Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI with E5-1680 V2

Hi everyone

My GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI can't support E5-1680 V2 CPU, even I updated F5f modded BIOS or F5g(Beta BIOS from Gigabytes official support).

The situation is power on and it auto reboot continuously without any screen, can't entering BIOS.

Did any one have idea for this?

Re: GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI with E5-1680 V2

Hello.

I'm new here but I had the same problem.

Please check your motherboard version. I'm suspecting yours is version 1.0.

The difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is the Xeon v2 support. It's a physical electrical difference and no ammount of BIOS modification can fix it.

Please refer to gigabyte's CPU support list for your motherboard. Xeon 1680v2 isn't listed on the x79-UP5 v1.1 page, but other xeon v2's are - so it could work.

Most boards from other brands support xeon v2's but it's always good to check beforehand.

Greetings.

Comment

Hello.

Which revision is your motherboard? I'm suspecting it ver. 1.0 and as such does not support Xeon v2 gen. It's an electrical difference.

Comment

Hi

You are right, my MB is Ver 1.0 and this Ver.10 GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI MB is Gigabyte RMA product, my original MB is Assassin 2.

I'm wondering what the physical electrical difference is, could you teach me pls.

Originally posted by pawx View Post
        Hello.

Which revision is your motherboard? I'm suspecting it ver. 1.0 and as such does not support Xeon v2 gen. It's an electrical difference.

Comment

Hi

You are right, my MB REV is 1.0 not 1.1.

Actually this REV 1.0 X79S MB is RMA product, Gigabyte change my X79 Assassin 2 MB to X79S V1.0.

Could you teach me what the difference of physical electrical, thanks.

Hello.

Comment

Lots of people in this "boat". We assume the difference is at least in the PWM controlers/drivers used between different board revisions. It could just be a different firmware on the controllers or a different voltage regulation standard used.

I asked Gigabyte tech support about this and they just told me it does not support my processor. Nobody wishes to give out any details. There were lots of changes when x79 came out and everyone found their way to make it work.

To me its funny how i7 Ivy's work and Ivy Xeons don't but there is nothing we can do beside a board swap. Some asus boards have support, some asrocks and gigabyte v1.1, etc. ... is it worth it though?

Greetings.

Comment

Since this design issue I'll not buy any Gigabyte product ever.

Gigabyte is gabi!! Go buy ASUS / Asrock / MSI

Lots of people in this "boat". We assume the difference is at least in the PWM controlers/drivers used between different board revisions. It could just be a different firmware on the controllers or a different voltage regulation standard used.

I asked Gigabyte tech support about this and they just told me it does not support my processor. Nobody wishes to give out any details. There were lots of changes when x79 came out and everyone found their way to make it work.

To me its funny how i7 Ivy's work and Ivy Xeons don't but there is nothing we can do beside a board swap. Some asus boards have support, some asrocks and gigabyte v1.1, etc. ... is it worth it though?

Greetings.

Comment

Since yours was a RMA, maybe you can get a different board? X79-UP4 1.1 are more common, though your g1. assassin 2 didn't have this CPU support either.

Good luck.

Comment

Actually I don't know that X79S 1.0 & G1.Assassin 2 doesn't support the V2 CPU, I thought that just upgrade BIOS can solve this problem.

And I flash my X79X 1.0 board to F5f( X79S board 1.1 BIOS) and it work fine on my 3820 without any issues.

I remeber that Gigabyte had one serious problem on their X79 board, a TW user using the board to OC & burn-in and the MOSFET burn out sudenlly.

[12/23最後更新]好樣的技嘉X79-UD3,板子做到會起火這是啥情形!?-Gigabyte,X79-UD3,Gigabyte,X79-UD3,冒煙,地雷 -

Since yours was a RMA, maybe you can get a different board? X79-UP4 1.1 are more common, though your g1. assassin 2 didn't have this CPU support either.

Good luck.

Comment

I solved my problem by selling xeon 1650v2 and getting a xeon 1650(v1) and it works great overclocked.

Neither of those two motherboards support xeon v2 in their first revision unfortunately.

And about the frying motherboard... this was gigabytes first attempt at the digital pwms and it took only a BIOS patch to fix it. IIRC everybody had problems with those first x79 BIOS. Bad part on GB for those MBs, but they did fix it in the new revisions.

The way I look at this is. This whole x79 platform is a great thing if you need lots of PCIE lanes. I do and even managed to get bifurcation working with help of some forum members. Otherwise an OC'd 1650v2 is roughly Ryzen 1600AF - and this one uses half the power :D.

I hope you find a solution, otherwise you can still sell and buy something newer.

Greetings.

Comment

Working...
                    X