GA-X79-UD3 BIOS boot failure message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X79-UD3 BIOS boot failure message

I am having an intermittent BIOS boot failure during cold/warm boots or restarts. It happens randomly (i.e. not every time). Basically, on some boots/restarts, the computer will try to POST and then apparently fail and give me the "BIOS boot failure" message followed by options to load optimized defaults or enter the BIOS to reconfigure settings. All I do is enter the BIOS (which will be in a default state (i.e. with XMP disabled and everything else at default settings) and hit "save and exit" because the settings are retained but just not active. Once the computer is on and in Windows, everything is fine and I can do anything and there are no issues including long gaming sessions. It's only (randomly) during cold/warm boots or restarts.

One thing I noticed is that this only started occurring right after I overclocked my 3930K from it's stock 3.8 GHz to 4.0 GHz. I didn't change anything other than the CPU multiplier. It was a very mild overclock.

Here are the settings prior to the issue:

3930K at 3.8 GHz: 1.200 volts
    DRAM (DDR3-2133 CAS 9): 1.5 volts
    IMC: 1.000 volts
    VTT: 1.05 volts

Here are the settings after the overclock and when the issue started happening:

3930K at 4 GHz: 1.200 volts
    DRAM (DDR3-2133 CAS 9): 1.5 volts
    IMC: 1.000 volts
    VTT: 1.05 volts

Things I've tried to fix the issue that did not help:

1. Increase Vcore
    2. Increase IMC voltage to 1.05 volts
    3. Increase DRAM voltage to 1.525 volts
    4. Replace the CMOS battery
    5. Remove the overclock and go back to the settings prior to having this issue
    6. Run MemTest86 for 4 hours which reported no errors

I searched on the Internet and it seems issues like this could point to the power supply or motherboard. Any help will be appreciated.

By the way, I built this computer in January, 2012 so that should give you an idea of the age of most of the equipment (other than the graphics card).

I also do not have any spare computer parts available to test with my computer.

I've noticed one thing though. During a successful POST boot, during the POST the fans in my case, including the H100's fan's, run at a very slightly lower speed and once the POST is completed successfully they run at their full required speed. During to a boot/restart that results in a BIOS boot failure, the fans would be running at an even lower speed as if the computer is not getting enough power. Basically, I've noticed that boots/restarts that result in a BIOS boot failure message all the fans in my case would be running at a lower speed than normal as if the computer is not getting enough power. Bad power supply or motherboard?

Re: GA-X79-UD3 BIOS boot failure message

Turns out it was caused by the C States. After I disabled all C States and EIST, I no longer have any intermittent BIOS POST failures with an overclock. However, I don't have this issue when running my processor at stock (i.e. I can leave the C States and EIST enabled and will not get any intermittent BIOS POST failures).

Should I be worried about reducing my processor's life by running with the C States disabled? My 3930K at 4.2 GHz with the static/fixed Vcore of 1.225 volts idles at 70 watts. I am pretty sure this was much lower with the C States and EIST enabled.

Comment

Working...
    X