• Show
Clear All

• Freezes, Unresponsiveness & Hard Boots

Gigabyte GA-Z170x-SOC Force
    Intel i7 6700K
    G.SKILL F4-3866C18Q-16GTZ
    EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 (08G-P4-6183-KR)
    Corsair AX1200i PSU
    Samsung 840 Pro MZ-7PD128 (Primary No RAID)
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
    HighPoint Rocket 640L Controller Cards(x2)
    WD40EFRX (x13)
    ASUS Essence STX II
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Hello,

The above and I suppose the below is my hardware. I've been experiencing freezing during some large data transfers (Often >5TB) between hard drives on either one of the two controller cards requiring hard boots to recover. The data transfer drops to 0 and then the drive becomes unresponsive. All ports on the two controller cards (x8) are occupied by WD Red 4TB hard drives as are 5 of the mobo ports. When I leave the PC idle for long periods one or more of the hard drives on the controller cards may become unresponsive, as does Windows. Again a hard boot is required. I can access Task Manager during freezes but explorer won't respond.

I've replaced the controller cards, rearranged their orientation on the mobo and removed one card for trouble shooting. I tested all the hard drives by software and by process of elimination. I've tested and replaced memory using 1 to 4 sticks, used Windows drivers and manufacturers drivers and reinstalled Windows twice. I spoke with HighPoint, the controller card supplier and they don't think the controller cards are at issue. I agree. My sense is it's a Windows or perhaps a mobo problem.

As time goes on this is becoming increasingly frustrating. Can anyone offer suggestions, thoughts or ideas? Windows or mobo tweaks? Perhaps something I've overlooked? This is the most complicated mobo I've seen and with that in mind maybe I've missed a switch of BIOS tweak?

All drivers, firmware and BIOS are current.

Thank you,

MJ

Re: Freezes, Unresponsiveness & Hard Boots

Resolved by replacing controller cards with another brand.

Comment

Working...
    X