Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

Sometimes (upon cold boot only) the system will struggle to post, halting and sticking at various stages, or sometimes powering off and back on a moment later. From here it may or may not continue this cycle several times. Which can lead into a few different conclusions including; Properly posting and booting normally; or Giving me the "boot failure BIOS reset etc." screen which ALWAYS appears twice (I usually select "enter BIOS" then just save and exit and after doing this the second time, it will boot properly); or the final thing it may do is just boot, but with the BIOS reset. The system is 100% stable once booted, this issue persisted after a BIOS update from F6 to F7 to F8 as well.

XMP Setting made no difference (currently off (manually set))
    System Agent and CPU IO voltages are already bumped up (will test more)
    This happens whether overclocked or not (though much more frequent when overclocked)
    I have found that if the BIOS code reaches C5 it WILL boot, otherwise it starts hanging on (usually) C2, C3. and if it completely hangs, it'll sometimes change to C0 or 20
    Peripheral hardware seems to make little or no difference (complete testing is difficult with an intermittent problem)
    I may test a PSU swap, but may not be worth the trouble, as once it's booted its 100% no problem @ 4.8GHz, this is just an annoyance.

Re: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 occasional cold boot failure

I have a Gigabyte Z87, but, it does exactly the same thing. I've reserved myself to only letting it sleep in order to avoid this issue. It is truly a pain and would love to know if there is a solution. I'd love to be able to turn off my machine when leaving for a couple days and know that my machine will work when I get home. Because of this start up behavior, I'm always wondering if 'this time will be the time it stops working'

Comment

Originally posted by lemjello View Post
      I have a Gigabyte Z87, but, it does exactly the same thing. I've reserved myself to only letting it sleep in order to avoid this issue. It is truly a pain and would love to know if there is a solution. I'd love to be able to turn off my machine when leaving for a couple days and know that my machine will work when I get home. Because of this start up behavior, I'm always wondering if 'this time will be the time it stops working'
      This must be Gigabyte tradition, I also have a GB Z68 board that exhibits similar symptoms, we have at least one thing in common; Crucial memory, are you running 4 DIMMs? (this may not mean much though, as my Z68 has done this with Corsair sticks once)

I have always had suspicion it might be memory related. I have Ballistix Tracer modules which have the activity lights, making it easy to tell when the memory initializes. And after the memory lights up (after code C5) it WILL boot.
      Last edited by Enzarch; 12-02-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Yes, same exact ram, and yes, all 4 slots. Which, I know Gigabyte is really touchy when all 4 slots are used, but, I figured once it's running, that's it. Honestly, I don't remember if it did the same thing without all the ram slots filled or not. But, yes, same thing here...most of the time anyway....once the lights on the ram start going, I know it will start up.

Comment

On initial testing, looks like latest beta BIOS might solve this with an interesting workaround (F9A for my Z97X Gaming7)

It appears that upon halting during boot, it will hot restart automatically without forcing you into the BIOS or resetting

Although its not a true solution, It means no more human intervention during power-up, If this works consistently, I will be quite happy.

Comment

Is that with the official BIOS? :edit: I see you said beta :edit:
            I use the modded BIOS to unlock all 4 cores to turbo to 3.8, so, it would need to be an updated mod bios for me....for all I know, it is out there already and has been for a while since it's been at least a year since I flashed to the F10mod bios for my board...

Either way, no human interaction=fantastic! Good find on you, and thanks for posting it!

Comment

Quick update after a few days with F9A: The problem still exists, but seems to be far less frequent.

Comment

Great info lemjello!!!

Finally, someone to talk about my rig.

Is this F10 mod bios available and what is modified in it?
                Can you help me as I see some strange behavior in keeping all storage fit.
                Win 10 permanently and repetitively claims NTFS structure errors which are minor but annoying.
                I have to check what is causing it. Most probable it is BIOS parameters.
                I have Kingston memories on XMP set.
                Kingston HYPERX DDR3-2400MHz Savage 32 GB, Ga-Z97X Gaming7 and Intel Core i7 4790K, Crucial NVMe CT1000P1SSD8, MSI GeForce 1070 Gaming Z

So Please if you can advise me source for this BIOS,
                most important Bios Mod (I implemented myself) is M.2 full support for NVMe CT1000P1SSD8 for boot from it.
                For now, I have official last BIOS modded for M.2 support it means F8. I am using this machine for rendering still images and ealk in movies for Architectural models.

