No announcement yet.

GA-Z77X-UD5H Code 32: "CPU PEI Initialization". What does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z77X-UD5H Code 32: "CPU PEI Initialization". What does it mean?

The other night, my PC was on while I went to the store. When I got back, it was starting and shutting down on its own (1 second on, no BIOS screen, then off for 3 seconds). This continues until the cord is pulled.

I've followed the general guidelines from Google searches: unplug everything, remove the board and run it outside the case, reset CMOS, etc... To no avail.

All I get are debug codes 15, then 32. The manual says that code 32 is "CPU PEI Initialization", but nothing online has explained what this means.

Can anyone help? I was in the middle of backing up family photos to Dropbox when it happened, and not all of them made it ;-(

Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H Code 32: "CPU PEI Initialization". What does it mean?

A web search using: what is boot debug code 32 will provide aditional information.

The following information might apply to your Z77X-UD5H motherboard:
    Z97X-UD5H Boot Loop Stops at Code 32 - Tom's Hardware

In the middle of the thread the OP says:

I will add one more thing though. I called gigabyte after my last post and the guy I spoke to there confirmed that the post code 32 "CPU PEI Initialization" is related to the memory initializing. He made a few suggestions. First, he said to remove the battery for one minute to clear the cmos. Then put one stick of the ram into the slot nearest the atx power connection and boot the machine. He said to go into the bios and load optimized defaults, then enable XMP Profile 1. After that, boot into windows. If that all goes well, he then suggested putting the other module into the same slot and boot into windows again. Only after all that, put in both sticks and try it with 16 GB. He said that the XMP profile must be enabled for the ram to work right.
    In the next to last post the OP says:

So it's been a while. I think the second time I booted up after my last message, I got stuck in the loop. Once I managed to boot into the BIOS (I accomplished this by unplugging two hardrives in hotswap bays), I changed a couple of BIOS settings. There are two SATA controllers. The Intel controller has been set to RAID since I have had this issue. The Marvell controller was set to AHCI. I decided to try setting it on RAID as well, on the off chance that this was causing some sort of issue (I doubt it was though). I also increased the ram voltage to 1.55 V and the System Agent voltage by +.005. I have not failed to boot since I made those changes. I booted the first stick of ram several times. Then I swapped in the second stick and booted a few with no issue. I have both sticks in now and have booted a couple of times so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is solved by something and if it happens again I will probably go up on those voltages a little more.
    It might help to check out what additional threads with other motherboard models or brands have to say about debug code 32.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H Code 32: &quot;CPU PEI Initialization&quot;. What does it mean?

Thanks for your reply! In my searches, I was using the motherboard name, which probably limited it a bit... I wasn't sure if the code was the same across all motherboards.

Sadly, this information didn't help much other than explain that it might be the memory that's the problem. I've tried booting with nothing but the CPU and memory, and still no BIOS...just code 15, then 32.

Out of curiosity, do you think trying different RAM would be a good idea? It's been years since this machine was built, and the person who helped me is no longer here. Amazon has the same brand (smaller capacity) for $40.

Comment

Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H Code 32: &quot;CPU PEI Initialization&quot;. What does it mean?

You're welcome.

The debug code descriptions might vary somewhat with different motherboard brands or models, but all or most of the post functions should be similar.

The debug codes change as your system is going through many steps while your system is posting. As each of these steps start, the displayed code changes to a new code, such as when the debug code is 15, this means that "Pre-memory North-Bridge initialization is started." When the next debug code is displayed this means that the previous step completed without errors.
        1. How long ago was your system built?
        2. Have you made any recent hardware changes to your system?
        3. Have you ever unplugged your system from the wall outlet and then carefully removed and reseated all memory modules and add-in cards?
        4. What is the specific model of your memory modules?
        5. Are the modules in the Gigabyte supported memory list? Are your memory modules in Corsair's supported list for your motherboard?
        6. Have you tried booting with only one memory module installed in the DDR3_1 memory slot? In the DDR3_3 slot?
        7. Do you have a friend who is very knowledgeable building modern computer systems?
        • It's possible that one or both of memory modules are not fully seated.
        • Don't try another brand or model of memory unless it is listed in the Gigabyte memory QVL list or in Corsair's list of compatible memory for your Z77X-UDH5 motherboard. It is OK if the memory is listed in only one of the compatibility lists.
        • Make sure that all power supply cables and all other wires and cables are fully seated.
        • It might help to replace the CMOS battery with a brand new one. You should save your current bios settings BEFORE clearing the CMOS or removing/replacing the CMOS battery.
        • Make sure that the Corsair water pump is not loose and is securely connect to the cpu.

