No announcement yet.

2TB limit on 4TB HD under Win 7 on Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2TB limit on 4TB HD under Win 7 on Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI???

NTFS, 4k cluster size (and have tried larger), and I can only get a single 2TB partition on the drive. The unallocated space isn't available for anything else either. EaseUS Partition Master won't let me drag the size slider past 2TB or create another partition on the unused space so the 4TB drive is stuck at 2TB. I'm using Win 7 Home Premium.

The user manual doesn't mention a limit to the size of drive or partition allowed.

Any ideas on why a drive might be limited like that? I did clone an existing RAID0 2TB array onto it at first and could resize the partition up a bit from 1.8TB to 2.0TB but that's it. I gave up fiddling with that partition, deleted everything, and started again from scratch but still no luck getting a primary partition larger than that or using the rest of the drive in another partition.

Re: 2TB limit on 4TB HD under Win 7 on Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI???

To access the full drive capacity, you will need to use the drive with GPT not NTFS settings.

If there is nothing on the drive then it shouldn't be too much of an issue to do this. Check this Microsoft link: Access Denied for more information.
    Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-AX370-Gaming K7 - PSU: Corsair AXi 760 Watt Modular
    CPU: AMD Ryzen7 1800 X - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock (AM4) - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 32Gb running at 2400MHz
    GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1050Ti - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM
    Storage: Samsung M.2 NVMe 500Gb, Corsair Force GS 250Gb SSD, SanDisk 250Gb SSD
    ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Keyboard: Logitech K800; Logitech Touchpad T650 - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by absic View Post
      To access the full drive capacity, you will need to use the drive with GPT not NTFS settings.

If there is nothing on the drive then it shouldn't be too much of an issue to do this. Check this Microsoft link: Access Denied for more information.
      Thanks! It was the initializing as GPT step that I missed. Much appreciated.

Comment

No problem, pleased to help.
        Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-AX370-Gaming K7 - PSU: Corsair AXi 760 Watt Modular
        CPU: AMD Ryzen7 1800 X - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock (AM4) - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 32Gb running at 2400MHz
        GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1050Ti - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM
        Storage: Samsung M.2 NVMe 500Gb, Corsair Force GS 250Gb SSD, SanDisk 250Gb SSD
        ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Keyboard: Logitech K800; Logitech Touchpad T650 - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Comment

Working...
        X