X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

Originally posted by TheBrabo View Post
    Hi Teddybehr,

Here is what I get in the partition wizard tool with all my drives attached:

Imgur

-TheBrabo
    Obviously you didn't remove your other SSD/HDD
    Anyhow,

- First plug your USB key that you use for flashing the BIOS
    - Open Minitool and post another picture
    - Select the 100 MB FAT32 partition on the first SSD (238.47GB) in Minitool, Right-Click, select Explore
    - Post a picture (or pictures) of the window with ALL directories expanded (like in my signature)
    - Move your files from the USB key (if you want to keep them), delete all files on the USB key and reformat your USB key in FAT32 (the goal is to have a non-bootable usb key with just the BIOS file that you will flash on it)

- Put the BIOS file to flash on the USB key
    - Do not flash yet
    Come back here. The goal is to fing a file with the extention ".efi" that doesn't belong to Windows 8.1
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Here are the requested screenshots from Partition Explorer:

Partition Explorer - Album on Imgur

-TheBrabo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Here are the requested screenshots from Partition Explorer:

Partition Explorer - Album on Imgur

-TheBrabo
        Hi. Thank you.

I have another request.
        Please open a command prompt and type "bcdedit /enum all /v"
        post image please

READ CAREFULLY AND DO ALL Steps In the right order

I assume your USB Key has been re-formatted. If not do it now then format it FAT32
        Put the BIOS File on the USB key and remove the key
        Disconnect any USB device except keyboard and mouse
        Search extensively for any file on your SSD/HDD E: and F: that has the extension ".efi" (serach "*.efi") even in the hidden files
        If you find something delete it.

Shut down computer, un-plug power cord
        Disconnect all SSD/HDD except the Samsung 850 pro which contains the OS
        Re-plug power cord and Start computer

You will start a command prompt in admin mode
        To do that put your mouse cursor all the way in the bottom left corner of your desktop.
        Right-click...a menu will appear...select "Command prompt (Admin)"
        In the new window that will appear you will type "Diskpart"

From there you will follow the guide from the link beginning at "Start diskpart:" after the picture of a light blue screen that says "Advanced options"
        How to repair UEFI Bootloader in Windows 8 | Windows OS Hub

At the step "Select volume 1" that might not be the volume 1 for you
        You will select the volume that's says FAT32 that is 100MB
        Let's say it is volume 3 then you will write:
        "select volume 3" instead of "select volume 1"
        you continue to follow the guide

Once you did everything in the guide, type
        "exit" 2 times
        shut down your computer, remove power cord for 30 seconds, put the USB key in a USB port, replug power cord
        - Power on and immediately enter QFlash (press the "end" key many times before booting)
        - Flash your BIOS 20e with QFlash, it will then cycle, when the computer shuts down after the 3 seconds count down...remove the USB key quickly before it boots
        The computer will boot you in BIOS

Go in advanced mode
        - Load optimized settings (F7), save, reboot, re-enter BIOS
        - Put "OS type" at "Win 8"
        - Put "CSM Support at "Always"
        - Put Boot mode selection at "UEFI and Legacy"
        - Put "Storage Boot Option" at "UEFI only"
        - Disable "Secure boot"
        - Save, reboot

That should do it this time
        Don't forget to Reformat your USB Key in Fat32 before all this
        Post back I will try to make you boot in full UEFI if everything is good
        If everything is fine, you can re-plug your other SSD/HDD assuming you have not found any file finishing by .efi or have deleted them on E: or F:
        Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-20-2015, 08:24 PM. Reason: more info
        Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
        GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
        16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
        OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

So I followed your instructions with a few twists.

I couldn't find "bootrec" running Windows as my admin user so I assumed it was a recovery-environment specific command & booted into the "command prompt" environment where I was able to follow the bootloader guide successfully.

I followed the rest of your instructions & wound up with "UEFI:850 Pro" & "P0:850 Pro" as my boot options. Booted windows & confirmed I was in UEFI mode. Shutdown & re-connected the other devices. Now I see:

UEFI:850 Pro
          P0:850 Pro
          P1:850 Evo
          P2:WD Black
          P3:DVD-ROM

in the boot options, I can see the disks in the disk boot order, the DVD in the DVD boot order & there's no sign of the phantom UEFI devices. I think it's all working as we hoped.

I did miss the "Secure Boot" option in the BIOS. I saw the grey text showing "Disabled" not the option below that was enabled.

So what do we do to get me booting in "full UEFI"? What do I do about UEFI support in my graphics card? I have always been able to see the BIOS graphic & the BIOS (except when I was trying to get the CPU graphics enabled to use with LucidLogix & QuickSync) through my GPU.

-TheBrabo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

So I followed your instructions with a few twists.

I couldn't find "bootrec" running Windows as my admin user so I assumed it was a recovery-environment specific command & booted into the "command prompt" environment where I was able to follow the bootloader guide successfully.