Is that with the official BIOS? :edit: I see you said beta :edit:
                I use the modded BIOS to unlock all 4 cores to turbo to 3.8, so, it would need to be an updated mod bios for me....for all I know, it is out there already and has been for a while since it's been at least a year since I flashed to the F10mod bios for my board...

Either way, no human interaction=fantastic! Good find on you, and thanks for posting it!

Comment

Originally posted by Piotr Kozlowski View Post
                  Great info lemjello!!!

Finally, someone to talk about my rig.

Is this F10 mod bios available and what is modified in it?
                  Can you help me as I see some strange behavior in keeping all storage fit.
                  Win 10 permanently and repetitively claims NTFS structure errors which are minor but annoying.
                  I have to check what is causing it. Most probable it is BIOS parameters.
                  I have Kingston memories on XMP set.
                  Kingston HYPERX DDR3-2400MHz Savage 32 GB, Ga-Z97X Gaming7 and Intel Core i7 4790K, Crucial NVMe CT1000P1SSD8, MSI GeForce 1070 Gaming Z

So Please if you can advise me source for this BIOS,
                  most important Bios Mod (I implemented myself) is M.2 full support for NVMe CT1000P1SSD8 for boot from it.
                  For now, I have official last BIOS modded for M.2 support it means F8. I am using this machine for rendering still images and ealk in movies for Architectural models.
                  I'm sorry, I don't have this board anymore. But, I found the BIOS in the Gigabyte Support section of this forum. Search in the modified Bios section, you will find it. It's mostly to change the all core speed to have all cores turbo boost to max frequency if I remember correctly. Maybe some other things too, but, that was what I was mainly after when I did it. Somewhere in here GIGABYTE Modified Bios

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't have this board anymore. But, I found the BIOS in the Gigabyte Support section of this forum. Search in the modified Bios section, you will find it. It's mostly to change the all core speed to have all cores turbo boost to max frequency if I remember correctly. Maybe some other things too, but, that was what I was mainly after when I did it. Somewhere in here GIGABYTE Modified Bios
                    Thank you for prompt response.

QQ the link is for older chipset bioses up to z87, the board is with z97.

One is not cleared yet by you : did you have M.2 NVMx on this board with full support with these bios?

Please answer ASAP I need my PC for serious work now, and have only this weekend to set up <> solve all malfunctions in both 7 and 10 systems.
                    BTW, Windows 7 has no problem with this config but 10 is like virus... all time have problems with software and hardware.
                    I really Hate!!! MS for this.
                    Last edited by Piotr Kozlowski; 02-07-2020, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Your board is in there. It’s just many pages in the thread.
                      But, as far as M2 drive, no, never had that running. Not till I got a z370 board did I even think about it.
                      I’m not sure if the mod bios add support for the drive or not. Could be worth the search. That thread goes on for days. You’ll see, it might be on page 100 or something crazy like that. You gotta go way past all the old chipsets, where people start requesting bios mods. That’s where you will eventually find the one for your board. I found one using search. There are just so many pages on that thread that I didn’t have time to find and link the exact page.

