GA-z170x-Gaming 7 rev 1 Post/Boot issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-z170x-Gaming 7 rev 1 Post/Boot issues

I have always been an ASUS mobo fan, decided to try the Gigabyte GA-z170x-Gaming 7.
    At first the board booted right up, gamed excellent, firestrike scores impressive.
    Came home from work the next day, machine would not boot, this is all stock settings, no overclocking, computer acts like it wants to post but never fully posts, I figured out that every time I start the machine, either from cold start or reboot, I have to go into the settings and each time reset to default (even though its already set to default settings), I have made no changes,
    I flashed the bios from F6 to F7g, now it will post from a cold start but I have to press the reset button 4-5 times before it will post, posting takes 3-4 minutes, then another 3-4 minutes for the Operating system to boot, still will not post on first try or at all from restart, have to completely shut down.
    With the new bios F7g the machine runs (once booted) better, faster, more stable, as long as I dont restart or shut it down. Once booted code always shows (b2)
    Three separate times I have removed all hardware and rebuilt my old ASUS mobo, all hardware works, post/boot time is about 5-6 seconds.
    I have sent a message to Gigabyte a week ago, no reply.
    If I rma the board from where I live its about a two week turn around, since Gigabyte has not replied to my questions, I have no faith in an rma, it will be more economical for me to just buy another ASUS mobo locally at a higher cost than online then chance another bad board or no service from Gigabyte.
    I have been searching Google and have found that people all over are having problems with little to no support from Gigabyte, dont know whats going on with them and at this point I really dont care.

My question to you is, have you had any questions similar to mine on this board? or do you know of any settings I might try.
    This board cost a little over $200.00, a new ASUS will be a little over $400.00 locally, Im ok with that,, but I would like to try and salvage this board first if possible.

Re: GA-z170x-Gaming 7 rev 1 Post/Boot issues

Try the following :

1) Turn off pc and disconnect power cable from power supply.
    2) Remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard and leave it out for 30 mins
    3) While the CMOS Battery is out, press the CMOS_SW button as well.
    3) After 30 mins put CMOS battery back in and connect power and turn on your pc and see if that resolves your problem.

Comment

Kinda sounds like a dead cmos battery. If that happens some boards will default but, still stall and require you to go tinker with the bios just as procedure. If the battery is readily accessible maybe you can just put a new one in from the store and see what happens then?

Comment

Originally posted by Fact11 View Post
        Try the following :

1) Turn off pc and disconnect power cable from power supply.
        2) Remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard and leave it out for 30 mins
        3) While the CMOS Battery is out, press the CMOS_SW button as well.
        3) After 30 mins put CMOS battery back in and connect power and turn on your pc and see if that resolves your problem.
        Thank you for replying FACT11.

As I stated in my original post Gigabyte had not replied, this morning I received a response from Gigabyte, I am somewhat disappointed not to mention a little disturbed by their response.
        In my original post I was just looking for anyone that might have come across the same or similar problems I am experiencing, my original build was two identical machines, one for myself, one for my son, both have identical problems, both were rma'd and the replacement boards had the exact same problems.
        According to the individual from Gigabyte, they know of no issues with these boards, which means that every board purchased runs fine out of the box, so myself and every post I have come across online, we are all making this up.
        I am not going to bash this company, although I have never used their products before, others have, I also understand that assembly line mass manufacturing can and will cause problems from time to time and most all companies will correct those when discovered.
        But in this case for a company to respond saying that they know of NO KNOWN ISSUES with this specific board is irresponsible, the web is full of complaints and problems with this GA-z170x-Gaming 7 rev 1 board, they only need look.
        Its also possible that the person who replied is just plain tired of hearing complaints from people about this board.

I am going to try one last time to get this board running trying the suggestion sent to me from FACT11. If it doesn't work, then I will go and buy two new boards going back to the brand I have always used.

Below is a copy of my original question to Gigabyte and their response. I am going to repost this on every site I have been to looking for help so those that are experiencing these and other problems with this board know that Gigabyte feels that there is nothing wrong with them.

