Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

    Hey I was just going to buy a regular ssd but i saw there was a possibility to buy a SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB for roughly $207 and its so much faster. But i have a old mobo and i found this thread.


    I saw from this thread gigabyte has released a new bios that included the NVME support?
    Did you see the 2017-11-14 F16j MATS table bios update? * Issue #2 * al3xtjames/coreboot_mainboard_gigabyte_ga-z77x-ud5h * GitHub


    GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global


    ..since i dont have a port for the m.2 nvme drive i would need to buy an adapter right?
    would this one work or is there a better one?
    Amazon.com: Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter (Support M.2 PCIe 2280, 2260, 2242): Computers & Accessories


    my specs
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 40 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 934MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Last edited by CompBear; 01-12-2018, 06:31 PM.

  • #2
    Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

    I have the same motherboard and am wondering if you did get a Samsung Evo 960 M.2 to work with the GA-Z77X-UD5H. How about NVMe support for the f16 bios version?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

      Possibly not. See:Did you see the 2017-11-14 F16j MATS table bios update? * Issue #2 * al3xtjames/coreboot_mainboard_gigabyte_ga-z77x-ud5h * GitHub It is only for OS compatibility.

      See the post on that page from mr-an who commented Feb 16 2018 It seems confusing. I can't find any posts stating working NVME drive in this motherboard.

      That covers separate nvme adapters. I have a GA-Z77X-UD5H with thez77xud5h_mod11_f16 BIOS. I do not plan on msata (on the motherboard) nor NVME. I would think anyone wanting to use NVME would use newer motherboard than the GA-Z77X-UD5H. A reglar SSD is fast enough for and old board like this.
      Last edited by namitutonka; 12-20-2018, 04:56 AM.
      Intel MEInfo Version: 8.1.51.1471
      MEI Driver Version: 9.5.15.1730
      Motherboard: GA-Z77-UD5H rev 1.1
      BIOS: F16 mod11 Tweaktown.com
      CPU: i5-3570K Delidded Stable turbo O.C. to 4.2 GHz
      RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9 @800MHz
      Videocard: AMD Radeon Asus HD 6670 2048MB DDR3
      Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
      OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

        I have a GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard working with a Samsung EVO 960 1 TB NVME SSD as boot drive with Windows 7, 64-bit.

        Originally posted by CompBear View Post
        Hey I was just going to buy a regular ssd but i saw there was a possibility to buy a SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB for roughly $207 and its so much faster. But i have a old mobo and i found this thread.


        I saw from this thread gigabyte has released a new bios that included the NVME support?
        Did you see the 2017-11-14 F16j MATS table bios update? * Issue #2 * al3xtjames/coreboot_mainboard_gigabyte_ga-z77x-ud5h * GitHub


        GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global


        ..since i dont have a port for the m.2 nvme drive i would need to buy an adapter right?
        would this one work or is there a better one?
        Amazon.com: Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter (Support M.2 PCIe 2280, 2260, 2242): Computers & Accessories


        my specs
        Operating System
        Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
        CPU
        Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 40 °C
        Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
        RAM
        16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 934MHz (9-9-9-24)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

          Cool!! What M.2 adapter card did you get and was it difficult to get the drive to work as a boot drive?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

            Originally posted by mr_andersson View Post
            Cool!! What M.2 adapter card did you get and was it difficult to get the drive to work as a boot drive?
            Hello,

            I used a Startech PEXM2SATA32N1 adaptor. I chose this one as the NVME drive sits on top when installed, so better heat dissipation. I didn't bother with the 2X SATA ports. It was very surprising when Windows booted up as I have read that you need a modified BIOS for this, and mine was just the latest F16 BIOS. It seems to use Windows boot manager.
            I've upgraded now to a Z270 board, but I remember it was not difficult to get the Z77 one to boot Windows. There are two places in the BIOS to check: just make sure that in one of them (the one lower down the BIOS screen I think) is set to make the NVME drive first in the boot order!

            Michael

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

              Originally posted by yesnaby View Post
              Hello,

              I used a Startech PEXM2SATA32N1 adaptor. I chose this one as the NVME drive sits on top when installed, so better heat dissipation. I didn't bother with the 2X SATA ports. It was very surprising when Windows booted up as I have read that you need a modified BIOS for this, and mine was just the latest F16 BIOS. It seems to use Windows boot manager.
              I've upgraded now to a Z270 board, but I remember it was not difficult to get the Z77 one to boot Windows. There are two places in the BIOS to check: just make sure that in one of them (the one lower down the BIOS screen I think) is set to make the NVME drive first in the boot order!

              Michael
              Thanks a lot!!--do you think it might work with this drive as well?

              Samsung 970 Evo Plus
              Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus | Samsung V-NAND Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

                Originally posted by mr_andersson View Post
                Thanks a lot!!--do you think it might work with this drive as well?

                Samsung 970 Evo Plus
                Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus | Samsung V-NAND Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website
                I'm not sure. This is the first time I've heard of the 970 Evo Plus, but it sounds good. These are uncharted waters!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

                  Originally posted by yesnaby View Post
                  I have a GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard working with a Samsung EVO 960 1 TB NVME SSD as boot drive with Windows 7, 64-bit.
                  It's only work with Ivybridge i7 3770k (not working with Sandybridge i7 2700k) because both intel and gigabyte has told me that pci-e 3.0 x4 is only work with ivybridge for NVMe but not work with sandybridge because the sandybridge don't not support pci-e 3.0 x4 as it only support pci-e 2.0 x4 (NVMe will work for storage only but limit to halves of the speed)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H F16j 2017/11/14 with NVMe support?

                    It will still work on sandybridge but be slower
                    I use a custom bootloader from a 36mb fat32 partition on my Sata SSD to allow me to boot to Windows on NVME
                    It basicly injects the nvme module into the uefi on every boot as i cant edit the bios due to being signed by intel
                    on My Bedroom PC Intel DQ77MK with Xeon E3 1290 V2 My NVME SSD is on a PCH PCIEX4 Slot so limited to PCIE 2.0
                    it gets around 1380MB a second at PCIE 2.0 X4

                    * The PCIEX4 slot is available only when an Intel 22nm (Ivy Bridge) CPU is installed.
                    * The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX8 and PCIEX16 slots. When the PCIEX4 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode and the PCIEX8 will operate at up to x4 mode.

                    You would just have to use the PCIEX8 Slot in 2.0 X4 Mode
                    It would get more than the 1380 that my 4x slot gets as mine is a PCH 4x slot which is much slower
                    I cant see why they only allow the 4x slot to be used when an ivybridge cpu is there
                    as there's no reason for that restriction so i would be tempted to try the 4x slot anyway

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      z77x-ud5h mod 2021.04.01. f16k
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/izdmteektq...0f16k.rar?dl=0


                      with nvme

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Anyone getting full advertised PCIe 3.0 speeds with their NVMe drives ?

                        I am getting 1,900 MB/sec read speeds, not the advertised 3,500/3,000 read/write speeds with the BIOS configured to GEN3 slots.

                        The PCIe adapter card is placed in the first x16 slot.

                        TIA

                        GA-Z77X-UD5H - F16j
                        Debian 11-64bit
                        Samsung 1TB - 980 NVMe (boot drive), PCIe 3/4 Adapter
                        i7-3770K
                        32-GB DDR3 1866 CL10
                        Noctua NH-L12S with Phanteks P30-120 fan

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X