Many problems are caused by hardware or cables that are no longer fully seated and making good contact.

I've seen several systems that would not run because there was a problem with the front panel's POWER or RESET switches or wires.
        In one case an improperly connect USB 3.0 cable prevented a system from starting.

Using the forum's Advanced Search feature provides a list of 236 threads when Search Titles Only is used and the search keyword is Z77X.

It's possible that there might be a problem with your power supply, but it's quite involved testing with a different power supply unless you are familiar with putting together computer systems.
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Please forgive any formatting errors...I'm stuck using my phone to troubleshoot, and it's actually kind of hard to type into web pages with it (especially with ads, or when I need to tab out to get a model number, only to find my text has disappeared, heh).

Originally posted by profJim View Post
          When the next debug code is displayed this means that the previous step completed without errors.
          So it might not be an issue with memory, but with the Northbridge instead?
          1. How long ago was your system built?

The system was built in 2012. You (and a few others) helped me configure my RAID array after my friend moved away (thanks again, BTW!).
          2. Have you made any recent hardware changes to your system?

On March 15th, I installed a Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD (model MZ-7KE512BW) into my case. I haven't had any issues with it yet, but haven't ruled it out as the cause. I tried my old non-SSD drive and the boot loop still occurs.
          3. Have you ever unplugged your system from the wall outlet and then carefully removed and reseated all memory modules and add-in cards?

Once per night for the past two nights.
          4. What is the specific model of your memory modules?

The model of my memory is CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10.
          5. Are the modules in the Gigabyte supported memory list? Are your memory modules in Corsair's supported list for your motherboard?

According to Gigabyte, I think so ("Support for DDR3 1600"). I wasn't able to find anything on Corsair's site, but PCPartPicker lists my motherboard as compatible with this memory (for what it's worth...not sure how accurate that site is).
          6. Have you tried booting with only one memory module installed in the DDR3_1 memory slot? In the DDR3_3 slot?

Yes, but it made no difference.
          7. Do you have a friend who is very knowledgeable building modern computer systems?

None who are local, sadly. The one who's most knowledgable is mostly only familiar with server systems and not home systems (meaning, contact retailer support, RMA...which isn't an option for me).

• It's possible that one or both of memory modules are not fully seated.

I thought of this too, but that would mean something had to have hit the case fairly hard to unseat it, right? Because it had been fine all week up until this point (it was powered on when my children said it "made some noises" while I was at the store).
          • Don't try another brand or model of memory unless it is listed in the Gigabyte memory QVL list or in Corsair's list of compatible memory for your Z77X-UDH5 motherboard.

I'll see if there isn't some compatible memory at Walmart or Target that I can test, and if not, I'll get the 2GB sticks of compatible memory (same type as what I have, different size) that was previously mentioned and test that, I guess.
          • Make sure that all power supply cables and all other wires and cables are fully seated.

Done!
          • It might help to replace the CMOS battery with a brand new one. You should save your current bios settings BEFORE clearing the CMOS or removing/replacing the CMOS battery.

I can't save my BIOS settings since I can't access it, unfortunately.
          • Make sure that the Corsair water pump is not loose and is securely connect to the cpu.

Done!

Many problems are caused by hardware or cables that are no longer fully seated and making good contact. I've seen several systems that would not run because there was a problem with the front panel's POWER or RESET switches or wires. In one case an improperly connect USB 3.0 cable prevented a system from starting.
          Crud. I'll dig back into that and see if I can reseat everything in case that's the issue.

Using the forum's Advanced Search feature provides a list of 236 threads when Search Titles Only is used and the search keyword is Z77X.
          Oddly enough, I'm not able to get search to work on this site. It tells me that I fail to answer the security question, but there isn't one displayed (I suspect it's hidden beneath an ad). For one reason or another, TweakTown refuses to load at work (probably a setting on the firewall), but I'll toss "TweakTown" in front of "Z77X" on Google and see if that gets more accurate.

It's possible that there might be a problem with your power supply, but it's quite involved testing with a different power supply unless you are familiar with putting together computer systems.
          So, more complicated than just plugging it in...that's what I was afraid of.

Comment

Many forum members have complained that accessing the forums by phone is a royal PITA.

Over time memory modules, cables or add-in cards can work loose, possibly due to vibrations from fans or hard drives or the numerous heating and cooling cycles from your system. All it takes is for something to loosen slightly for one or more of the electrical pins or contacts to make a poor connection for a system to stop working.