Hi Clif | B2C Website | Log Out

Search ID: <input type="text" id="txt_mailid" placeholder="Please enter the number." style="width: 301px; height: 27px; border: 1px solid rgb(201, 201, 201); font-size: 15px; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 27px; color: rgb(153, 153, 153);">
        <input type="button" id="btn_more_quest" name="btn_new_quest" value="Ask More Question" class="btn-NewQ-160" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: none; width: 160px; height: 33px; font-weight: bold; padding: 0px 12px 0px 0px; background-image: url(&quot;/images/BTN_Black_160.png&quot;); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Question: 2 computers exact same set up, exact same problems, BIOS does not stick, constantly resets, Will not set correct memory speed, Fast boot does not work, USB's do not turn on, Transfer speeds between disks is only 5 bps, Constantly reboots, Will not recognize SSD's only spin ups, Will not reboot to OS, black screen only, have to do a hard shut down for 60 seconds or more to load, Fan adjusts do not work, USB 3.0/3.1 do not work, Rejects Video card graphics defaults to on board graphics, shuts off CPU fans. Drivers for Killer Network Manager BSOD both machines, specs for both computers:GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Intel Core i7-6700K, G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3400 16g, Samsung EVO 3D 1t SSD, Seagate 3t 7200, WD 1t 7200 x 3, GTX 980 Kingpin Classified, Zalman Reserator 3 Max Dual Water Cooler CPU, EVGA 1050G 80+ PSU, NO OVERCLOCKING everything is at default settings. All drivers are updated from manufacturers, All hardware works!! bought two ASUS MoBO's to make two new computers using same hardware. Both Gigabyte boards have been RMA and replacements have same problems, I am out over a $1000.00 because your products dont work, why dont they work? All across GOOGLE nearly everyone that bought these boards are having similar problems, others report bent or missing CPU pins, not to mention the manual that comes with the boards is of such low quality that its almost impossible to read and the pictures are nearly blacked out, your website offers no help/suggestion or anything only a beta bios 7 that is not complete only offers limited corrections.PLEASE STOP SELLING THESE UNTIL YOU FIX THEM.I almost bought the G1 models, glad I didn’t, would have been out twice as much money for boards that don’t work! 1/29/2016 1:02 PM
        Answer: Dear Customer,
        We're sorry to hear that.
        It turns out that we do sell quite a lot of this particular board and haven't heard about any known issue, we understand that different people have different type of system configuration, therefore sometimes is hard to just judge the board.
        According to Intel the memory controller (CPU) can only go up to 2133MHz by default, therefore there's no guarantee when trying to go beyond this frequency:
        http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/...up-to-4_20-GHz
        Please provide the previous RMA number so we can look into it.
        Thank you.
        2/4/2016 2:27 AM
        Do you think this answer is helpful? Yes No
        Product Info
        Product Name: GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (1.0)
        BIOS Ver: F6
        Serial No: 160200003978
        Purchase Dealer: Newegg
        Brand: GIGABYTE
        Model: Intel Core i7-6700K
        Operating System: Win 10 64-bit
        Size: 16g
        Power Supply: EVGA 1050G 80+
        CPU Part No.: 6700K
        Memory Part No.: F4-3400C16D-16GTZ
        <input type="button" id="btn_more_quest2" name="btn_new_quest" value="Ask More Question" class="btn-NewQ-160" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: none; width: 160px; height: 33px; font-weight: bold; padding: 0px 12px 0px 0px; background-image: url(&quot;/images/BTN_Black_160.png&quot;); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

All intellectual property rights, including without limitation to copyright and trademark of this work and its derivative works are the property of, or are licensed to,
        GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.

Comment

Set UNCORE TO X33, do NOT USE XMP PROFILES(unless you want the reboot issue), try your memory at 2133(try bumping the memory controller voltage(MV).
          MSI X-99SLI
          Intel 5930K WATER
          EVGA Nilla 1080
          POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

Working...
          X