X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard just wants to .....

I wrote this post a few weeks ago....

Hey all this is my First Post !!!

So, I got my full ATX tower with Gigabyte Ga-78MLT USB R2 (Rev 1.0) motherboard - no updates for the bios on this board at the time of writing.
    There are no mounting / spacer posts left where they should not be, so no shorts! I even put fibre washers on every screw incase this was the problem.
    There's 3 SSHDDs installed with 16GB ram and a AMD Radeon HD5450 card for graphics - hey I am not game playing, just a nice quick machine for 'getting about'!

I got a fresh Windows 10 64bit and everything's going so sweet - until I shutdown...

Most already know that most boards now allow 'Hibernation / Sleep / Deep Sleep' - Basically, they don't fully shut down as windows 8 upwards wants to give you fast starts from the Kernel'y saved imagery and to keep images of all open apps so your ready to go, quicker starting than ever - all makes sense so far...

But, as my computer is tucked away inside a locked wooden cabinet for most of the week, I just can rest knowing that power is still getting to the board - even though the computer is shut down. Even when it is off, the processor fan still spins slowly, so slow you can not even hear it. If you remove the rear power cable and reinsert, the fans will stop on removal and start on replacement and in addition, the DVD drive with do the 'cyclic sound' - push the eject and nothing happens - must be small voltage? When windows has booted, the DVD drive has not a thing wrong with it and burns / reads writes etch.

So, ram and drives seem all OK in BIOS & windows environment, as does the graphics card and everything else connected. I even downloaded and ran 'Speccy' and all looks great.

Pulling hair out and loosing 3 nights sleep on this problem, I see options on the boards BIOS to enable only S1 or S3 (both are hibernation modes) - I need G3 = a 'Mechanical Off' - but it is not available in the BIOS settings as an option *The board wants only hibernate and sleep modes when you shut down - "How Daft".

So now I look into Windows 10 for an answer and troll through reams of online documents. I saw some command lines for disabling hibernation mode in windows 10, I try it, I disable hibernation - but that damn fan still goes round and round!

So now another site gives another option to shutdown a computer fully - just hold down the Ctrl key when clicking on Restart or Shutdown - this has got to work ... does it hell !

I took out the graphics card and everything, only the power cable plugged in - and the processor fan goes round AGAIN. I checked my pins switch / hdd led etch - all round the right way OK.

So I have just ordered a new power supply with a 8 pin molex - I had a 4 pin and although there's a 50/50 opinion on fitting a 4 pin in the 8 pin socket on the board (it does fit OK to one end only) - this is the only thing I can think of? I then also see literally 20 minutes ago that the motherboard may not be windows 10 ready? but was sold it on this premise it was OK for 10? and all seem fine apart from this 'Power Trickle' still getting to the board.

So... just a few things checked and done here - I built them years ago and just caught up with the latest tech, but clearly I am still missing something here. If ANYONE CAN HELP ME PLEASE I would be eternally grateful, thanks in anticipation.

THEN AFTER ALL THIS .... I BOUGHT A NEW POWER SUPPLY AND THE PROBLEM IS FIXED !!! Tsssk.... thought i would post this anyway - just incase someone's having similar issues ***ALSO ... the supplied driver disk is no good nor is the Gigabyte official website for the AMD Radeon HD5450 Graphics Card - no support for Win 8 / 8.1 - but there is for 10 and 7 - you work it out? Cheers
    Last edited by StevesHQ; 10-29-2018, 05:19 AM. Reason: typos
Working...
X