Your memory kit is NOT on Gigabyte's compatibility list and it also isn't on Corsair's list.

Using the G.Skill RAM Configurator for your motherboard, their list includes about 20 different 16GB 1600MHz kits; some are 2 x 8GB and some are 4 x 4GB kits. Many of their memory kits are virtually identical where the only difference is the color or style of the heat spreader.

It's not recommended to buy individual identical memory modules to make up a new kit. It's always best to by a matched memory kit where the manufacturer has tested their kit to be compatible.

There are many excellent web tutorials and/or videos that provide excellent information for troubleshooting computer systems. Naturally there is also a fair amount of so called experts that provide bad or outdated information. The only approach that works is to logically and methodically substitute one known good component at a time to track down the problem.

Make sure that the 8-pin EPS12V or 4-pin ATX_12V power supply cable is securely connected to the motherboard socket. Page 7 and page 25 in your motherboard user manual shows the location of the ATX_12V_2X4 motherboard socket in the upper rear corner of the motherboard and page 26 has instructions for this connector.

Never add or remove hardware, cables or wires while the power supply's A.C. power cable is plugged in to the wall outlet.

If the problem is due to memory issues, the cause might be with one or more memory modules, one or more memory slots, an improperly seated cpu, bent cpu pins or a damaged motherboard. A failing power supply can cause all sorts of problems, especially when booting your system. Sometimes the motherboard mounting screws can cause problems, especially if one of them is missing or loose.

I can't verify if the OP in the linked to thread understood what Gigabyte tech support allegedly said about code 32 being caused by a memory proplem but the OP did finally get his system working. Maybe you can find more information from dedicated threads like:

Comment

Hey Nebulocity,

I am litereally having this exact same problem, down to the detail, I went out for a run, came back, same issue, same error code.

I am well within warranty and have no problem RMA'ing anything, I just want to know what I have to RMA. Did you figure this out?

Best
              -Quinn

Comment

In regards to the 32 post LED message - I have a very similar problem but it manifests itself differently at different times. I have been trying to figure out the behavior to understand if it is repeatable but there is still randomness to it. I seem to have fixed the problem but I am not exactly sure what fixed it. Most often, on my Gigabyte GA-Z97x Gaming motherboard ,16 mb ram,,,on power up, it would post 15,5d,32 to the LED and then shut down and restart by itself. Boot loop I have learned it is called. In my 30+ experience with computers I have never encountered this problem.
                It started when I made a simple change to the Bios, in an attempt to install a SSD drive. (was getting a Windows error that that MRB wasnt right, blah blah blah) After the bios change to SATA, the computer went crazy with the loop. With this loop, i was not able to even get into my bios to try or change back the SATA setting I changed. I spent hours Googling solutions.
                My fix: The only way I could escape the "32 boot loop" was to remove all the installed Ram except for slot 1. It would then display on the screen for me to load the default bios settings, since I had gone through previous iterations of removing my CMOS battery and using the reset bios button, etc, it needed to be set. After this, I powered the computer off in order to re-install the Ram. The first time, I installed one Ram stick at a time to check boot up and even ran a Ram diagnostics on each Ram chip. At the time, it made sense that I must have a bad Ram module. With all 4 Ram modules installed , it was working!
                I was happy it seemed to be fixed. I turned it off and took it off the work table and secured the side panels and felt I was back in business and after it was all buttoned back up and put back into position at my desk,, it didnt work again,, the same 32 boot loop!!
                I thought maybe the CMOS battery was bad, but i put a voltmeter on it and it read 3.3 V. I left the battery out, reset the bios switch again to clear Bios, removed the Ram except slot 1 and it powered on and asked me to load the default bios settings, and boot right up. I powered it down and back up and entered the bios and changed the boot sequence. The choices were my hard drive and the other was Windows boot record. So I made Windows boot record first which seemed reasonable. I have never seen that in a BIOS setting before. I installed all 4 Ram modules and it still boots every time now.
                Now, i have it all buttoned up, sitting on my desk and it is working, so tell me what fixed it? Changing the boot sequence? One thing i know for sure, removing the Ram modules was the only way I could get it moving along.

Comment

I came here for the same problem. I took the cover to see the error code, it was 32. I booted the computer, it paused and then it finished booting. Whatever. If the error returns I'll try the suggestions.

-JJ

Comment

Been years since I've posted or been on, but figured I'd dust off the old account and let you know that I ended up RMA'ing this CPU. It was a defect/hardware issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X