Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X - No boot and/or bios problem

Hello.
    I just purchased this motherboard along with an i5-10600k and 32gb corsair 2666 mhz
    On the first restarts (after windows install and drivers) everything seemed to work fine. Then I started to hear a “coil whine”, coming and going, sometimes pulsating. I excluded the other components, testing them on my other pc. On the next restart, the system won't boot and all the fans were at maximum speed. All the red led-s on the motherboard were lit. I updated the bios. I noticed that the board came with F2 bios, but on the website I can see only F4 or above (early production motherboard?) The coil whine went away for 20 minutes but reappeared. After the next restart the same thing happened (no boot, fans at maximum) but only the ram led was lit. I reseated and swapped the slots. It booted. Next restart, the same thing, now only the cpu led was lit. Reseated the cpu, reapplied thermal paste. Same thing, it boots correctly once, the next boot the problem reappears. Tried resetting the bios. No go. I will try the qflash plus but the instructions are very confusing (rename folder or just the bios file to *.bin / with or without components attached) . What should I do next ? The warranty procedure takes weeks and I cannot return it because it was bought by the company I work for. Thank you.

Update : I downgraded to F4 bios. No improvement. I've narrowed it down to the graphics card, an Asus Strix GTX960 2gb. That card works flawlessly in another system. In this new system, on every cold boot, the fans spin at maximum, and no signal on screen. Reseating it makes everything work until the next cold boot. I will try with a newer graphics card. If it makes no difference, that means that the pci express slot is faulty ?

Comment

Newer systems are like this, i had a similar issue trying to use a Radeon 7770 on X570 and Z490. you just need a more modern GPU.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I tried a new Gtx 1060. Seemed to work well but after 4-5 cold boots it wont boot, and all the fans ramp up. Also i can hear 5 short beeps.

Comment

You have new BIOS F5d posted today in sticky thread.
          5 short beeps.....take care maybe your BIOS chip getting spoil.
          Load optimized defaults and try clear CMOS.

Comment

I read somewhere on the forum that 5 beeps mean "bios real time clock failure" . I replaced the battery hoping for an easy fix. No change. In the end I contacted Esupport and they advised that I should send it for diagnosing. I did that 3 days ago. If they issue a refund I will not buy the same board, the whole lot may have the same problems. I'm thinking to change it for a Z490 Elite. The pc I was building is meant for time critical audio processing so I am not taking any chances.

Comment

Ahh...OK.

Comment

Thanks for your effort anyways. I will post updates. From your experience, what z490 gigabyte board has the most stable bios so far ?

Comment

Is hard to say....Master...Elite....Ultra...

Comment

Hello again. The board took 6 weeks to come back to me from the Poland service headquarters. It was the same board with nothing done to it (just a bios update as I later found out), and no mentioning whatsoever on the service sheet. It was the end of september and I could not test it since I was in the middle of some projects. Last week I began to test it, only to find out that the same problem occures, with some intermitence. I did a bios update , F6D, and now the problems are present at every cold boot.....Every time I start the computer from cold (restart is fine), I have no post, all the fans are spinning at maximum, and the CPU led is lit. Every time. Did everything I could , resitting memory, gpu. After swapping memory slots and gpu, It works, but just once. If I shutdown and after that I press power, I'm back to square one. What else can I do ? Thanks.

Comment

Update : I found out that altough the gpu works fine with three monitors on my old system (One Dvi monitor, One Hdmi and One DP), on this newer one, if I connect the DP one, the system wont post. If I disconnect the DisplayPort monitor and leave the DVi and the HDMI ones connected, the system posts and boots immediately. The DisplayPort monitor is working fine on the old system. What could be causing this ?
                      P.S. I can hear a noticeable coil whine near the CPU, but only when the bios is at default settings, it can take 3-4 minutes until the sound becomes noticeable. If I make all the required settings (xmp, sata etc) the coil whine goes away.

Comment

Using latest BIOS F6d ?

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
                          Using latest BIOS F6d ?
                          Yes. F6d. If I remember correctly the board came back from the warranty with F5d, and the problems were less frequent. With F6d, to make it relatively stable (and no dp port connected on the gpu) I had to manually set ram voltages and frequency (the frequency shown in the bios was jumping 2-3 mhz up and down if I let the xmp on auto), and, weirdly enough, disconnect the two 120mm fans connected to the motherboard, because in the bios, it showed that they were spinning at 18k rpm - 20- 22k rpm - 0 rpm, instead of the real 700 rpm .

Comment

Working...
                          X