Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow boot after 980 gtx install

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a slow win7 x64 boot issue I've been experiencing since I installed an MSI Nvidia 980 gtx (no problems with previous 780 gtx). My PC appears to boot to the welcome screen in good time, then hangs for 30 seconds or so. After that, I see a black screen for maybe 60 seconds before my desktop finally loads.

I flashed my G1.Sniper Z87 (rev. 1.1) with the F4 BIOS but the problems persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

I neglected to mention that I'm using driver 353.30 from nvidia.
    Last edited by Paganist; 07-19-2015, 10:35 AM.

Re: Slow boot after 980 gtx install

Originally posted by Paganist View Post
    Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a slow win7 x64 boot issue I've been experiencing since I installed an MSI Nvidia 980 gtx (no problems with previous 780 gtx). My PC appears to boot to the welcome screen in good time, then hangs for 30 seconds or so. After that, I see a black screen for maybe 60 seconds before my desktop finally loads.

I flashed my G1.Sniper Z87 (rev. 1.1) with the F4 BIOS but the problems persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

I neglected to mention that I'm using driver 353.30 from nvidia.
    Please post your specs including OS and OS type installation (UEFI or Legacy)
    Post also your bios settings about this tab:
    http://s21.postimg.org/60alw1dxj/gig...1sniper_b5.jpg

Your graphic card may some issues btw:
    MSI Geforce GTX 970/980 4G bugfix and feature VBIOS update available

Note that Win 7 need "CSM support" enabled (Always) to boot among other stuff.
    Posting BIOS settings and specs will help us to help you.
    regards
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-19-2015, 05:55 PM.
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybehr View Post
      Please post your specs including OS and OS type installation (UEFI or Legacy)
      Post also your bios settings about this tab:
      http://s21.postimg.org/60alw1dxj/gig...1sniper_b5.jpg

Your graphic card may some issues btw:
      MSI Geforce GTX 970/980 4G bugfix and feature VBIOS update available

Note that Win 7 need "CSM support" enabled (Always) to boot among other stuff.
      Posting BIOS settings and specs will help us to help you.
      regards
      Thanks for your reply.

I don't know anything about OS installation regarding UEFI or Legacy. All I can tell you is that Win7 x64 was installed on an SSD, without any prior changes being made in the BIOS.

I downloaded MSI Liveupdate and it reports that my VGA BIOS is the latest on offer.

I took some screenshots for you:

http://agnostics.webspace.virginmedia.com/bios.jpg
      http://agnostics.webspace.virginmedia.com/bios2.jpg

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know anything about OS installation regarding UEFI or Legacy. All I can tell you is that Win7 x64 was installed on an SSD, without any prior changes being made in the BIOS.

I downloaded MSI Liveupdate and it reports that my VGA BIOS is the latest on offer.

I took some screenshots for you:

http://agnostics.webspace.virginmedia.com/bios.jpg
        http://agnostics.webspace.virginmedia.com/bios2.jpg
        Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
        for posting images!

Your Win 7 was installed in "Legacy mode" since you tell me that no changes was made to the BIOS after Win 7 installation. "Legacy mode" for Win 7 is fine. Actually it is the best unless you're dual booting with Win 8.

Since "Fast Boot" and "Secure Boot" are UEFI features:

- Disable "Secure Boot", save and reboot

I don't know if you used the latest MSILiveupdate but there you go if you didn't:

http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/LiveUpdate.zip

If that still not does it, put "Boot Mode Selection" at "Legacy only", save reboot

Again thank you and please post back even if everything is fine
        Regards
        Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-19-2015, 07:05 PM. Reason: clarifications
        Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
        GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
        16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
        OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server

Comment

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
          for posting images!

Your Win 7 was installed in "Legacy mode" since you tell me that no changes was made to the BIOS after Win 7 installation. "Legacy mode" for Win 7 is fine. Actually it is the best unless you're dual booting with Win 8.

Since "Fast Boot" and "Secure Boot" are UEFI features:

- Disable "Secure Boot", save and reboot

I don't know if you used the latest MSILiveupdate but there you go if you didn't:

http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/LiveUpdate.zip

If that still not does it, put "Boot Mode Selection" at "Legacy only", save reboot

Again thank you and please post back even if everything is fine
          Regards
          Hmm...I disabled secure boot and changed boot mode to legacy only but the problem persists. I guess some other devious thingy needs to be exposed.

Comment

Hmm...I disabled secure boot and changed boot mode to legacy only but the problem persists. I guess some other devious thingy needs to be exposed.
            Sorry that didn't help.

- Put "Other PCI Device Rom Priority" to Legacy

I'm checking on MSI forums also.

Request the latest vBIOS there:
            https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=123.0

MSILiveupdate don't pick the latest always.
            It seems that the latest VBIOS version is 114 (that is newer than 143) but check with GPU-Z
            I also see:
            "Some people in there saying Guru3D's Driver Sweeper fixed it." but you should wait until you have exhausted more options for that though
            Is your Win 7 installation brand new?
            Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-19-2015, 08:25 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Sorry that didn't help.

- Put "Other PCI Device Rom Priority" to Legacy

I'm checking on MSI forums also.

Request the latest vBIOS there:
              https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=123.0

MSILiveupdate don't pick the latest always.
              It seems that the latest VBIOS version is 114 (that is newer than 143) but check with GPU-Z
              I also see:
              "Some people in there saying Guru3D's Driver Sweeper fixed it." but you should wait until you have exhausted more options for that though
              Is your Win 7 installation brand new?
              Ok, I gave Drive Sweeper a try and now everything is super fine. I'm guessing there was some left over nastiness on the driver front before I installed my 980.

I very much appreciate the time and effort you put into this. I even learned some stuff about BIOS settings. Thank you very much.

Comment

Ok, I gave Drive Sweeper a try and now everything is super fine. I'm guessing there was some left over nastiness on the driver front before I installed my 980.

I very much appreciate the time and effort you put into this. I even learned some stuff about BIOS settings. Thank you very much.
                You're welcome. Glad it's fixed and you learn a bit in the process about BIOS. That's is a big plus for you. Next time you will install a new OS in UEFI, you will know where to adjust settings in the BIOS.
                Have fun with this beast
                Regards

(please rate the thread if you have time, thanx)

Comment

Working...
                X