gb Crucial Ballistix X Sport RAM (DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 DIMM BLS2K8G4D240FSA) [These are OK according to the Gigabyte manual, IIRC]
    Corsair Hydro series H100 liquid CPU cooler. (Are these known problems? Per [1] the salt water smell.)
    EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 graphics card.
    Originally Win 7, now Win 10 Home 64 bit. Installed per Microsoft instructions replacing Win 7.
    Pixio PX 247 monitor, connected to DP Port on graphics card with DP cable.
    Wacom One tablet, don't know the model number. Uses a different DP Port on graphics card, connects via an adapter to Wacom's HDMI cable.
    Matching Red Dragon gaming mouse & keyboard (different kbd had no effect, as expected)
    Bitdefender antivirus.

Many thanks from the SW Desert of the USA.

I couldn't figure out howto edit my post, so I need to reply to myself. The postcode is probably bF. I figured that out while watching it not boot up this morning after replacing the CMOS battery. Still, the Gigabyte literature isn't helpful.

Comment

Working...
    X