I followed the rest of your instructions & wound up with "UEFI:850 Pro" & "P0:850 Pro" as my boot options. Booted windows & confirmed I was in UEFI mode. Shutdown & re-connected the other devices. Now I see:

UEFI:850 Pro
            P0:850 Pro
            P1:850 Evo
            P2:WD Black
            P3:DVD-ROM

in the boot options, I can see the disks in the disk boot order, the DVD in the DVD boot order & there's no sign of the phantom UEFI devices. I think it's all working as we hoped.

I did miss the "Secure Boot" option in the BIOS. I saw the grey text showing "Disabled" not the option below that was enabled.

So what do we do to get me booting in "full UEFI"? What do I do about UEFI support in my graphics card? I have always been able to see the BIOS graphic & the BIOS (except when I was trying to get the CPU graphics enabled to use with LucidLogix & QuickSync) through my GPU.

-TheBrabo
            Damn insomnia

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are were you want to be (or near).
            Your Windows 8.1 (as an OS) now boots in UEFI mode!!!!
            From now on, if something happen, you just reset CMOS (little black button), Load optimized default settings, put the settings as they are now and Win 8.1 will boot in UEFI mode (instead of the P0:XXX) like it does now.
            Again from now on boot Win 8.1 in UEFI only (Storage boot option control= "UEFI ONLY")

Your computer do not boot fully in UEFI for now but that is not very important
            So far, I see mixed info
            From that link your 270 do not have a GOP vBIOS (UEFI booting capability)
            VGA Bios Collection: Gigabyte R9 270 2048 MB | techPowerUp

You can always ask in other forum
            I will get back to you within 24h

You can always try to set "Boot mode selection" at UEFI (at your own risk, I would wait for more info if I were you)
            and see what happen
            We will try to make it boot in full UEFI as close as it gets if not fully
            Congratulation for all your efforts!!!!
            Regards
            Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-21-2015, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Yes, I saw that about my video card....I found another database of cards online & was shocked at how many cards don't have UEFI bios.

I'm not sure what\where the "Boot Mode Selection" setting is but I do have the system set to explicitly boot "UEFI:850 Pro". Is that the same setting?

I'm eager to see what you suggest I change next. I certainly appreciate your help!

-TheBrabo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Yes, I saw that about my video card....I found another database of cards online & was shocked at how many cards don't have UEFI bios.

I'm not sure what\where the "Boot Mode Selection" setting is but I do have the system set to explicitly boot "UEFI:850 Pro". Is that the same setting?

I'm eager to see what you suggest I change next. I certainly appreciate your help!

-TheBrabo
                Yeah, Microsoft and hardware manufacturers did a piss poor job at implementing UEFI. Even now only a handful of ppl knows about UEFI secure boot and the boot keys

I was exhausting all possibilities so I was in my way in.
                Your card is not UEFI boot compatible. You can ask Gigabyte support if they can provide you with a GOP UEFI vBIOS (or hybrid vBIOS).

The settings that make Win 8.1 boot exclusively from a SSD perspective is: "Storage Boot Option Control" = "UEFI Only"
                With that settings the BIOS will boot only a SSD/HDD/USB Key that has a UEFI boot loader. Check your pictures that you made of the 100MB FAT32 partition. You will see them: bootmgr.efi bootmgfw.efi memtest.efi

Regarding the "Boot Mode Selection" when enabled it will show you only the "UEFI: XXXXX" (nothing to gain here you will have to specified VGA booting at Legacy anyway)
                If your graphic card do not support UEFI, You have to put CSM support at "Always" (to enable the options ROM aka, OpRom)

If your card support UEFI booting then you set CSM support at "Never" (or disable) from now on you can (only with Win 8.1 and 10):
                - turn on fast boot and ultra fast boot
                - secure boot (no one want this one trust me, I have had many request to debug many that put the keys and enable secure boot and it was causing more harm than good)

For more explanation you can go there. Parsec explain way better than me
                http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ot-solved.html

That being said, if you look at my specs you will find that I modded my non-UEFI HD 8650 to a UEFI HD 6850.
                To be honest, it doesn't change much. Especially that I had to enable CSM support for Win 7 afterward for dual booting
                Search previous post. I indicated couple of links where someone can have it modded. I do not recommend it though.
                You don't miss much, Trust me. (maybe with the new NVMe powered SSD it will make a difference)
                Congratulation again. You should be proud with all the efforts you made to turn a MBR Legacy booting Win 8.1 to a Win 8.1 UEFI booting.
                You will also be ready for Win 10 UEFI mode (since you boot Win 8.1 in UEFI mode)
                Hope it helps

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

I was poking around with some of the system info tools and when I ran GPU-Z I noticed this:

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/15/07/26/n.png

Check out right under the AMD logo...the UEFI checkbox is ticked. I suppose that might make sense given that I've been able to boot with the CSM set to "Never" even in the darkest days of my boot process being screwed up.

Is there something else I can use to confirm that this video BIOS supports UEFI?

Further research comprising of watching half a video on Youtube of some guy & what he did to modify his 270 BIOS for UEFI boot shows that I have a block of (GOP BIOS?) code in a dumped image of my video BIOS in the location indicated in the video.

I suppose I ought to change to CSM= "Never" & see what it does? Can't be any harm in that!

-TheBrabo

Comment

Working...
                  X