Comment

i have the gigabyte z170x gaming 7 4x8gb 3000 mhz trident z rgb ram o.c too 3200mhz and cl14 the motherboard is touchy with ram over clocks on the non k 6700 i caN TELL YOU FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. sorry hit caps but dont want to retype that at all, so i wouldn't be able too boot whats so every over 2666 until i turned my ref clock too 133 instead of 100...and as mentioned i have all 4 slots full. i recommend you update your bios honestly.but clearly if your trying too bclk o.c on a non k cpu than im sure you may or may not need that bios your on rite now too do soo and if its overclocked but this happens when you turn the pc on i wouldnt consider that as stable...yes it may work once you go through your daily ritual to get it on...but it seems like theres a problem somewhere if you ask me...if your solely doing the ram o.c than i find that all you should need too do is increase the ram channel voltage to 1.36v i did not have to increase vcco or system agent in order to get my ram overclock but im only overclocking my ram, not bclk at all, i will mention though that even though i did not have too add voltages too those things too get my pc too boot i did add a little voltage too them because i feel it just made my pc run a little little bit better and i have a cooler thats able too deal with the extra heat. have you tried seeing if your pc will boot normally with no overclock going at all? if not could you? and let me know what happens? im interested in trying too help in what ever way i can if im able too. ill also try re reading your issue too make sure im understanding correctly and try looking more into it too see if others are also having this issue...but i for one say i always been an msi mobo type of guy, but once i went to gigabyte and got things steady i really really love their products...before i knew anything about computers i felt like gigabyte was a cheap crappy company but their products have proven my nonfactual bias opinion otherwise. i also dont think that these types of issues only happen in gigabyte motherboards...i think it happens all the way across the board with every and any company that manufactures any types of electronics, everyone's motherboard is different with different combinations of cpus, ram ect installed soo noone can know for certain how they will react and it comes down to trial and error too fine tune yours to work properly...but that should be half the fun of all of this :) its not alll about gaming and work!

Comment

these are the different types of error codes that can or will pop up on the debug l.e.d on the motherboard.. just incase you didn't have them i just wanted too share them with you
                          10 | PEI Core is started
                          11 | Pre-memory CPU initialization started
                          12~14 | Reserved
                          15 | Pre-memory North Bridge Initialization started
                          16~8 | Reserved
                          19 | Pre-memory South Bridge initialization started
                          1A~2a | Reserved
                          2B~2F | Memory Initialization
                          31 | Memory installed
                          32~36 | CPU PEI initialization
                          37~3A | IOH PEI initialization
                          3B~3E | PCH PEI initialization
                          3F~4F | Reserved
                          60 | DXE Core is started
                          61 | NVRAM initialization
                          62 | Installation of the PCH runtime services
                          63~67 | CPU DXE initialization started
                          68 | PCI host bridge initialization started
                          69 | IOH DXE initialization
                          6A | IOH SMM initialization
                          6B~6F | Reserved
                          70 | PCH DXE initialization
                          71 | PCH SMM initialization
                          72 | PCH devices initialization
                          73-77 | PCH DXE initialization (module specific)
                          78 | ACPI Core initialization
                          79 | CSM initialization started
                          7A~7F | Reserved for AMI use
                          80~8F | Reserved for OEM use
                          90 | Phase transfer to Boot Device
                          91 | Issue event to connect drivers
                          92 | PCI Bus initialization Started
                          93 | PCI Bus hotplug initialization
                          94 | PCI Bus Enumeration for detecting how many resources are requested
                          95 | Check PCI device requested resources
                          96 | Assign PCI device resources
                          97 | Console Output devices connect
                          98 | Console input devices connect
                          99 | Super IO initialization
                          9A | USB initialization started
                          9B | Issue reset during USB initialization process
                          9C | Detect and install all currently connected USB devices
                          9D | Activated all currently connected USB devices
                          9E~9F | Reserved
                          A0 | IDE initialization is started
                          A1 | Issue Reset during IDE initialization process
                          A2 | Detect and install all currently connected IDE devices
                          A3 | Activated all currently connected IDE devices
                          A4 | SCSI initialization is started
                          A5 | Issue reset during SCSI initialization process
                          A6 | Detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices
                          A7 | Activated all currently connected SCSI devices
                          A8 | Verify Password if needed
                          A9 | BIOS setup is started
                          AA | Reserved
                          AB | Wait user command in bios setup
                          AC | Reserved
                          AD | Issue Ready to Boot event for OS Boot
                          AE | Boot to legacy OS
                          AF | Exit Boot Services
                          B0 | Runtime AP installation Begins
                          B1 | Runtime AP installation ends
                          B2 | Legacy option ROM initialization
                          B3 | System reset if needed
                          B4 | USB device hot plug-in
                          B5 | PCI device hot plug
                          B6 | Clean up of NVRAM
                          B7 | Reconfigure NVRAM settings
                          B8~BF | Reserved
                          C0~CF | Reserved

S3 Resume

E0 | S3 Resume is started
                          E1 | Fill boot script data for S3 resume
                          E2 | Initializes VGA for S3 resume
                          E3 | OS S3 wake vector call

Recovery

F0 | Recovery mode will be triggered due to invalid firmware volume detection.

