GA-Z87X-UD5H and PCIe Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z87X-UD5H and PCIe Compatibility

Can the SSD on PCIe cards such as M.2 etc be used in the GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard?
    Limitations? [boot-up?] other PCIe cards at same time.
    Please point me to explanations of [limitations such as use with other SSD in SATA slots]-if only some PCIe SSD can be used on this Gigabyte board.
    A good article about compatibility of this type of SSD would be great.
    Does the operation system running matter if the SDD that goes into PCIe slots? Or is it ONLY hardware dependent?

I have seen mention of adapters. It appears to me that the PCIe cards fit into the PCIe slots. Why are adapters required for some motherboards? Would I need adapters for my Gigabyte motherboard?
    I have several SATA [6GB] SSDs but the speeds listed for the PCIe SSDs seems worthwhile upgrade if there are not any associated killer negatives with these types of storage.
    I see ads for 1TB M.2 Intel SSDs for less than $100 USD. Sounds good. Is it?

I run a mix of apps. Little or no video editing. Mostly web browsing, playing videos, Photoshop creation of graphics and improvement of photographs for printing as 11x 14". Windows 10 and Mac OSX High Sierra Hackintosh. I use the motherboards video. No gaming.
    Ga-Z87X-UD5H, i7-4770K, built in video 16GB RAM, 2100 speed, Auria 27 inch monitor Hackintosh implementation of OSX 10.11 Sound used USB adapter[internal sound doesn't work! Ga-P55a-UD3 i5-560 8GB RAM, r 5770 video, Dell Ultra Monitor, BPN DE110SS Hard Drive Cage, SSD Samsung 840, 500Gb + HDD Windows 10 --P55a is connected to Comcast Router and to WiFi service from another provider[preferred]
    z87x is connected to Comcast router only --Canon pixma MX922 Canon Laser

Re: GA-Z87X-UD5H and PCIe Compatibility

It seems latest beta BIOS does support NVMe devices so you be in luck.

I had no problem installing the PM981 on my board, it also does not require any special drivers it works with windows NVMe drivers.

You need a M2 to PCIe adapter if you use M.2 PCIe SSD, but you can find NVMe drives that come as add-on card. You can find the on eBay for around 2 dollars.
    About $100 1TB drives I don't know, what make are they? It's not something you want to fail.

I don't think you will see any significant difference using NVMe drive, perhaps few seconds faster boot time.

Comment

Re: GA-Z87X-UD5H and PCIe Compatibility SOLVED THANKS

Originally posted by chike View Post
      it seems latest beta bios does support nvme devices so you be in luck.

I had no problem installing the pm981 on my board, it also does not require any special drivers it works with windows nvme drivers.

You need a m2 to pcie adapter if you use m.2 pcie ssd, but you can find nvme drives that come as add-on card. You can find the on ebay for around 2 dollars.
      About $100 1tb drives i don't know, what make are they? It's not something you want to fail.

I don't think you will see any significant difference using nvme drive, perhaps few seconds faster boot time.
      -------------------
      thanks very much for the detailed reply.
      Ga-Z87X-UD5H, i7-4770K, built in video 16GB RAM, 2100 speed, Auria 27 inch monitor Hackintosh implementation of OSX 10.11 Sound used USB adapter[internal sound doesn't work! Ga-P55a-UD3 i5-560 8GB RAM, r 5770 video, Dell Ultra Monitor, BPN DE110SS Hard Drive Cage, SSD Samsung 840, 500Gb + HDD Windows 10 --P55a is connected to Comcast Router and to WiFi service from another provider[preferred]
      z87x is connected to Comcast router only --Canon pixma MX922 Canon Laser

Comment

Working...
      X