Clear All

• Problem with AORUS RGB AIC NVMe SSD 512GB and GPU

MOBO: Aorus x399 Extreme (F5g BIOS)
    CPU: AMD 2950X
    RAM: 32 GB Aorus RGB
    GPU: EVGA 1080ti in SLI
    Storage: 3x Samsung 970 NVME
    Power Supply: Corsair AX1200

So what's happening is that I'm trying to install the Aorus RGB AIC NVME SSD card that was recently released. I have my two video cards running in SLI with no problem, latest NVIDIA drivers installed. One card is in PCIe x16 slot 1 and the other is in slot 3, as recommended in the motherboard documentation. I'm installing the new NVME in slot 2, should be x8. Upon doing so and booting the system I get a message in the device manager that there is a problem with the bottom gpu and it has been stopped [Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43], and SLI is disabled at this point as well of course. The NVME SSD is installed and recognized, running with no issue. I've reinstalled both my graphics cards and the SSD several times and it always comes back to detecting a problem.

Things I have tried:
    Moved card to very bottom x8 slot on motherboard - this actually will disable the other gpu instead.
    Flashed to newest BIOS
    Changed PCIe settings in BIOS from Auto to Gen 3
    Changed PCIe settings from x8 to x4 + x4
    Changed PCIe settings from x16 to x8 + x8
    Reinstalled NVIDIA graphics drivers
    Installed NVME specific drivers

I consider myself fairly tech savvy and have been building custom PCs for years, but this one has me stumped. It was suggested in a Facebook group that I may have maxed out the number of PCIe lanes, but since this board supports 4x SLI and would use the same number of lanes in that configuration that I am attempting to use, I don't see how that could be possible. Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Problem with AORUS RGB AIC NVMe SSD 512GB and GPU

Click image for larger version

Name:	response.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	755246

I believe I found the problem. The drive is not detected correctly, and is showing up as a RAID SCSI device instead. Now....how do I correct that...?

Comment

Not necessarily, which storage controller is it using?
      had my PM981 showing as SCSI in windows 7.
      Try to see wih CrystalDiskInfo or HWINFO

Looks to me more like conflict between resources.
      EDIT: check even log if you can see there anything
      Last edited by Chike; 06-14-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

CrystalDiskInfo actually doesn't detect the drive at all, see the screenshot below. I have it formatted and setup as A: (Gaming 3) within Windows. Unfortunately I don't really understand what this means, or where to go from here.

Name:	diskinfo.jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	755247

Comment

That is the first drive CrystalDiskMark finds, click the "play" button to show the next drive and so on

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	755248

Also What storage controllers installed? (down in device manager)

BTW how hot those 970 Evo get?

Comment

Pressing the play button only cycles through the drives you can see listed, it never moves over to show any additional drives.
            List of storage controllers is in the screenshot. Second shot below is from WWiNFO.
            Gigabyte sent me a new BIOS version to try, F5i, but it didn't resolve the issue.

I'm not really sure how hot the drives get, never paid any attention, lol. I'll see if I can grab a temp after some gaming.

Name:	Storage.JPG
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	755249

Comment

Name:	info.jpg
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	755250

Comment

Did they try it with 2 grapic cards n the x16 PCIe slots, preferably the same cards?
                Make sure they understand the actual problem.
                At what configuration the SSD works? Are they any RAID setting in BIOS?

Comment

They did, as I reported the problem as the AIC screwing with my SLI configuration that was the first thing they attempted to replicate was just the AIC and SLI.

I'm trying, but honestly I'm not sure what the actual problem is. I know the symptoms and keep reporting back what happens when they have me try different things, but nothing has fixed the issue.

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                  At what configuration the SSD works?
                  Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this.
                  There are RAID settings in the BIOS, although very limited, and they are all disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by wmarples View Post
                    The NVME SSD is installed and recognized, running with no issue.
                    If it's working, then it will show in HWiNFO and CrystalDiskInfo, what do you see there?

If all RAID options are disabled why is it recognized as AMD-RAID? Try to remove the drver, then remove the the second GPU, reset BOIS laod defaults and reboot see if it finds the right driver.

Comment

Yeah, I should have specified that it's working within Windows. I can read and write to the drive and Windows doesn't have a problem with it.
                      Just what I posted in the screenshots already. If there is something else that the programs can display that I'm missing let me know and I'll post it up.
                      That's the big question I have, and so far Gigabyte support keeps skipping over it and having me try different things. In their test bench it was recognized completely differently, no mention of AMD-RAID in the device description.

Let me try what you suggested and I'll report back.

Comment

Yes but the screen shots did not show the information about the drive itself or PCI bus like so:

Name:	pci-info.PNG
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	755251

Comment

Got frustrated and installed Windows to the AIC. This fixed all the issues for a few days.

Tonight I removed the 250gb m.2 drive, and suddenly the SLI issue returned. Removing all the m.2 drives is the only way I've found to now get SLI functional. Installing a 500gb m.2 in the top slot of the motherboard results in Windows device manager detecting and labeling it as 250gb. I'm starting to think that Windows doesn't like it when you change m.2 configurations after installing Windows. I'm seriously dumbfounded by how removing hardware would cause a problem.

Comment

Windows does not even know if t's an M.2 drive, it's just another PCIe or SATA device.
                            Try to reset CMOS or load defaults see if it detects it correctly.

Comment

Have a new 500gb drive coming at the end of the week to replace the 250gb. Will try a reset when it arrives. I suspect I'll be reinstalling Windows again in order to get everything functional, just wish I knew why.

Comment

Working...
                              X