GA-X58-UDR3 sees 12GB of 24GB RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58-UDR3 sees 12GB of 24GB RAM

I know this board is quite old, but I just got an extra set of the exact same RAM to bring the memory from 12 to 24GB.
    The bios sees the ram but it is not enabled.

I have seen some previous answer on how this could be fixed.

1) change from auto to manual setting for voltage, etc. I am installing a second set of 2 GSkill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL.
    2) might be a bent pin in the CPU (strongly think it is not the case)

About the first option what setting could I have for this set of ram (6 x 4GB ram)
    Also anything else can go wrong? I.E. I would think this is a compatible setup but maybe it does not support it?

Any suggestion pls let me know.

An image from the Bios M.I.T. where it shows that it sees the RAM but it doesnt enable it

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160308_234504_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	756401

Re: GA-X58-UDR3 sees 12GB of 24GB RAM

bclk 135? go to stock everything, detected then?

Comment

Originally posted by GiggaByte View Post
      bclk 135? go to stock everything, detected then?
      BCLK is indeed about 135 MHz.

Name:	20160309_153359.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	755090

I dont know what you mean by 'go to stock everything'. Could you please explain?

Comment

Start with the basics, set bios to defaults, your bclk should be 133 stock correct? Test each stick of ram individually in each slot. Also might try to disable ram profile, set to auto or loosen timings up.
        i7-3930K
        GA-x79-UD3
        Corsair H100
        4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
        X-Fi Titanium HD
        EVGA GTX 970
        Pioneer BDR-207DBK
        Samsung 850 EVO
        3XWD2002FYPS
        Corsair TX850
        Dell U2412M

Comment

Originally posted by Peakr View Post
          Start with the basics, set bios to defaults, your bclk should be 133 stock correct? Test each stick of ram individually in each slot. Also might try to disable ram profile, set to auto or loosen timings up.
          I have tested each single module they work as 4GB and they all appear as enabled one by one. BCLK is always 135 instead of 133. Ram profiling is not enabled.
          I have also tested some of the combinations as shown here

Name:	DDR3_GA.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	755091

However my sets are 2 x 3 Dimms sets. And when added only two DIMMs or 4 it shows either 12 or 8GB of Ram. I have tried both failsafe and optimised settings but I have no clue on how to change timings and how to achieve the 24GB.
          I might take a look at updating the Bios version though their discriptions dont show anything related to improvements in memory compatibility as far as I have seen

Comment

always use latest bios unless its got a known serious bug or something. forget changelogs, these board companies (gigabyte, asus, msi etc), they all type in broken english & their changelogs have always been generic & very inaccurate, such as listing 1 or 2 things when a whole set of unlisted changes or fixes also apply..

Comment

always use latest bios unless its got a known serious bug or something. forget changelogs, these board companies (gigabyte, asus, msi etc), they all type in broken english & their changelogs have always been generic & very inaccurate, such as listing 1 or 2 things when a whole set of unlisted changes or fixes also apply..
              Loaded the latest bios with @Bios. Now if i put 6 DIMMs the bios will not start and show a black screen and lots of red lights on the board.

I think i will return the set. Despite the Gigabyte description it looks like the board is not really 24 GB compatible as they say

Comment

not the board, the memory controller on ur cpu. are u 100% it can even take it at stock voltage? 6 ram slots populated isnt easy even at stock..

Comment

not the board, the memory controller on ur cpu. are u 100% it can even take it at stock voltage? 6 ram slots populated isnt easy even at stock..
                  i have tried a few different combinations of changing SPD and with 3 DIMMs it still work but any combination i have tried does not work when loading 6 DIMMs

Comment

if all the ram works when trying all the slots 3 at a time, i doubt swapping the ram for another kit will do much..

Comment

Working...
                    X