F1 | Recovery mode will be triggered by user decision.

F2 | Recovery firmware image is found.

F4 | Recovery firmware image is loaded.

F5-F7 |Reserved for future AMI progress codes.

Error

50-55 | Memory initialization error codes.

56 | Invalid CPU type or speed.

57 | CPU mismatch.

58 | CPU self test failed or possible CPU cache error.

59 | CPU micro-code is not found or micro-code update is failed.

5A | Internal CPU error.

5B | Reset PPI is failed.

5C-5F | Reserved.

D0 | CPU initialization error.

D1 | IOH initialization error.

D2 | PCH initialization error.

D3 | Some of the architectural Protocols are not available.

D4 | PCI resource allocation error. Out of resources.

D5 | No Space for Legacy Option ROM initialization.

D6 | No Console Output Devices are found.

D7 | No Consoles Input Devices are found.

D8 | Flash update has failed.

D9-DA | Can't load boot option.

DB | Flash update has failed.

DC | Reset protocol is failed.

DE-DF | Reserved.

E8 | S3 Resume is failed

E9 | S3 Resume PPI is not found.

EA | S3 Resume Boot Script is invalid.

EB | S3 OS Wake call is invalid.

EC-EF | Reserved.

F8 | Recovery PPI is invalid.

<F9> | Recovery capsule is not found.

FA | Invaild recovery capsule.

FB-FF | Reserved.

Comment

Originally posted by deadlock0345 View Post
                            i have the gigabyte z170x gaming 7 4x8gb 3000 mhz trident z rgb ram o.c too 3200mhz and cl14 the motherboard is touchy with ram over clocks on the non k 6700 i caN TELL YOU FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. sorry hit caps but dont want to retype that at all, so i wouldn't be able too boot whats so every over 2666 until i turned my ref clock too 133 instead of 100...and as mentioned i have all 4 slots full. i recommend you update your bios honestly.but clearly if your trying too bclk o.c on a non k cpu than im sure you may or may not need that bios your on rite now too do soo and if its overclocked but this happens when you turn the pc on i wouldnt consider that as stable...yes it may work once you go through your daily ritual to get it on...but it seems like theres a problem somewhere if you ask me...if your solely doing the ram o.c than i find that all you should need too do is increase the ram channel voltage to 1.36v i did not have to increase vcco or system agent in order to get my ram overclock but im only overclocking my ram, not bclk at all, i will mention though that even though i did not have too add voltages too those things too get my pc too boot i did add a little voltage too them because i feel it just made my pc run a little little bit better and i have a cooler thats able too deal with the extra heat. have you tried seeing if your pc will boot normally with no overclock going at all? if not could you? and let me know what happens? im interested in trying too help in what ever way i can if im able too. ill also try re reading your issue too make sure im understanding correctly and try looking more into it too see if others are also having this issue...but i for one say i always been an msi mobo type of guy, but once i went to gigabyte and got things steady i really really love their products...before i knew anything about computers i felt like gigabyte was a cheap crappy company but their products have proven my nonfactual bias opinion otherwise. i also dont think that these types of issues only happen in gigabyte motherboards...i think it happens all the way across the board with every and any company that manufactures any types of electronics, everyone's motherboard is different with different combinations of cpus, ram ect installed soo noone can know for certain how they will react and it comes down to trial and error too fine tune yours to work properly...but that should be half the fun of all of this :) its not alll about gaming and work!
                            {PLEASE}

Edit this, it is unreadable...

So many orthography errors and no punctuation...
                            show some respect not only hardware...

Comment

Working...
                            X