Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU - HDMI firmware update issue

Hi,

I've got an issue with my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU motherboard. I cannot update HDMI 2.0 firmware (Megachips) with 'HDMI 2.0 FW Update Tool' available on Gigabyte support webpage. When trying to do an update I get error message:

Code:
    'System connecting ... failed!'
    'Firmware updating can't be started!
    Please shut down system for a while and restart it!'

I'm using integrated Intel Graphics of the processor also have all the latest drivers installed.
    You can find details of my setup and error message in screenshot01.png I've attached here.

What I've already tried:
    1) Shut down the system for a while and restarted it - didn't help
    2) Upgraded BIOS to version F6f (earlier tried with F5) - didn't help
    3) Played with different BIOS settings - didn't help
    4) Loaded optimized defaults in BIOS - didn't help
    5) Run the update on completely clean install of Windows 10 64bit - didn't help
    6) Tried with external AMD Radeon graphics card and disabled integrated graphics - didn't help, however different kind of errors had appeared, check: Errors photo

How can I successfully run this update? Or is there any bug which should be fixed? Or do I have defective hardware and should RMA it?
    Anyone else here run into such problem as well?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by elc00l; 12-21-2015, 04:07 AM.

Re: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU - HDMI firmware update issue

Originally posted by elc00l View Post
    Hi,

I've got an issue with my Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU motherboard. I cannot update HDMI 2.0 firmware (Megachips) with 'HDMI 2.0 FW Update Tool' available on Gigabyte support webpage. When trying to do an update I get error message:

Code:
    'System connecting ... failed!'
    'Firmware updating can't be started!
    Please shut down system for a while and restart it!'

I'm using integrated Intel Graphics of the processor also have all the latest drivers installed.
    You can find details of my setup and error message in screenshot01.png I've attached here.

What I've already tried:
    1) Shut down the system for a while and restarted it - didn't help
    2) Upgraded BIOS to version F6f (earlier tried with F5) - didn't help
    3) Played with different BIOS settings - didn't help
    4) Loaded optimized defaults in BIOS - didn't help
    5) Run the update on completely clean install of Windows 10 64bit - didn't help
    6) Tried with external AMD Radeon graphics card and disabled integrated graphics - didn't help, however different kind of errors had appeared, check: Errors photo

How can I successfully run this update? Or is there any bug which should be fixed? Or do I have defective hardware and should RMA it?
    Anyone else here run into such problem as well?

Thanks
    I got the same promblem.
    GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU

Comment

Originally posted by bloodmaster View Post
      I got the same promblem.
      GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU
      OK. At least I know I'm not alone with this issue. Have you tried to contact Gigabyte Support?
      What components do you have in your PC?

Comment

Originally posted by elc00l View Post
        ok. At least i know i'm not alone with this issue. Have you tried to contact gigabyte support?
        What components do you have in your pc?
        i7 6700k cpu
        Kingston HX426C15FBK2/16 ram
        Samsung 950 pro hd
        Saphire r9 290 tri-x vga

I havent contact Gigabyte Support.
        Last edited by bloodmaster; 12-21-2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

same problem... and can't run the thunderbolt firmware upgrade either...

i7 6700k, G.Skill TridentZ DDR43600, 2x GeForce GTX 980 Ti (MSI Gaming), etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tt0ne View Post
            same problem... and can't run the thunderbolt firmware upgrade either...

i7 6700k, G.Skill TridentZ DDR43600, 2x GeForce GTX 980 Ti (MSI Gaming), etc. etc.
            I could run thunderbolt firmware upgrade when it came out. I'm not sure how it looks now, will check tomorrow.
            I see this is often problem... I contacted gigabyte support but they couldn't help me, they just tried the same at their service centre at it was successful so they only advised to RMA the motherboard, but I don't think it would be any different if I got a new one based on your inputs.
            I wonder is here anyone directly from gigabyte who could comment or forward this case to engineers team? Or you guys could create a ticket at gigabyte to see what support in other regions has to say about it (compared to my region).
            Besides it's a pity gigabyte doesn't share the changelog of those firmware updates or I couldn't find it.

Comment

I've just contacted Gigabyte support today. I'm also having problems with the GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 non EU. The only reason i went with a gigabyte motherboard was for the hdcp 2.2 support. I've tried every solution with no results. I'm hoping its a software issue and not hardware. I'm currently running Win 10 64bit with msi r9 390. I've also tried connecting both the displayport and hdmi input with cables connected to some devices and then tried to update the firmware. It did take alot longer for the error message to pop up. I've also had success with the thunderbolt update, although im not sure if its working properly since i dont have any devices to test.

Comment

I am also having the same Issue with Thunderbold and HDMI firmware update.
                The first thunderbold update went fine weeks ago..

GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1 @ Bios F7a

Comment

I tried Thunderbolt fw update and I cannot update now because I already have the newest version but I don't get at least any connecting failed message.
                  I also tried yesterday with my monitor connected via HDMI because normally I have it connected via Displayport but nothing has changed.

Guys please contact gigabyte support about this issue, maybe they will notice that there's really some problem and they fix it. Also let us know here their answers.

Anyone there who has successfully updated HDMI?

Comment

Anyone there who has successfully updated HDMI?

I have the Gigabyte Z170X gaming 7 with I7 6700k Samsung 950Pro m.2 ssd, 2 x 8gb Kingston fury 2400mhz mem, W10 64 bits, Asus GTX670 internal Gpu swithed off.

Updating "Megachips"driver 1.00.1002 went without any problem, however updating the Firmware did not succeed

Had no need voor de Thunderbolt driver, but just did an install and this went without any problem

driver installed 15.2.32.250

I have the z170x gaming 7 first edition non eu I assume.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermopname (4).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	755081
                    Last edited by polypenko; 12-24-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Same problem here... I have been able to apply the Thunderbolt firmware but it is impossible for the HDMI one.
                      My computer has a 950Pro just as polypenko in it with the Samsung Driver installed, I think that it is possible that this device can bring problems but I don't know how...

Just another question maybe relative to this issue. I have a Nvidia Graphic card installed but have activated the iGPU just in order to be able to install the drivers relative to it. All went good but it is impossible to open the Intel Control Panel (even with the non-shortcut application). Is it normal or definitely an issue with all the Intel Graphics line (is there anything between the HDMI FW update and the Intel Graphics support?).

I contacted Gigabyte support this morning and am waiting for an answer.

Comment

I have Samsung 850 Pro and have this problem, so I wouldn't say your SSD is the culprit.
                        I cannot answer to your second question as I don't have external graphics.

All of you who contacted gigabyte support, please let know here what they answered about this issue.

Comment

Hi,

The Gigabyte support told me to remove the Nvidia Graphics from my computer and plug the HDMI directly to the motherboard in order to update the FW.

Have you tried this? My display is not HDMI so I cannot do it now.

Comment

I also don't have HDMI display but I used DVI to HDMI adapter so I had display connected to HDMI port on motherboard and it didn't change anything, error was the same.

Comment

I will try to connect it to my TV when I have a long enough cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X