x399 memory avail less than installed, in both BIOS and in Win 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x399 memory avail less than installed, in both BIOS and in Win 10

I have 8 8GB dimms in my x399 Aorus Gaming 7. In the bios, it shows each slot as having 8192MB, as it should, but only 47.9GB is available in both the BIOS memory display and in Windows. These are g.skill dimms from the memory compatability list, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q2-64GVK

Probably a NOOB question, sorry, but what's happening here? I see no obvious settings in the bios that explain the missing ram. The memory shows up in resource monitor as "16.1 GB hardware reserved."

I've updated to the F2 BIOS, there's an F3d version, but that seems to involve a problem installing win10. More docs on the changes in a bios would be helpful; other vendors do this. I'm willing to try the F3d bios, but would like confidence that the "d" doesn't stand for "debug" or "development" and that it will actually fix the problem.

TIA for any help...

Re: x399 memory avail less than installed, in both BIOS and in Win 10

Originally posted by HdwJunkie View Post
    I have 8 8GB dimms in my x399 Aorus Gaming 7. In the bios, it shows each slot as having 8192MB, as it should, but only 47.9GB is available in both the BIOS memory display and in Windows. These are g.skill dimms from the memory compatability list, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q2-64GVK

Probably a NOOB question, sorry, but what's happening here? I see no obvious settings in the bios that explain the missing ram. The memory shows up in resource monitor as "16.1 GB hardware reserved."

I've updated to the F2 BIOS, there's an F3d version, but that seems to involve a problem installing win10. More docs on the changes in a bios would be helpful; other vendors do this. I'm willing to try the F3d bios, but would like confidence that the "d" doesn't stand for "debug" or "development" and that it will actually fix the problem.

TIA for any help...
    F3d bios made no difference.

Comment

Working...
    X