Clear All

• Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 PCIE slot problem

Currently my system is running as follows:

Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
    Intel i5-4960K
    EVGA DDR3 32GB (4x8GB)
    Samsung SSD (boot drive)
    Sapphire Dual-X r9-270X (in x8 slot)

System has been having some weird graphic lag lately so i decided to upgrade my graphics card to a Power Color Red Devil RX590 8GB. I installed the RX590 into the x16 slot (since that is what is required per manufacturer) and on boot i got error beeps (1 long - 2 short). Per what I've found online that should indicate a memory error which is weird since i didn't have any errors or issues prior. I pull out the RX590 and install the 270X into the x16 slot, boot up and get the same error beeps. I reinstall the 270x into the x8 slot and the system boots up fine. Unfortunately i can't test the RX590 in the x8 slot due to it requiring a x16 slot and there's not enough room in the case (microATX) to fit it into the x8 slot anyway.

I am not sure why the 270x was originally installed in the x8 slot since a friend of mine built it for me but i need some thoughts here on this problem. Sadly I am worried that the x16 slot is hosed but am not sure what i should do to further test it at this point.

Are there any diagnostic programs out there that would be able to test the PCIEx16 slot on a Gigabyte motherboard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 PCIE slot problem

It was in the x8 slot most likely because it did not work in the x16 slot.

It might be the slot it might be compatibility issue, maybe bent cpu socket pins.

The only way I know to check a pcie slot is to put a card in it and see if it works.
    The rx590 does not need x16 slot more than the r9 270x does, it should work just fine @x8, but it may have compatibility issue as well being released 4 years after the board.

Comment

Working...
    X