Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B360-HD3 won't power down after Win10

Hi,

I bought a new system about a year ago and haven't had any problems until Windows pretty much forced me to update to 1903 a couple of days ago. Since the update I've noticed a couple of issues which may or may not be related:

1) System now won't power down. It appears to shut down, but then a second or so later, later all the fans start spinning at high speeds and the CD drive can still be ejected. No video output though and front power lights on case are off. If I power off at the wall and then back on again, fans start spinning immediately, but no boot until I press the power on button.

2) If I power off at the wall and then back on again, the BIOS resets. Battery seems fine and system time is preserved, just the settings are lost/reset to defaults. This may have been going on a while, but I haven't noticed anything so I assume it started the same time as issue (1), i.e. after Window updated.

Surely Windows updates can't have broken the BIOS, but the timing is too coincidental to ignore. I've tried disabling all the power settings in Windows (hibernate, fast startup, e.t.c.) and have updated all drivers I can find, but no difference. A search suggest that the main BIOS may be corrupt and the lost settings are due to the backup kicking in? The settings are preserved as long as I don't cut power at the wall.

Any ideas?

B360-HD3
    i5 8400
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Win10

Cheers.

Re: B360-HD3 won't power down after Win10

Are you sure time is preserved, even if you just enter BIOS?

Would it wake up if the network cable is disconnected?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      Are you sure time is preserved, even if you just enter BIOS?

Would it wake up if the network cable is disconnected?
      I noticed this morning that the time had actually frozen overnight whilst the box was unplugged. Windows showed the time as still being the shutdown time from last night.

I tried unplugging the network cable before shutdown, but it still exhibited the same behaviour. It sounds like it's shutdown, but then a few seconds later the fans all spin up again and stay on. They remain spinning fairly fast until I press the power button to boot, then once Windows boot hits a certain point, they all quiet down to normal low load operating speeds.

Comment

And if you shut down when in BIOS with power button (after windows shutdown) would it wake up too?

Try to take the battery out during night and short the CLR_CMOS pins, just to make sure CMOS is properly cleared.
        Last edited by Chike; 09-05-2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

And if you shut down when in BIOS with power button (after windows shutdown) would it wake up too?

Try to take the battery out during night and short the CLR_CMOS pins, just to make sure CMOS is properly cleared.
          Yes, same behaviour. Goes dead for a second as you'd expect, then fans and internal LEDs come back on and it just sits like that indefinitely until either I cut the power at the PSU, or press the power on button, at which point it boots normally. Could it be a PSU issue? Supplying current when it should be off? I only have an old 300W PSU that I could try as a replacement, and it only has a 4 pin CPU connector, not 8, so not sure if that would work? I'll try the battery thing tonight.

Comment

I don't think it's the PSU, it should never wake the computer anyway.
            4-pin CPU is just fine, it can deliver around 150W far more than the 8400 needs.
            The GTX 1060 recommends 400W PSU but the card itself is only 120W.

How about sleep, would it wake up too?

Comment

I don't think it's the PSU, it should never wake the computer anyway.
              4-pin CPU is just fine, it can deliver around 150W far more than the 8400 needs.
              The GTX 1060 recommends 400W PSU but the card itself is only 120W.

How about sleep, would it wake up too?
              The spare PSU doesn't have a GPU connector, so I'd have to use internal graphics to test if I wanted to boot. I was just planning on plugging it into the motherboard and seeing the if it starts the fans when I plug it in, as per the current behaviour. I figured if it didn't then that would point to a PSU issue.

I re-enabled hibernation from Windows and tried it out and the behaviour is the same as shutdown. Everything switches off, then fans come back on a second later and stay on. Only difference with hibernate was that I could trigger startup from keyboard/mouse rather than having to use the power button.

Comment

Hibernation is like shutdown with windows state saved to disk, I asked about sleep because it may reveal what caused the wakeup, though I am guessing it will be power button or equivalent.

Try to reset BIOS then boot load defaults, save and reboot to BIOS again and power of with the button again. This to see if it has anything to do with windows or is it just a hardware issue that just coincidentally raised windows was updated.

Comment

Hibernation is like shutdown with windows state saved to disk, I asked about sleep because it may reveal what caused the wakeup, though I am guessing it will be power button or equivalent.

Try to reset BIOS then boot load defaults, save and reboot to BIOS again and power of with the button again. This to see if it has anything to do with windows or is it just a hardware issue that just coincidentally raised windows was updated.
                  Last night I unplugged, removed the battery, and cleared the CMOS. This morning I replaced the battery and followed your steps and the issue still occurred. I then completely disconnected the PSU from the PC and plugged it in to the wall. It switched on briefly whenever I switch the plug on, which seems suspicious. I tried my old 300W PSU in the PC and the fans no longer switch on as soon as it's plugged in. The old PSU doesn't have enough connectors to power my GFX card, hard drives, e.t.c. so I didn't try a boot, but this seems to suggest that the original PSU is the issue? I switched back and sure enough, as soon as power is fed to my normal PSU, the fans on the motherboard start up again. Is it worth me buying a cheap 500W PSU to properly test the theory? (I'm guessing a spare PSU is a useful thing to have around anyway + it would let me continue to use my PC while I return the original for a replacement, it's only a year old and I think still covered by warranty). Not sure if a didgy PSU would explain why my BIOS keeps losing settings when I unplug though?

Comment

Originally posted by Fiji View Post
                    Is it worth me buying a cheap 500W PSU to properly test the theory? (I'm guessing a spare PSU is a useful thing to have around anyway + it would let me continue to use my PC while I return the original for a replacement, it's only a year old and I think still covered by warranty)
                    When I'll face such a dilemma I'll have to think about it.
                    Maybe you want 650W that will suite future possible upgrades, like GPU or even motherboard/PSU.

Not sure if a didgy PSU would explain why my BIOS keeps losing settings when I unplug though?
                    Maybe the battery does not charge?
                    Grab HWiNFO and see what VBAT sensor show.
                    Last edited by Chike; 09-07-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

When I'll face such a dilemma I'll have to think about it.
                      Maybe you want 650W that will suite future possible upgrades, like GPU or even motherboard/PSU.
                      I picked up a cheap £30 500W PSU from Amazon to test and (fingers crossed) it appears to have fixed all the issues. Shut downs fine now and BIOS setting are preserved even when unplugged. I'm guessing the PSU was always supplying current for some reason which was spinning the fans, e.t.c., and causing the BIOS to flag an error which led to it restoring from the backup BIOS. Just a guess though. Thanks for all your help :)

Comment

Working...
                      X