No announcement yet.

Z87-HD3 problem with two pairs of RAM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87-HD3 problem with two pairs of RAM.

Hi,

So after a few years, I decided to add some RAM to my machine. It's a GA-Z87-HD3 board, and has been happily rolling along with 2x4GB of Corsair Venegeance LP (1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v).

So I bought 2x8GB VengeanceLP at the same spec to bump me up to 24GB. But it won't boot with both pairs in. Here's the info:

- When I try to boot with all four sticks in on the board with F8 BIOS, I get repeated short beeps ('incorrect memory installation')
    - On the F6 firmware I got one short beep before rebooting, repeated in a loop

- Each stick has been tested to boot individually, and they all work.
    - Each slot has been tested to boot individially ,and they all work.
    - I have tried 3 slots, same result as 4
    - I have loaded Optimised defaults in BIOS
    - I have tried booting into BIOS with a single pair, changing to an XMP profile, and installing the other pair aswell. No boot.
    - All the details of voltage, timing etc in the BIOS show as correct with each pair

Some googling leads me to believe that Some Gigabyte boards simply can't handle the advertised amount of RAM, and I could be stuck needing a different board. Can anyone give me any other advice please?

Thank you!

Re: Z87-HD3 problem with two pairs of RAM.

Am I right in thinking that these boards were just duds, and I'm unlucky to find it out this late in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by schmojo View Post
      Am I right in thinking that these boards were just duds, and I'm unlucky to find it out this late in the game?
      probably...

Comment

Just to update:

After GA tech support suggested that I shouldn't expect compatibility between 8GB and 16GB 1600Mhz VengeanceLP sticks, I borrowed a second pair of the 8s.

Still didn't work, and that's where we ended up.

Tech Support went through every hoop to not offer any tech solutions, presumably because they knew the answer: this era of GA boards have a widespread fault. I just didn't do my research at the time, and waited too late to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
        X